ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Where do you.....

hide your gun? Under the steering wheel in a permanently mounted holster seems like a good spot.
      07-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
banger
Rep
Drives: 2008 Si Roadie

Convertibles are really not all that good for the securing of the firearm.

That said, I think the trunk would be the best place for security, at least for the short term.

Watch out for humidity though, my trunk doesn't leak, but it does get humid.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I'm buying the first aid kit and hoping that a glock 26 will fit inside. I keep a short double barreled shotgun in the trunk on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Philly isn't THAT dangerous, but I do drive around some bad parts with my top down periodically. I would NOT want to get caught in a bad situation with my walther in the TRUNK. As for someone stealing the weapon, well... I wouldn't leave it in the car, I can take it with me. Under passenger dash is way too exposed. Under steering wheel is much easier to access, and well hidden. Under seat in a med kit would be fairly hard to reach for too
      07-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

yes, I have a permit to carry
      07-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I keep mine in my sleeves... ::kisses biceps::

I don't even own a gun, don't really need to around where I live though, although I have seen a few threads on this, maybe I can find them with a little digging...

If you have a permit to carry, I take it you have a hip holster and not one on your side/chest? If you did why wouldn't you just keep it there while driving if you are going to take it with you when you get out?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
pollila
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
I'm buying the first aid kit and hoping that a glock 26 will fit inside. I keep a short double barreled shotgun in the trunk on long trips.

I cant tell if he's joking or not.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

I don't even own a gun, don't really need to around where I live though, although I have seen a few threads on this, maybe I can find them with a little digging...

If you have a permit to carry, I take it you have a hip holster and not one on your side/chest? If you did why wouldn't you just keep it there while driving if you are going to take it with you when you get out?
full size gun, uncomfortable to sit with in bucket seats
      07-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Maybe you could rig the driver side cup holder to carry a gun so you just press and pop it out when needed. you can use it to hold a drink anyway.
      07-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

what about something like this...http://www.securityprousa.com/vesehocarseh.html
      07-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Get a spare transmission tunnel net like on the passanger side and mount it on your side. Security school teaches to keep it under your left leg between it and the seat barrel facing your door handle towards the steering wheel, as you are most apt to be accousted from your side. the gun is pointed the correct way for you to grab it and raise it towards your intruder. That's where I keep mine in "those" parts of town. Don't shoot yourself in the a$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Get a spare transmission tunnel net like on the passanger side and mount it on your side. Security school teaches to keep it under your left leg between it and the seat barrel facing your door handle towards the steering wheel, as you are most apt to be accousted from your side. the gun is pointed the correct way for you to grab it and raise it towards your intruder. That's where I keep mine in "those" parts of town. Don't shoot yourself in the a$$.
great info. Does the school teach you to keep it chambered and cocked? Seems like a lot of room for error if you have to chamber a round while sitting in a small car, but also risky storing it ready to fire
      07-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

Thinking about this for vehicle protection....I just don't think this pistol would fit in the first aid box?

Last edited by BZZZE; 07-21-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

You are my hero, Hawk! And here I thought the girls were just interested in the roll of half dollars in your pocket!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
full size gun, uncomfortable to sit with in bucket seats
Full size gun is a challenge. I carry a XD40 sub compact in a Don Hume side holster and it works pretty well, I also have a Ruger LCP .380 to toss in my pocket when I don't want to carry the XD, but then shot placement becomes more critical.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

glad to see some fellow forum members exercising their 2nd amendment rights

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollila View Post
I cant tell if he's joking or not.....
not joking
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I am glad I saw this thread. I don't really keep anything in my car so the lack of a console isn't THAT big of a deal until I tried to find a place to put my pistol. My the console in my SLK55 was just right for my XD40.

Might try the first aid box idea. Too bad there isn't room where the ashtray/lighter is under that little door.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #19
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
great info. Does the school teach you to keep it chambered and cocked? Seems like a lot of room for error if you have to chamber a round while sitting in a small car, but also risky storing it ready to fire
I carry a revolver, they don't jam. I don't carry an auto for protection and I would think if a person had to pull an auto, chamber a round, you might as well carry a hammer, it would be quicker. I don't worry about accidental discharge with my auto, it is a double action, and I carry one in the chamber. Your style, experience et al may differ, don't do what I do. Better yet, stay out of the bad part of town.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #20
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
I carry a revolver, they don't jam. I don't carry an auto for protection and I would think if a person had to pull an auto, chamber a round, you might as well carry a hammer, it would be quicker. I don't worry about accidental discharge with my auto, it is a double action, and I carry one in the chamber. Your style, experience et al may differ, don't do what I do. Better yet, stay out of the bad part of town.

well, I think if I had easy access from under the steering wheel, I could pull it on a hypothetical carjacker, and while he's shitting his pants looking down the barrel I'd have time to chamber he round.
      07-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #21
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

My wife carries a S&W Airweight .38 with a Crimson Trace Laser grip so all she has to do is aim and pull the trigger and if it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again- in that respect revolvers are nice since you don't have to worry about jams.

The XDs I carry have a trigger and grip safety and I carry one in the chamber. The XD is a single action gun but has one more safety than the Glocks the police carry, I am always cognizant to NOT touch the grip safety when holstering/unholstering and have no qualms about carrying it loaded. I know lots of 1911 guys that carry theirs locked/cocked and loaded, I have friends that don't carry with one in the chamber. It really depends on what you are comfortable doing. Polarizing argument

My brother is a LEO and he compares having a gun without one in the chamber to a car with no gas.......but his training is that you might not have the seconds to spare if you're not ready to go. My thoughts are if I am pulling a gun out of the holster in a defense scenario, there is a 99% chance I will have to use it and I would rather it be ready to go.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep

I have been having a little fun with this thread but it is a good question and deserves a healthy discussion. It is interesting that more and more people who would normally never consider going armed are now considering personal protection.

There is no point carrying if you don't have one in the chamber. Guns are not to bluff with. Flashing a gun is a felony assault with deadly force in most jurisdictions. If it needs to come out you had better have crossed the threshold for use of deadly force and be willing to use it or don't carry!

I personally like 1911s and Glocks. But for car carry, 1911s carried condition one and Glocks are potentionally more of a risk with improper handling in an emergency situation. Especially,if you are not proficient at gun handling. ( ie. keep your finger out of the trigger guard until on target.)

Also pistols are not the manstoppers the movies make them out to be. They are just a tool to get to a long gun or better yet to disengage from the fight. Therefore, either a revolver or double action auto in the biggest calibre you are comfortable with would be a great choice for car carry. Weight should not be a factor unless it is doing double duty as a CCW gun.

Access being a key point. It might be best to securelly fasten a holster to the underside front of the driver's seat. If you are depending on a concealled carry piece, just remember it will probably be hard to access in an emergency while seated in a car. Of course if you are assaulted while attempting to enter your vehicle it would be invaluable. So why not carry both if your state allows CCW permits.

A holster such as this could easily be fastened to the underside of the dash or seat and allows for quick access. A towel that matches your interior could add a little concealability if neccessary.
http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/...-86-1-all.html

There are a lot good double action first round autos available to choose from. Autos are generally more expensive and require more maintenance than revolvers especially in dirty or harsh envoirnments like car interiors. Since their is increased risk of theft from a vehicle why buy an expensive gun for this purpose. Buy one you can afford to loose and report it if it is stolen.

Let add that I always recommend a pistol for female and inexperienced gun handlers usually in .38 spl. The S&W Airweight is a personal favorite. Great choice for your wife. I got my then gf one for Christmas a few years ago and she loves it.

Last edited by BZZZE; 07-09-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0