BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Ventureshield and bug guts

I need some feedback from those experienced with Ventureshield. I have it on my AW M3 and it has been doing fine. I also had it done on my wife's dark grey Lexus and recently we just moved to AZ from WA. On the drive down the Lexus got tons of bugs on the front and obviously there was desert heat on the drive once we got to SoCal and AZ. Had the car washed the next day and have washed it again. The MAJOR problem is that even though the bugs got off, there are marks (guts?) on the clearbra where all the bugs were. I have tried using quick detailer to get them off but it made no difference. Is there any product that is recommended to get these damn marks off? If I am unable to get these marks off, I am thinking next time around I will not even bother with a clearbra. Have had them on all my cars since 2004 and have had good results, but perhaps all the bugs in the desert in combination with the sun = not a good idea to have a clearbra in the desert? Opinions please!
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Try a bug and tar remover. I think Turtle Wax makes the one I use and its' readily available in Walmart or any automotive store.
      05-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Try using a clay bar.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90

I like BOTH ideas.
I use this stuff. Works great. Lasts forever cause its diluted (still on 1st bottle after a year). Use it prior to every wash..esp for front bumper.
Attached Images

05-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

clay bar.
had same problem with tire marks all over the car. just some patience with clay bar should take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had my VS installed by Premier Protective Films International. They also sold me a cleaner specifically for removing tar and other tough stains from VS. I think they said it was made by the film manufacturer. It is an orange colored fluid. This stuff is strong. Not safe for prolonged contact with paint. It has weakened parts of the plastic in the storage spray bottle to the point that the spray head breaks off (the original and a second heavy duty spray bottle I bought). Those cautions aside the stuff works really well on tar. Have not tried it on bugs but I bet it will work. Clean the area well, apply vigorously with a soft MF towel, rinse it off to remove any cleaner.

Regular Dawn dish soap will probably work as well.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Pictures of the "marks" would be good to determine whether they're actual bug guts or stains on the bra. If what you're talking about are stains, then no liquid can get them off. A heat gun would be your only option.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Pictures of the "marks" would be good to determine whether they're actual bug guts or stains on the bra. If what you're talking about are stains, then no liquid can get them off. A heat gun would be your only option.
Be careful with a heat gun on VS. It modified the reflective properties of the film permanently. I have a bit of it done on my car for some scratches and now when wearing polarized sunglasses (often in SoCal...) I see a big ugly blotchy patch in the VS. Not sure it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Be careful with a heat gun on VS. It modified the reflective properties of the film permanently. I have a bit of it done on my car for some scratches and now when wearing polarized sunglasses (often in SoCal...) I see a big ugly blotchy patch in the VS. Not sure it was worth it.
It did not modify the reflective properties "permanently." That patch will slowly dull again after time. And besides, you're supposed to take a heat gun to the entire piece of VS that you're fixing to give a uniform gloss and not just one glossy patch. It takes time to do correctly, but the VS will look brand new once completed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I had the same problem with bugs and melted in tire marks from the track.
I tried clay bar, bug&tar remover and enough elbow grease to actually scratch the material. I was also ready to scrap the bra until I accidently found the solution.
When I applied my zaino AIO it took off all marks with ease! Now after every track day, I touch up all of the rubber marks and bug guts with my zaino. My alpine white looks brand new again. I've been meaning to call Sal andet him know the pleasant side affect of his product.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It did not modify the reflective properties "permanently." That patch will slowly dull again after time. And besides, you're supposed to take a heat gun to the entire piece of VS that you're fixing to give a uniform gloss and not just one glossy patch. It takes time to do correctly, but the VS will look brand new once completed.
Hmmm, I don't think I agree. Mine was on my hood to address one small scratch only. The "color" change is very dramatic and very non uniform. I don't think (even if wearing polarized sun glasses while doing the work) you could heat the film uniformly enough to not get this effect. Mine has been like this for about 1 full year. I have not seen a bit of change in it. By the way the "touch up" was done by Premier and they are definitely one of the best with Ventureshield.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Hmmm, I don't think I agree. Mine was on my hood to address one small scratch only. The "color" change is very dramatic and very non uniform. I don't think (even if wearing polarized sun glasses while doing the work) you could heat the film uniformly enough to not get this effect. Mine has been like this for about 1 full year. I have not seen a bit of change in it. By the way the "touch up" was done by Premier and they are definitely one of the best with Ventureshield.
Can you take a picture of it? If they tried repairing it with a heat gun, then most likely it's what I'm thinking of. If you'd like, let me know the next time you're in LA and I'll see what I can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

try a plastic cleaner
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I also had the discolored spots with polarized sunglasses with the Ventureshield on my SSII. It never got any better. It was invisible if didn't wear polarized sunglasses.

I also saw a GTR with the same issue at a car meet.

My installer didn't think he could fix it. His sense was this shows up in lighter colored cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you take a picture of it? If they tried repairing it with a heat gun, then most likely it's what I'm thinking of. If you'd like, let me know the next time you're in LA and I'll see what I can do.
Hmmm, no idea if it will show up with a digital. Might show up through sunglasses lens with digital. I'll see. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I also had the discolored spots with polarized sunglasses with the Ventureshield on my SSII. It never got any better. It was invisible if didn't wear polarized sunglasses.

I also saw a GTR with the same issue at a car meet.

My installer didn't think he could fix it. His sense was this shows up in lighter colored cars.
Mine is just one big patch where some heavy heat gun application was used long after the initial install to remove a scratch. Same for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Mine is just one big patch where some heavy heat gun application was used long after the initial install to remove a scratch. Same for you?
My hood after treating a dull area with a heat gun:

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry forgot to check on this thread. Mine was blotchy in several areas on the hood. Can't see it at all without polarized sunglasses. WIth polarized glasses you can't see it at a distance only when up close and when in direct sunshine.

It was annoying.

On my new M3, I've decided not to get it this time and just do a respray every few years if necessary. I had this done on my black X5 at a local shop and the cost was actually less.
Appreciate 0