BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
128hiway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

128i Final Decision!

This is one of the best (informational and organized) forums I've seen...Ya'll rock!

On June 19th, 2009 I walked into my neighborhood BMW dealer and placed an order for the exact BMW 128i that I wanted. The info on this site really helped out in my purchase decision. Thanks!

Being the Addicts forum that this is...the post are heavily weighted towards the 135i. I'd toatlly love one...but my final decision was about a bit of balance. So not that you asked but how did I end up ordering a:
128i coupe
Alpine White
Premium Package w/ Coral Red + Grey Poplar
Premium hi-fi system
HD Radio
Ipod and USB adapter
Background
My first car was a parental gift...a 1979 Oldsmobile Delta 88. We nicknamed it "the Tank". My parents bought it new in '79. I drove it as my learner car in high school (the mid 90s). My college/first real job car was a used 1987 Crysler LeBaron (coupe...probably the only non-convertable they ever built!). I drove this until it started falling apart on me...when I bought my first new car.

I'm currently driving a 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S, 6-speed manual, with 205,000 miles on it. I bought it new in early 2001 during what I hope is my worst ever experience buying a car. I got the price I wanted, but walked out the dealer door the end of the day fuming at the experience. This specific Toyota dealer's service department has lived up to that same dismal quality of service ever since. Don't get me started...it's been a good thing I haven't had problems with it....

My Celica has been a great car. I've had no major problems with it and other than the expected maintenance over 8 years and 200,000+ miles (oil changes, new tires, new batteries, light bulbs burning out, a serpentine belt change, and an intermittant short in my autodimming rearview mirror). It's been fun to drive too...1.8L 4-cylinder with 180 HP, nice for a small light car that sticks to the road like glue...and has given me 32 MPG for virtually every tank of gas since day 1 (90% highway driving at 70-75 mph). It even held up okay after a Toyota Corolla ran a red light, spun me 180degs, and took out the driver's side rear quarter panel/wheel...and then 2 years later a Chevy Tahoe ran a red light (one block over from the first accident) and I planted my license plate into his driver's side front wheel (I needed about 1 more foot to stop).

I've been on the hunt for a new car for a while. I commute 55 miles every day (one way, 110 round trip) to work - it's esentially all highway driving, so my primary car requirements were (not in any specific order) 1) Comfort 2) Fuel economy close to 30 mpg 3) safety features...this is Texas...I'm surrounded by guys that think you need an F-250 ... well just because it's in their blood 4) STYLE and fun! My two complaints? 1) I have really hated driving the Celica on the highway in the torrential downpour's of the Texas Gulf coast...a bit more weight on those 4-wheels would certainly help and 2) The road noise is TERRIBLE.

The search:
I was seriously considering a Lexus IS250 for a while, but I really got turned off after a visit to the dealer and realized that to get a manual transmission...they offer ZERO upgrades or packages. And after a bit of a wait the style started to look boring...and I stared to look elsewhere.

I really liked the styling of the Audi A5. But the price balance when factoring in some desired options just didn't make sense. I still love the styling of the A5/S5 but for what I wanted in a car...it was just out of my price range.

Then I started to hear rumors of a dedicated Lexus hybrid platform. I was interested...sweet gas mileage would be nice in the comfort of a Lexus. Then they started releasing the details. The styling of the Lexus HS250 was a complete turnoff...and it only got 35 mpg on the highway. WTH...they could just toss a diesel in it ... get a 10x improvement in driving experience and better gas mileage (can you say 3-series diesel?) ... and avoid the complexity of a hybrid system. So that was a non-starter.

I find Acura's to be too bland. And for some reason I've just never gotten into the styling of Infinity.

My wife turned in her leased BMW 325ci in February and opted for an SUV...we ended up putting her in a Mercedes GLK...and she absolutly loves it. Call this the crazy part but she mentioned "why not a 1-series"? I'd been pretty cold on the idea of a 1...it just never looked good to me in pictures...but the BMW dealer is only 5-min from our house...so WTH...a test drive could't hurt. I also didn't really want a 3 for me...I don't like the styling on the sedan, and the coupe just seems too "pretty" for me lol. Besides ... they're a dime-a-dozen around here (in the city...not around all those F-250s where I work lol).

The Test Drive
I test drove a 128i coupe in early June. Like a lot of other people I found the car to be way better looking in person than in the original BMW photoshoots. My focus has always been on the 128i instead of the 135i...mostly because I just don't "need" the 135's engine...nor can I internally justify the fuel economy reduction. Want? Sure...but as long as I stay out of driving one...I'm not going to know what I'm missing...and this way I seriously reduce my chances of getting to know the Texas State Troopers personally!

