BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
1BimmerRod09
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BSM 135i

New 1er Mem. ideas and mods info

Alrite so just became a member and picked up my BSM 135i. I want to get opinions and info on some of the many mods out their and pics. My future plans hopefully include an ECU reflash( Dinan stgII ), and exhaust( Dinan free flow, BMW Perf. or other), intake air scoops( RR or AFE ) and maybe more after. Info advice opinions ideas and pics welcome. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Any reason you are going with Dinan for the performance parts? The main advantage is the warranty guarantee but IMO there are much better aftermarket alternatives that are not only more reasonably priced but offer better performance. The JB3 software upgrade is real popular with other members (we are running it on Jon's 335) and there are a variety of exhaust options out there in either cat back or muffler replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

There are plenty of threads with mods/pics and opinions...I would spend some time reading/searching...plenty to see
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

welcome to the forum! nice choice on BSM!! i agree with Nick about cheaper and better performing mods. there's a few nicely modded BSM's on here, check out my sig for my mods list and look at all the threads i created for pics. what interior did you get btw?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
1BimmerRod09
United_States
Rep

Thanks. i was getting a deal on dinan so i was gonna go with it and i like that they remap the whole ECU including water pump and a real warranty. i dont need all the performance just to unleash the the awesome potential to make the even more ultimate driving maching. not racing just even more fun to drive. ive searched and wanted to hear more. thanks

and the interior is fully loaded black since it was the only one left but still love it with the BSM. thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Welcome! My One is BSM on Blk leather also. I decided to pick up a One at the end of the year to get the 0.9% financing so I also picked between models on the lot. I'm one of the few on this site without the sport option so I have chromeline trim. This lead me to want polished wheels and exhaust tips, whereas most BSM owners go with dark wheels. Like most on this site, I'm lowered on KW coilovers and have intake and exhaust mods.

My next mod (which you might also consider) will most likely be the Gravity Autosport (GAS)/ICarbon front lip. Gravity is great to deal with and can get you most anything btw.

Then in 6-12 months I'll probably have a Helix FMIC installed, maybe a Coolingmist system also. Last will be a flash/tune, probably by GIAC.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
1BimmerRod09
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies. the 1er came after the lease on my 650i was up so at the end of the year we picked up an x5 with their end of the year special and waited on the 1er.
well i wanna stay within warranty and just unleash even more excitement out of the 135i so ideas includefirst most probable)
-Dinan stg II ecu remap, dinan or bmw performance exhuast, afe or riss air scoops, bmw performance rotors, bmw performance suspension, afe dci stg II intake, and maybe some cosmetics. i am getting a deal with a dinan dealer which helps a lil with price since im between two in az. so ideas advice and pics welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I like that color : )

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Here's my take on the Dinan thing:

Modding the car with Dinan parts is expensive, and it limits you. You're spending a lot of money because of the warranty coverage, but then if you decided you want to go another step (with catless downpipes for example) you're putting that warranty in jepardy.

If you just want to do a reflash and exhaust and call it quits, I don't think it's a bad way to go, as long as you realize you're paying a LOT more money for less power than we're seeing with other aftermarket reflashes. If there's even an outside chance that you want to go beyond what they're giving you with Stage II, I'd just go with something else from the very beginning, like JB3 or Proceed.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
ILMOSTRO
ilmostro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I could see going with JB3 or Proceed after your warranty is up in 4 years. Until then, why would you compromise a warranty on a new car? It's interesting to me how people complain about Dinan prices. What will you do when, not if, an issue comes up with your cheaper tune and you're left holding the bag. I feel great each time I roll on throttle and don't have to worry about my engine warranty.

Just my thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

WTC. First sound...you can't hear it stock...I went with BMW Perf and probably about to put midpipes on. Next, power. JB+ with a BT Scanner, you can't go wrong. If you feeling more like a F1 engineer wanna be, then JB+3... Oh yea, once the run flats burn out, some decent tires that aren't like 4 anchors...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3CK View Post
What will you do when, not if, an issue comes up with your cheaper tune and you're left holding the bag.

Fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
1BimmerRod09
United_States
Rep

well i am getting a deal on the dinan and would rather pay a lil more on a reflash that remaps all the codes instead and is well warrantied instead of a piggyback tune. better safe than sorry. i still plenty of enoough power with a stg II and am not planning on changing to catless DP.
o and yes the color is great. so im thinking ecu tune, exhaust, and air scoop with maybe a dci, and maybe performance suspension after and maybe perf. rotors. one of my fav 1ers is radiantm3's bsm as an idea of great looking great performing and parts that would not jepordize warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
ILMOSTRO
ilmostro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I understand what you mean JeremyC74. My point is that if people are whining over the extra $ for Dinan parts to cover the bill when something goes wrong, how can they hope to pay the invoice at the dealer when an issue comes up. They case is not being made that Dinan makes a inferior product. It's the money. The money is the issue at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3CK View Post
I understand what you mean JeremyC74. My point is that if people are whining over the extra $ for Dinan parts to cover the bill when something goes wrong, how can they hope to pay the invoice at the dealer when an issue comes up. They case is not being made that Dinan makes a inferior product. It's the money. The money is the issue at the dealer.

I wouldn't be paying the dealer. My issue with the Dinan stuff is that it costs double and triple what the other aftermarket stuff does, and offers less performance. We're not whining over the money, they just don't deliver the performance that's available from other venders, and all the warranty protection in the world doesn't make you feel better when you lose a race. Personally I'll take the extra HP, and put the money saved in the bank for parts in case I break something.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dinan is a decent option for some people, but I also think it's WAY too much money for a reflash. You can get a custom dyno tune for a lot of vehicles for about 1/4 of that price.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
dperez
Rep
Drives: 135i white

You can get a JB3, BT Scanner, Intake and Exhaust for the same price it would cost DINAN STAGE II with less HP.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #17
1BimmerRod09
United_States
Rep

well i wouldnt be racing it and id only use map 2 or 3 on jb3 and preffer the warranty instead of maybe paying alot more for repairs bcuz of a voided warranty. my local dinan dealer was trying to give me a good deal and its not ridiculously expensive and is still alot of added power. im still fine with the dinan tune which remaps all the codes as long as i get what is being said and get my deal instead of a complete jb3 kit which would void my warranty and not remap codes. thanks for the input and ideas tho.
ideas other than tune also include ram air scoops from either afe or RR, exhaust, intake, and suspension and rotors. any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Here's my take on the Dinan thing:

Modding the car with Dinan parts is expensive, and it limits you. You're spending a lot of money because of the warranty coverage, but then if you decided you want to go another step (with catless downpipes for example) you're putting that warranty in jepardy.

If you just want to do a reflash and exhaust and call it quits, I don't think it's a bad way to go, as long as you realize you're paying a LOT more money for less power than we're seeing with other aftermarket reflashes. If there's even an outside chance that you want to go beyond what they're giving you with Stage II, I'd just go with something else from the very beginning, like JB3 or Proceed.

Just my .02
the only problem with your theory on the warranty with BMW having Dinan parts is that the relationship between the two companies doesn't exist anymore, therefore BMW will not warranty Dinan parts and can still void your warranty. Dinan is way overpriced with minimal gains. JB3 is the best software for the car, and there are much better exhaust options, just stay away from Riss Racing because their fitment is terrible
      08-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Downpipes are also something to consider, I am running the Riss Racing Catless DPs and they are phenomenal.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
the only problem with your theory on the warranty with BMW having Dinan parts is that the relationship between the two companies doesn't exist anymore, therefore BMW will not warranty Dinan parts and can still void your warranty. Dinan is way overpriced with minimal gains. JB3 is the best software for the car, and there are much better exhaust options, just stay away from Riss Racing because their fitment is terrible
BMW has never directly backed Dinan parts. The Dinan warranty is a supplement to the BMW warranty that states they will cover the cost of any damage caused by their performance upgrades.

I am surprised to hear you didn't like the Riss exhaust, I have it on my 135 and love the sound. Install was not difficult either, it bolted right up to both the factory and Riss Racing downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post

Did you even fucking read what I wrote before you typed your response? What "theory" do I have?

I don't advocate Dinan at all, and if you'd read my posts in this thread that would be completely obvious.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #22
1BimmerRod09
United_States
Rep

thanks for the opinions. im still going with dinan though. but id like ideas recomendations and reviews on intakes, scoops, and exhaust as well. ideas?
Appreciate 0