BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

08-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

What is a "Full Detail" article

As part of the DI team, I thought I would share a recent article written by Todd Cooperider

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...a-full-detail/

Discuss and give your thoughts if you would like. There are many facets of what a full detail consists of to me. A quick 2-3 hour job is more of a general cleaning rather than a full detailing. My thoughts on a full detail include at least one polishing step (if not 2-3) with claying and at least a light interior. a wash and wax "detail" is just a protection detail, not a full detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
IMO, what those $125 placed call a detail is what I do to my car on its weekly wash....

To me a full detail job is usually a 3 day wheels off type of job where leather is treated multiple times, paint correction is done, wheel wells and suspension components are detailed....heck if I am having a good day, I will even polish the mufflers

I guess, it all depends what your expectations are and how crazy you are..... In WA State I am yet to find a shop that can detail.....or wash my car to my standards.... I wish some of the people who post on this forum (Phil, Fminus & etc) were local to me
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
I like to avoid the term "Full Detail" whenever possible. I think its a term that has been heavily abused as noted in the article posted by the OP.

To me, an "Exterior Detail", or "Detail" is a full wash including wheels (engine bay being optional), a claying step to remove small particles and waxing/sealing the car. More often than not, this is the sort of service that gets advertised by volume detailers as a full detail and its amazing how many will skip the claying process.

An "Interior Detail" involves cleaning and conditioning the interior of the vehicle.

When people talk about a "Full Detail" I tend to assume that includes two additional steps over an "Exterior Detail". The first step is paint correction (this can include multiple polish steps), and the second is a thorough cleaning of the engine bay.

What I see most people talking about on the forums is what I would call a "Detail + Paint Correction". The price on this if being done by a true professional will vary, as the number of steps and time involved has to be determined on a per car basis.

Last edited by sawzall; 08-30-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

most of the time ppl call a "full detail" anything from a fucking $10 wash to a $600 perfect everything. But most of the time its just wash and wax, which pisses me off when I spend 3-4 days with a DA and Menzerna.
Appreciate 0