BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Service Engine Soon Light - low fuel level

So, last two tanks of gas, my SES light turns on once I get the low fuel level warning....around 35 or so miles left. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and what the cause could be. Car runs strong no other issues or codes showing. Did some search on here but doesn't seem this has occured/re-occured before. Should I take it to get checked....would need minor remodding....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Try filling it up before you get the low fuel level warning. Personally, I never let mine get below 1/4 unless I'm on a long road trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

It really shouldn't do that. It's possible the in-tank (low pressure) fuel pump is failing. It's also possible that it's simply a bad reading from the fuel level sending unit. I'd say a quick code scan would get you pointed in the right direction. If you don't want to spring for a BT scanner, the ones from Autozone will read the standard OBDII codes and give you quite a bit of information. You can pick them up for under $100. It might be worth knowing what the problem is before you start pulling mods off.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Try filling it up before you get the low fuel level warning. Personally, I never let mine get below 1/4 unless I'm on a long road trip.
Well, I've had it a year and just started, so not sure that filling up earlier is a solution....though I have read that letting the level get too low is supposed to not be good for the engine. I'm in CT; running 93 octane 100% of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It really shouldn't do that. It's possible the in-tank (low pressure) fuel pump is failing. It's also possible that it's simply a bad reading from the fuel level sending unit. I'd say a quick code scan would get you pointed in the right direction. If you don't want to spring for a BT scanner, the ones from Autozone will read the standard OBDII codes and give you quite a bit of information. You can pick them up for under $100. It might be worth knowing what the problem is before you start pulling mods off.
I'm going to stop by ICS (imported cars of Stamford) - those guys are the best with BMW's and I'll have them scan it - good idea Jeremy. I'll see what they show up and update the thread.
Appreciate 0