BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
superpowers
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Undercoating...yay or nay?

I'm taking delivery of my 135i in mid-late August (hopefully) and I'm wondering what are some of your opinions on undercoating...

Anyone experienced both having it and not having it? What are the differences?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Undecoating? as in Rust Protection?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
superpowers
Private
Rep

hmm, not too sure. i've had it done on my old vehicle..which they spray this rubbery material on it.

it does sound deadening and rust protection...supposedly.

don't know if it's 2 different types of things though. or material :S
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
macmook
Semi-Geezer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Here's a direct quote from "Consumer Reports":

Today's new cars have much better corrosion protection than cars of the past. Serious rust problems have almost vanished in modern vehicles during their first 10 years.

And here's a quote from BMW:

Rust protection for 2006 and newer models.
For 2006 and newer models, we also provide a 12-year limited warranty rust perforation warranty without mileage limitation. This warranty is for defects in materials or workmanship that results in rust perforation of the vehicle body. This coverage period begins at the start of the New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty.

Regards,

Alex

'09 135i ragtop, 6MT, Crimson, Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

consumer reports must not ever visit the midwest
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

You will not need it. Notice that theyre are a lot less Ziebarts and no more Rusty Jone's? It is a waste of money. Even Ziebard and the Auto deals no longer push it. Ziebart now does Sunroofs' and sealants. save your money.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
grish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

When a friend of mine got his Z4M in Toronto last year and wanted to do an undercoating he was told it would void the BMW 12-year rust warranty.
      07-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

that may be true

but they still rust in the midwest, salt does not care if you have galvanized parts
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
macmook
Semi-Geezer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I live in NY where they used to use "salt" at the first flake of snow. I never had a problem, but that may also be because it was SOP to run through the car wash periodically during the winter. And not to get in a pi$$ing contest, but NY winters are pretty crappy. Maybe not the amounts of snow, but the coastal wintery mix of slush and ice. I believe that the slushy combination of water and salt is a problem, but for a lot of reasons I believe a good rinse in fresh water is better than rust coating. (having said that - I DO replace the zinc anodes on my boats ferrous parts every year)

In the last few years "salt" has become both an expense for local government and an ecological nightmare for compliance purposes. Now some less toxic (at least until the birds start to mutate) and more expensive material is used, which has most local "salting" reduced to severe conditions.

That means it gets REAL slippery out there.

Another reason for not needing the undercoat - In 40 years I don't think that I've kept a car for more than 4 years tops. (except the '68 Beetle - but that gets garaged in winter)

I suspect if you read the agreement for the T&Cs of the undercoating it will be no better (and probably worse) than the coverage you get from BMW.

As "shodanusmc" reports, there are far fewer of those rust insurance outfits still in business. At best rust proofing only delays the inevitable, steel and iron will eventually rust. Those companies use the FUD factor to make the sale. (not to diverge too much from topic - but Microsoft is masterful at utilizing FUD in dozens of ways)

UNLESS of course, you intend to drive that puppy for a dozen years...Me, I swear undying allegiance forever to my 135 now, but in a few years some smokin' hot new model will catch my eye - you know how it is. My wife of 32 years doesn't mind, as long as we're talking about a car...

Regards,

Alex

Last edited by macmook; 07-01-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
that may be true

but they still rust in the midwest, salt does not care if you have galvanized parts
I live in the Chicago area, and the only way it will rust is if you have exposed metal....from a scrap or accident. You have a real good BMW warranty. My cars have not rusted....Years ago, back in the 80's I bought an Toronado and had it Ziebarted. Guess what, it rusted in the lower door corners because water would not drain....they are worse than nature. Go ahead, spend your money.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

google bmw rust or bmw rust warranty and read the threads, all cars rust it's a fact of life
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
macmook
Semi-Geezer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Not to hijack this thread, but HOLY SMOKES - a TORONADO shodanusmc???!!!

I don't think I've known anyone who had one of those babies. Very advanced for an American car, amazingly ahead of other US models, but a face only a mother could love...

