BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

08-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Jon509
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330ci

Quick polish question...

Does Menzerna Super Intensive Polish equate to Meguiar's 105 polish?

And does Menzerna Final Polish II equate to Meguiar's 205 polish?

I already have the Menzerna products; just need to know if there is substantial differences between the above products...

These will be used on BMW 668 Jet Black paint...6 years old, heavy swirls & spiders...will be trying out the KB method...

Thanks for any info!

Jon in Chicago
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Yes and no.

Menzerna SIP is more of a medium(on the heavy side of medium) cut polish and 105 is a compound. Yet, in many cases you can get the same amount of cut for the time you put into it if you know how to work SIP for all it's worth.

I keep both SIP and 105 in my shop and use both. But the SIP is my go-to. I think it's the best polish there is, period. The ability to work it down to such a nice finish with so much cut is awesome. The 105 tends to gum more than SIP does too. I am not alone when I say that. KBM does its thing but I have my own methods and find SIP to be a better overall polish. Because every clear is different sometimes 105 is the best answer for getting results.

In short, they both have their place on a detailer's shelf.

I can not speak about the 205 comparo. I use 205 and again, it has its place but I prefer 3m Finesse-It. You didn't ask about any 3m products so I won't discuss it unless you want to hear it.

If you have any specific questions about 105 and SIP feel free to ask and I will do my best to help out.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Jon509
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330ci

Thanks for the reply, Jean-Claude.

I have been a very happy Menzerna user for about 5 years now.

My workflow is SIP (when necessary), then Final Polish II, then Finishing Touch Glaze, then FMJ, then Souveran as a final topcoat.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something with the Meguiar's; I'll keep using my Menzerna!

Jon
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

You should by all means keep a bottle of 105 on hand. It does work better on some clears. SIP is still better in most cases, but for those odds and ends cars you should have it.
Appreciate 0