BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Perto Canada and Sunoco

Just giving the Canadians a heads up that you're going to be seeing the Sunoco's start disappearing. This is as a result of the Petro Canada and Suncor merger that happened a while back.

I did some research on this as i use 94 octane in my car regularly.

The stations that are being converted over (which this has been happening all over the place) will still be selling Ultra 94, unless it's one of the few locations that have been sold to Husky brand.

that being said, several of the already existing Petro Canadas will be receiving the ability to sell Ultra 94, so the gas is going to be becoming easier to find as a result hopefully.

if you want to read about it a bit here's a link: petro canada and sunoco stuff....

Hope this puts some minds at ease. I was a little worried when i went to my favorite station today and found it fenced off. but am feeling much better now
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Yes the one Sunoco station near me suddenly became a Petro Canada and had a big sign indicating they had "Ultra 94". I also noticed the regular Petro Canada station's pumps also began offering "Ultra 94" so I guess its just going to become part of Petro's offerings at many of their stations, not just the ones acquired in the merger...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

In Vancouver, Petro Canada stopped selling 94 about a year ago. When I asked the manager why, he told me "91 is the same thing, so you are saving money". I haven't been back since, I've switched to Chevron who sell 94 octane with zero percent ethanol.

Last edited by Lester; 08-22-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
vwrefugee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
I've switched to Chevron who sell 94 octane woth zero percent ethanol.
I sure wish we could get this in Ontario. 94 octane in the Sunoco/PC fuel is nice, but getting it through ethanol sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
cj350s
Major Dad
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

We recently had a local Sunoco station convert to Petro Canada but the signage for Ultra 94 remained. Now I understand why. I tried Sunoco Ultra 94 twice but my car just didn’t seem to like the ethanol blend.

I always use Ultramar Premium (91) since it’s one of the few fuels in our area containing no ethanol. Shell Premium (91) is another. Both work equally well in my experience.

I spoke to a fuel delivery driver a few months ago and was advised oil companies are required to sell a certain percentage of ethanol blended fuel. In Ontario, any fuel distributed out of Toronto contains ethanol (all Regular and Mid-Grade, and some Premium), whereas fuel distributed from other Ontario depots does not.

I don’t know where all of the distribution centers are or what areas they cover but it appears the area directly east of Toronto is an ethanol blend area. I believe the Kingston, Ottawa, and Kitchener-Waterloo areas are not, but perhaps someone could advise whether that’s correct.

Brand X stations (e.g. Canadian Tire, Mac’s Milk, etc.) have their own unique blends (primarily different additives) which are different from name brand stations like Esso, Petro Canada, etc., so for example if you want real Esso fuel you have to buy it at an actual Esso station.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

you're getting into the Teir 1 vs Teir 2 gas stations. stick to the Teir ones. Shell, Sunoco/Petro, Esso as they have proper detergents in their fuels that help keep deposits from building up around intake and exhaust valves.

the little mom and pop type of shops aren't like this, but you'll see that their prices are aslo about .1- .3 of a cent cheaper. but they don't have the same requirements.

Yes most or all of the blends in southern ontario have this Ethanol in it, but it's different percentages for each brand. Sunoco I believe is Ethanol no matter what part of canada you are in and often higher percentages then other companies. This makes it a "greener" fuel as it' combusts a little cleaner. A good tip for those about to have an emissions test in the near future is to run higher ethanol fuels for a tank or two before the test.

a con to running higher ethanol fuels however, is they tend to return less kms per tank then low ethanol fuel. that's just a trade of for a cleaner burning gas. you get less energy from the ethanol then you do from a non ethanol fuel. Cars ECU's compensate for the different burning by injecting a little more fuel, thus resulting in slightly poorer mileage.

I find this tends to be a bit more noticable in a turbo car. this is why in my old WRX i tryed to avoid Sunoco untill i had my engine tuned for the highest octane when i did my turbo upgrade, then i no longer had a choice. But after the upgrade it didn't really matter anymore as i managed about 275kms on 45L of fuel driving semi-agressively in the citry.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
You are lucky out west, here in NB the highest I can find is 91, and just got a letter from Irving stating that for the past few months they have been selling regular gas our of the premium pumps by "accident". Have notices the performance difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

I drove by the Sunoco I always went to where I live and I found out it was under construction to be changed to a Petro Canada.

I was pretty sad, that Sunoco had the best touchless car wash. =(
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

from what i've seen, it's only been cosmetic changes to any i've past in the last few days, so i haven't seen any changes done to the car washes. However, i'll keep an eye on that with the local ones.

not that i do touchless, i have a black car and the residue the touchless car washes leave behind just gets on my nerves.....

usually just end up at the do it yourself and just spray it off and it comes off better then the touchlesses do. then when i visit my mom who has some proper hoses and a better water source then around here, i do a real job and the car comes out looking black as night so sexy....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
R0n1n
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i Alpine White

So...what happens to my sunoco points? I discarded my petro points card a few years back after I switched to sunoco.
      09-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0n1n View Post
So...what happens to my sunoco points? I discarded my petro points card a few years back after I switched to sunoco.
they have a plan for people to switch over, you'll likely end up with more points as a result of them thanking people for their patients.

you might even have an email by now about it if you have an account setup that way. I've seen a few pass through my inbox.

so in other words, don't worry, you'll get your points back.
Appreciate 0