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep

Yes, but it rode real nice....it had major problems, lived in the shop, and after I spent hundreds for the Ziebart package is rusted......but that 1/2 Vinyl top sure did shine up real nice. It was an 84. Believe I apid around 16,000 or so for it new. Ziebart also messed up the paint. The moron that did it took off too much.

Now, I will not keep a car longer than 4-5 years. The BMW will go at the end of the warranty.

I guess It is a personal opinion as weather to rustproof. I remember my Dad always paid the deal $25 to Undercoat his new cars. Not sure what it did, but he swore by it. THey still rusted though, but that was in the 60's....Damn, I am old!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
superpowers
Private
Rep

guess i'll stay away from the undercoating then. i was thinking about doing so because my SA asked me.

my car is still waiting for delivery...i've got roughly 2 more months to wait...hopefully it will come sooner -_-
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
kb2dhg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quite honestly, I would not do it... The best way to insure rust proofing is to keep the car clean. Washing the ubder carrage and wheelwells is the key...
Rust happens when dirt is allowed to accumulatr and the moisture it absoebs start to effect the strrl underneith. KEEP IT CLEAN AND YOU SHOULD BE OK!
My Toyota truck is 15 years old and I never had it rust proofed, I keep mit ckean and to this day not a spot of rust!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The 1 series undercarriage is almost completely sheathed in a plastic covering, so there is really nothing much to undercoat. Tell your SA not to try and increase his comission check at your expense.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
"Rust proofing" is pretty much a classic scam for dealerships. There's virtually nothing they are going to do that will have any long term benefit to your car. True rust protection is based on proper engineering, design, material selection, manufacturing and operation, none of which is affected by the dealer. Good manufacturers use chemical treatment and multiple stages of priming/painting/sealing. What do you think the dealer will do for a couple hundred bucks? Smile to himself as he takes your money.
      07-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

I grew up in Kansas City. I'm fairly certain there was no "rustproofing" on my '77 Impala, that my family owned from when it was new until 1994. My parents had a '94 Olds that they purchased in '94, moved to Florida with in '98, and sold a year or two back. No rust on it. I owned a few cars before I moved to Texas in '99, no rust on any of those. No dealer in KC even tried to sell me rustproofing. Even the brochure for my '97 Camaro specifically said not to do it.

But yeah, better rustproof that BMW, imported mega says it's gonna rust, no doubt about it.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

If you want something to hold back rust, use the krown system - available in Canada.

Other rustproofing compounds dry out, crack, and turn into acidic components as they decompose. A good waxy, lanolin or equivalent based compound will not do this, will self-heal, and will offer protection.

Texaco rustproofing compound L is also highly regarded.

Think of these essentially as a thick, self-healing wax that prevents the intrusion of water or corrosives into parts where they may attack.

Undercoating, on the other hand, has the potential to be porous, sets and does not "creep", and will not self-heal as a result. because of this, any error in application, or any breach of the coating yields a situation where water and corrosives can enter but not readily dry or leave. This is trouble.

So do it right, by keeping paint well sealed and applying a waxy compound where corrosion can occur. Do not undercoat.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

Its a well known add on scam to be honest... avoid.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

my brothers 2001 toyota, was not undercoated

undercoating does wonders in the midwest, not so much anywhere else, I would never do it to a bmw as they should not be drivin on salty roads unless it's a lease I guess

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The illustrated rust on the toyota would not have been reduced by undercoating or rust proofing the underside. Surface rust is due to a failure of the paint.

Galvinized parts do not rust until the zinc is gone. Zinc oxidizes much more readily than steel or iron. When it oxidizes, it prevents the underlying steel from rusting (oxidizing). It is not like paint, it is a electro-chemical reaction. Even with a scratch, there is protection. Sacrificial anodes in water heaters work the same way.

I also would not rust proof a modern car. I do not live in the snow belt anymore but when I did, I did not get it. You have a warranty and a well engineered car. If you keep it reasonably clean, there shouldn't be an issue.

Jim