BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Which high-performance air filter for the stock intake?

Hey all. New 135i owner here and had a quick question about air filters.

From what I've heard, replacing the whole intake does little for performance (for a stock 135i) and only increases the "woooooosh" slightly. And when BMW pops the hood on my new car, I don't want a huge distracting intake on staring at them saying "if anything is wrong, just blame me!"

So this leads me to just swapping out the air filter and leaving the stock intake intact.

Assuming I just replace the filter, which filter would you recommend? Here's the ones I'm considering:

K&N Filter - $57
aFe High Performance Filter - $84
Helene Streamline Filter - $? (their store appears to be down)

I'm thinking that a dry filter would be simpler and easier to maintain.

Any thoughts on brands, cost, value, dry-vs-oiled, or just the general topic?
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

What about adding the ITG foam filter to the list too?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
What about adding the ITG foam filter to the list too?
Give me a link to the product and the price and I'll add it in. Their site was not very helpful.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Give me a link to the product and the price and I'll add it in. Their site was not very helpful.
well, this is where I first saw it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=ITG+filter
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

i got a practically brand new aFe drop-in for sale used only for about a month, swapped it out for a dual cone intake. It REALLY helped my gas mileage and throttle response, $60 shipped, PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Personally I'd stick with the stock filter.

There are only two ways to increase the flow through an air filter:

A - Add more surface area
B - Make it filter less

BMW uses good factory air filters with very little wicking, so you're not going to gain much surface area, so that means any performance gain is coming from the fact that the holes in the filter material are larger, which means more dirt into the engine. The quality filters aren't going to make any more power, and the filters that make more power aren't going to be good for your engine.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Here's another to think of

Macht Schnell - N54B30 High Performance Panel Filter
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2205

Features of the N54B30 High Performance Panel Filter:
- Direct replacement for your original equipment filter panel
- Washable/reusable cotton gauze which allows more airflow
- Sturdy sidewall construction ensures filter will last the life of the vehicle
- Tight leak proof seal with your factory air box
- Deepest multi-layered pleats increase air flow and maintain critical protection levels, while still providing maximum air delivery
- Maintains OEM filter’s 99% debris collection efficiency to meet ISO 5011 standards
- Maintains BMW engineered pressurized air box and OEM appearance

Models Supported:
2008+ 135i
2006+ 335i
2008+ 535i

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

The general consensus is that the Helene filter is the best. I have the Helene filter, and I love it. Looks very sturdy, sounds good, and has excellenet filtraton.
Unfortunately, Helene no longer manufactures their filter for the n54 motor. EAS used to stock the filter, and then mysteriously switched over to an almost identical Macht Schnell filter.
I'd say go with the Macht Schnell product. At $89, it's slightly more expensive than the alternatives but has far superior filtration and provides a noticeable gain in throttle response and turbo spool noise. That is, if it's almost identical to the Helene filter as I believe. That'd be my choice.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Noticeable gain in turbo spool noise? How is this achieved by a simple drop-in filter? Is the stock filter really that muffling?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

Save your money and stick with the stock filter. There was some dyno testing of numerous filters done quite a while back, and none of them outperformed the stock one. Some actually lost power vs stock. I'll see if I can dig up the link for you.
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

Found the link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=drop+filter
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Noticeable gain in turbo spool noise? How is this achieved by a simple drop-in filter? Is the stock filter really that muffling?
It IS noticable, however it's not a massive difference. You can also hear a little bit of suck when you get on the throttle while revving the car. It definitely allows more flow.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 02:16 AM   #13
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbNH View Post
Very helpful, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 02:59 AM   #14
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

aFe for sure