BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Need help on CC brake pads!

Ok ive had my cool carbon pads on the car for about a month n a half now, performing just fine. Now today out of nowhere I get mild vibration in the brake pedal during any kind of braking, feels almost like a mild ABS action...

I need to know wtf is going on, I tried calling EAS who sold me the pads today but no answer, im guessing theyre closed for the goddamn 4th..even though its the 5th today..

I took a couple pics of the rear pads, they almost look to me like theres a chunk missing from the pad, however this may be the actual shape of the pad, for some reason I forget how exactly they looked before installation, and also, all four pads seem to be lined up correctly, theres no pads that are out of place or slipped...

Heres the pics, someone tell me wtf could be wrong, could it be my fluid, the damn car's only 2800 miles old?

First two are of my right rear, last is left rear:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
The pads do curve up at the ends, so I think that part looks normal. Maybe its just the photo, but it looks like it is cracked on right rear?

My guess is its probably pad material deposited onto the rotor. Have you bedded the pad properly at install? Since its been a long time on the car also, I would suggest you do another bedding cycle. If that fails you could always clean the rotor off, then perform the bedding procedure. Other than that I don't know what to suggest. I've had mine on for a few thousand miles, and haven't had any vibrations or strange feelings.

Tim
      07-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
The pads do curve up at the ends, so I think that part looks normal. Maybe its just the photo, but it looks like it is cracked on right rear?

My guess is its probably pad material deposited onto the rotor. Have you bedded the pad properly at install? Since its been a long time on the car also, I would suggest you do another bedding cycle. If that fails you could always clean the rotor off, then perform the bedding procedure. Other than that I don't know what to suggest. I've had mine on for a few thousand miles, and haven't had any vibrations or strange feelings.

Tim
Drove it some more today and it did brake smoother, I think there was some dried soapy shit from when I washed it thhe other day, it was hardly vibrating at all when i came home
I think it also was atleast partially the fact that it was like 95+ all day today, hot as fuck, the stock rubber line probably flexing and expanding like crazy
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Glad it is fixed but big tsk tsk "for the goddamn 4th" !
      07-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

"im guessing theyre closed for the goddamn 4th" ... yeesh. Kids these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
"im guessing theyre closed for the goddamn 4th" ... yeesh. Kids these days.
Uh what?

#1 Im 26 and no kid..

#2 It IS stupid for places to be closed for a holiday that occured the day before..the 4th was sunday, why not be back at work on monday the 5th??? So theres nothing wrong with that statement, sorry if it opposes your "holiday" time off

And im sorry if I just feel a little less enthuzed about a holiday where nowadays it mostly means stupid "holiday" sales, bullshit tv ads and propaganda all just trying to sell shit based on the fact that its a holiday...and time off from work. Sorry, I dont feel any of that is warranted, sure the day itself is a marker in our history, but all the shit this country has tried to gain off of holidays is just lame..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Uh what?

#1 Im 26 and no kid..

#2 It IS stupid for places to be closed for a holiday that occured the day before..the 4th was sunday, why not be back at work on monday the 5th??? So theres nothing wrong with that statement, sorry if it opposes your "holiday" time off

And im sorry if I just feel a little less enthuzed about a holiday where nowadays it mostly means stupid "holiday" sales, bullshit tv ads and propaganda all just trying to sell shit based on the fact that its a holiday...and time off from work. Sorry, I dont feel any of that is warranted, sure the day itself is a marker in our history, but all the shit this country has tried to gain off of holidays is just lame..
Sorry about being closed yesterday, we were just recognizing the major Holiday, gotta have the USA spirit .

As for the pads, I'm glad everything got figured out, guess that was some strong soap huh? lol

If you have any further questions, feel free to just PM me if you like
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well im still not sure bout what exactly the problem was. They drove fine all today btw as well. I think it was probably the crazy heat and the lines were expanding like nuts, cuz after rechecking the pads, they do look as they should, I forgot about the wing at the ends of them so..who knows.

No worries about being closed, I was just a lil on edge about it thinking my pad was going to explode in the middle of driving or something

BTW, did you guys get my message I left yesterday? Left a phone message with tech support and the general line sounding sufficiently upset, just wondering cuz noone called me back, unless you saw I fixed it myself before deciding to call??
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well im still not sure bout what exactly the problem was. They drove fine all today btw as well. I think it was probably the crazy heat and the lines were expanding like nuts, cuz after rechecking the pads, they do look as they should, I forgot about the wing at the ends of them so..who knows.

No worries about being closed, I was just a lil on edge about it thinking my pad was going to explode in the middle of driving or something

BTW, did you guys get my message I left yesterday? Left a phone message with tech support and the general line sounding sufficiently upset, just wondering cuz noone called me back, unless you saw I fixed it myself before deciding to call??
Well it could be a number of things from air bubbles in the line, to debris between the pad and rotor. Maybe a pad deposit on the rotor, there's so many things that it could possibly be that it's hard to tell just off the bat, we could only really give suggestions to check to make sure that you're absolutely satisfied with the product down the road you know?

But I'm glad things got worked out. I actually saw your message earlier this morning but I knew it was you from this thread. I contacted the guys at Cool Carbon to see what it could be, that's why it took me so long to post on this thread, and then I saw that the problem was actually fixed, so I guess everything worked out
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ya no biggie I guess, did CC respond back to you with anything? I mean like if this shit happens again, maybe something I should look for or have checked?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya no biggie I guess, did CC respond back to you with anything? I mean like if this shit happens again, maybe something I should look for or have checked?
Yeah, I mentioned a few actually. Could be pad deposits, random debris between rotor and pad itself, could be a loose bolt somewhere (I would actually check to see if the wheels are torqued at the right amount). Could be an air bubble in the line where the ABS module is etc...

Could be a number of things, it's hard to tell over the forum. Just give me a ring if anything concerning happens.
Appreciate 0