BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

09 Jerez Black M3 for Forum member MexicanMike

This was a co-op between myself, and forum sponsor HD Auto Salon. We finished this car a couple of weeks ago, but I'm finally getting around to just posting some pictures!

I'm sure they will be chiming in with their pictures of the clear bra process--almost the ENTIRE car was wrapped in clear bra!

Anyways, here's the detail portion I carried out over two days:

Befores:

Some decent marring:

Started with the wheels. Autoglym custom wheel cleaner, tires and arches got optimum power clean.

After:

I then pulled the car in the shop and performed an optimum no rinse wash, and clay while washing.

Here's the paint condition under halogens

Under the brinkman:

Combination for this car with M105+PFW, Extra Fine Compound + 3M UK Yellow pad, M205 + 3M UK Blue pad.

50/50:

Brought outside to check results in the sun:

Fully corrected:

Front bumper before:

After:

I figured out a creative way to tape over the weather stripping where the top turns in to three separate pieces before folding in to the trunk area. I lifted the top, put the tape down, and sealed the top back again, so only the part of the weather stripping that was exposed had been fully taped, to ensure I could access as much paint as possible

Door finished, rear quarter not:

Rear quater before:

After:

Under camera flash:

Rear bumper had been repainted...

Some severe marring still existed.. but got about 85% correction here:

That's it for the polishing steps.

The interior was obviously in great shape. So I went over all leather and plastic surfaces with Leatherique Pristine Clean. Carpets protected with 303. Glass was polished with werkstat prime and sealed with acrylic. Carbon fiber was polished with prime as well, same with the door jambs.

The only parts of the car NOT covered in clear bra was the roof, and the back half of the rear bumper. Everything else was clear bra'd. Made waxing a breeze!

I sealed what little paint was exposed with a couple coats of blackfire wet diamond.

Paint without clear bra:

Last edited by d00t; 04-23-2010 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
d00t
Private First Class
Rep

Correction--Jerez Black*
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

WOW, that looks awesome!! Great job
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

nice work.
This reminds me of when I did my first detail. The car looked terrible but after the detail it looked better than the first day I bought the car. Money well spent.
Just had that much more respect for my car after It looks clean.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

great job again!

how long did this one take?
      04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Aaron,

Thank you again for the amazing detail!!! The car looked so much better after the detail. I wanted to write a review up for the detail process, but failed to take pictures before and after. I took the car for a spirited drive this weekend for the first time since the detail and pics now wouldn't do it justice.

For anyone in the bay area, Aaron is the guy to go to for a detail. He took his time and did a great job of paint correction. He will even travel to your house if you prefer to have it done that way.

Thanks again aaron, I will be in touch.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
d00t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsy View Post
WOW, that looks awesome!! Great job
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
nice work.
This reminds me of when I did my first detail. The car looked terrible but after the detail it looked better than the first day I bought the car. Money well spent.
Just had that much more respect for my car after It looks clean.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
great job again!

how long did this one take?
Thank you! This took around 17 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Aaron,

Thank you again for the amazing detail!!! The car looked so much better after the detail. I wanted to write a review up for the detail process, but failed to take pictures before and after. I took the car for a spirited drive this weekend for the first time since the detail and pics now wouldn't do it justice.

For anyone in the bay area, Aaron is the guy to go to for a detail. He took his time and did a great job of paint correction. He will even travel to your house if you prefer to have it done that way.

Thanks again aaron, I will be in touch.
Thanks a lot, Mike! Lets be honest, it's much more fun taking this beautiful machine on a spirited drive with the weather we had last weekend, then staring at in in the garage anyhow! Glad you're enjoying her
Appreciate 0