BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

08-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
xxs65xx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 M3...SOLD

Question washing car myself need some help

So im getting sick of taking the car through the touchfree car washes, never gets cleaned good enough or when its getting dried just spots everywhere...im going to wash it myself between details but what i need to know is what do i do about the water part...do you guys use hot water? do i need some special attachment because its just a garden hose and the water is rough (mineral)?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Regular water is fine, just be sure to use the right type of detergent (soap) and wash mitt.

general rule of thumb is start with the wheels (use a different wash bucket and brush for these), then start with the roof, then hood, then trunk (top surface only), then the upper half of each side, then the lower half of each side, then the rear, then the front. The idea is you clean the dirtier parts last, limiting contamination on your wash mitt. Also, use two buckets: one for the clean soapy water, the other with just water in which you will rinse the mitt after each section that you wash.

Visit Autogeek.net and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about auto detailing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

If you need car care products order some from Adams. They have really great stuff and a lot of great techniques
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
masnmic
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Regular water is fine, just be sure to use the right type of detergent (soap) and wash mitt.

general rule of thumb is start with the wheels (use a different wash bucket and brush for these), then start with the roof, then hood, then trunk (top surface only), then the upper half of each side, then the lower half of each side, then the rear, then the front. The idea is you clean the dirtier parts last, limiting contamination on your wash mitt. Also, use two buckets: one for the clean soapy water, the other with just water in which you will rinse the mitt after each section that you wash.

Visit Autogeek.net and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about auto detailing.
You do mean just car wash soap, right! Because detergent based soap will strip the wax from your paint and dry to fast while trying to rinse.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
xxs65xx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 M3...SOLD

Quote:
Regular water is fine, just be sure to use the right type of detergent (soap) and wash mitt
so the regular water is fine? is hot water ok to use?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 DINAN STAGE 2

what kind of soap??
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs65xx View Post
so the regular water is fine? is hot water ok to use?
Regular water is fine, but be sure to pre-rinse the car thoroughly with water to rid the car of excess dirt. I usually use warm water in my soap bucket and cold water in my rinse bucket.

To eliminate water spots, you need to dry the car with microfibers shortly after washing it; air drying the car (even if you drive it while driving on the freeway) will not prevent water spots.

Keep it clean! , but

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Nice Guy Beck! View Post
what kind of soap??
I've had good results with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masnmic View Post
You do mean just car wash soap, right! Because detergent based soap will strip the wax from your paint and dry to fast while trying to rinse.
Yes detergent, as in car wash detergent, not laundry or dish washing detergent.

OP, You can go with more expensive stuff, but I've found Meguiar's Nxt Gen to be pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
masnmic
Rep

Quote:
Yes detergent, as in car wash detergent, not laundry or dish washing detergent.

OP, You can go with more expensive stuff, but I've found Meguiar's Nxt Gen to be pretty good.
So you mean just car wash Specific Soap. Because there should be no Detergent in car wash Specific Soap. Not trying to be a dick, but just want to make this clear.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masnmic View Post
So you mean just car wash Specific Soap. Because there should be no Detergent in car wash Specific Soap. Not trying to be a dick, but just want to make this clear.
Car wash soap/shampoo if that makes it clearer. No worries, you're not being a dick.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
masnmic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Regular water is fine, but be sure to pre-rinse the car thoroughly with water to rid the car of excess dirt. I usually use warm water in my soap bucket and cold water in my rinse bucket.

To eliminate water spots, you need to dry the car with microfibers shortly after washing it; air drying the car (even if you drive it while driving on the freeway) will not prevent water spots.

Keep it clean! , but
Perfect program to Follow.
I would just like to add, After the Pre rinse, Hold the hose and Soap and Rinse at the same time, From the top down. This will keep the soap from drying to fast on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
masnmic
Rep

Quote:
Car wash soap/shampoo if that makes it clearer. No worries, you're not being a dick.
ThX Brother, Your alot more friendly than Most on this forum.
Appreciate 0