The dealer didn't have any manual's around so my test drive was in an automagic. This wasn't a big deal to me since all the reviews give the BMW a nice manual transmission. The dealer was great...the CA I wanted to see (who helped with our 325ci lease) wasn't in that day (I just randomly stopped in)...but one of the other CA's helped me out and passed all my info (by my request) onto our previous CA - who kindly followed up 2 days later with a phonecall and all his contact info. At the end of this visit I realized that if I'm getting a 1...I'm ordering it. We did a quick inventory search for a white/red manual 128i...with exactly zero hits in the continental US...no problem...I've waited 8 years and 200k miles...a little longer won't hurt for a new car!

Feel free to flame me on this...but the "feel" of driving the 1 reminded me a lot of my Celica (well more when it was new than now lol!). It's a similar size, it's quick firm and fun, and the internal layout is very driver focused. The visibility is 100x better than my Celica (who knew a car that small could have blind spots!). And wth...it's a BMW. The whole thing just feels and is...solid. And now that I've matured a little...having that 6 under the hood instead of a high strung 4...feels right.

For fun...I called up my insurance company to check how much this was going to set me back for coverage. To my suprise and delight her estimate was essentially the same that I've been paying on the Celica forever...really? sweeet.

After doing some more research online, a week later I stopped back in (randomly again) to look at the 1's again (with the wife). This time we were checking out the options. Did I really want the sport seats like ya'll recommend? Or were the "premium package" ones fine. (I didn't really want the sport package...personal preference for not quite that firm of a ride/suspension since I feel like I live on the highway). My CA was in that day...and he nicely hinted at trying to figure out how serious I was. Being my typical non-commital self (in a way I'd been shopping for the "right" car for about 18 month by now) he pretty much got the idea that I was still unsure...and did his best to really help answer all my questions. As a super bonus for me...the wife (her first in person look at a 1'er) loved it.

The Decision:
Back home and more online research. A week or so later I call my CA to set up an appointment with him at a good time for me...for about a week out. I show up and basically straight up say that I want to sit down and order me a 1'er! At his suggestion...and a total suprise to me...he asks if I want to test drive one again just to make sure before we go through the details. He comes back with the keys to an auto 128i coupe (again no manuals on the lot) with the instructions (to paraphrase) "go have fun...and feel free to come back in an hour or so. Hit the highway...hit in-town...whatever.". I was basically floored by the whole idea and of course took up the offer. We hit the highway...we hit the twistiest road nearby...we had a good time.

Back in the dealer...we work through what I want...the options...the details. Lucky for me I get inserted into an early July production slot the dealer already had. Production completed July 1. On a boat due into NY today...and anticipated delivery to the dealer EoM. With both our 325ci lease and now my future 1...my experience with the BMW dealer has renewed by belief that there really can be an enjoyable car buying experience!

What has sucked about this whole thing? Waiting. waiting. waiting. Fortunatly I have your posts to cruise through everyday to keep me going!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Funny, I am currently driving a 2001 celica but I only have 90K miles on it...I am probably going to order a 135i in September if I cant find a used 2008-2009 M3 with low milage for under 50K in the next few months...

I never had a problem with the Celica except for when I let my mother borrow and she drove into a lake and flooded the engine through the Cold Air Intake.

But I must ask...why not M-Sport or Sport Package on the 128i dude? its is awesome!
      07-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Congrats! Your dealer seems really cool too! Have fun browsing around on here while you wait

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Great story. I am still waiting but not much longer. My PCD is 7/21. As you can see from my signature, I spent my money on the convertible top rather than options. We agreed on the color, however.

Jim
      07-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
Great choice, I have a 128i on order too but I also want to know why you didn't choose the sports package. The seats and suspension alone are both worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Because of the mileage you put on a car the 128 is the right answer for you. Turbo charged cars (gas not diesel) are known for being temperamental. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 135, but I only drive 7000 miles a year in it (most of it for fun).

I had a 2000 celica GTS also. You are really going to enjoy the torque difference. The HP to weight ratio may be close for the two cars, but the torque of the 128 makes is a much quicker and fun car.

Last edited by gargoyal; 07-16-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

Wow...in the time it took you to type that out, you could have picked out a car, negotiated the price, been approved for financing and taken delivery. haha
      07-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Wait... you DIDN'T get the sport package? GET IT PLEASE YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Even if you don't like the M-Sport rims (I don't like them on the 128i), the seat and suspension upgrade on the 128i is awesome!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Wait... you DIDN'T get the sport package? GET IT PLEASE YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Even if you don't like the M-Sport rims (I don't like them on the 128i), the seat and suspension upgrade on the 128i is awesome!
Thats what i said homeslice!
      07-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
128hiway
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Wait... you DIDN'T get the sport package? GET IT PLEASE YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Even if you don't like the M-Sport rims (I don't like them on the 128i), the seat and suspension upgrade on the 128i is awesome
Hehehe...I know I let ya'll down ... it is heresy to go w/o the sport package around here. I really thought about it...promise! My reasons are probably a bit lame...this is a commuter car for me and the slightly softer ride w/o sport was appealing. I also wanted the flexibility to rotate the tires...which you lose with the sport package due to the mismatched sizes (as it is buying new tires every 12-18 months sux). It's already built and on the water...so I'm pretty committed at this point.

Quote:
Wow...in the time it took you to type that out, you could have picked out a car, negotiated the price, been approved for financing and taken delivery. haha
heheh...I type fast? I had an hour or so where my computer was tied up chugging through data. Web surfing is about the only thing that doesn't crash it...

Quote:
I never had a problem with the Celica except for when I let my mother borrow and she drove into a lake and flooded the engine through the Cold Air Intake.
I've been lucky here...driven through more 2+ feet of water than I should have. When my 1 gets here...never again!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

The 1er sport suspension is soft enough as it is!!!

And the sport seats more comfortable and adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
128hiway
Enlisted Member
Rep

How about I make a deal with ya'll. After I knock out another good 200k miles on this car...I'll make sure my next BMW has the sport package I have to upgrade slowly...I can't spoil myself all at once...that would just be wrong!

I have a friend that just finished European delivery on a 535i with the sport package. I ordered my 128i when he was flying over to Germany...and I should take delivery about 2 weeks before his makes it back home (after a 2 week tour of Europe). I have to give BMW credit...if you can get a production slot quick from the dealer...they're supply chain rocks. The longest part of the whole thing is going to be the slow boat across the pond.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

One of my main reasons for not getting the Sport package is that the steering wheel was too fat for my child-sized hands! Pretty ridiculous, huh?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by annsue View Post
One of my main reasons for not getting the Sport package is that the steering wheel was too fat for my child-sized hands! Pretty ridiculous, huh?

That's weird, I thought the steering wheel only changed if you got the M-Sport package on the 135i?

Anyway I totally agree with you, I can't use the bigger steering wheel so the M-Sport pack is definitely out for me. But I can get a 128i with a sports pack and the steering wheel is reasonably sized!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
That's weird, I thought the steering wheel only changed if you got the M-Sport package on the 135i?

Anyway I totally agree with you, I can't use the bigger steering wheel so the M-Sport pack is definitely out for me. But I can get a 128i with a sports pack and the steering wheel is reasonably sized!
The other 2008 135 convertible I test-drove had the Sport package and it may have had the M steering wheel as well. In fact, I think it did. I know it had the paddle shifters. I guess I really didn't tune into the details as much on that one since I was more interested in the one I had decided to buy. Sorry if I gave you bad information!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by annsue View Post
The other 2008 135 convertible I test-drove had the Sport package and it may have had the M steering wheel as well. In fact, I think it did. I know it had the paddle shifters. I guess I really didn't tune into the details as much on that one since I was more interested in the one I had decided to buy. Sorry if I gave you bad information!
No need to apologize. I also tested a 135i convertible with the m-sport package and did not like the steering wheel one bit. Yay for regular sized steering wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

It's funny about the steering wheel - my wife just gone from a 120d non sport to 125i sport. i ask her how she's liking her new car - she said her favourite thing is the steering wheel. She's chinese and small with little hands .
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

Great!

128i is a very good commute car. I drive it every day (30mile each way, 99% on highway), and get about 26 mpg. I have a lot fun.

Funny, I skipped 1 series because the look on paper even though I thought it fits my requirements quite well. It is much better to look it in person as you mentioned indeed and once I did that I made my decision pretty quick. I did not test drive 135i at all.

Now, with 14000 mile on it, I have not yet to do the first oil change. It has 6000 mile to go based on OBC display but it will hit 1 year mark soon so I'll get 1st oil change anyway at that time - about 16000 mile actual mileage.

Congratulations on your 128i!