BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
tigergolf
Rep
Drives:

2008 135i Coupe in Vancouver for Sale

2008 BMW 135i coupe for sale. 355hp and 350 lb-ft tq with Split Second Turbo Tuner (SSTT) module and BMS dual cone intake system. Both parts installed less than 1 month ago.

NO ACCIDENTS or CLAIMS. Sparkling graphite grey exterior with black leatherette interior. Steptronic (automatic) with only 24,xxx km. Full bumper to bumper warranty and free maintenance until November 2012. Two years of FREE MAINTENANCE LEFT!

Has the premium package which includes sunroof, power windows, power locks, heated seats, climate control, and ipod usb adapter. Includes winter front and rear rubber floor mats (OEM mats included). Currently riding on winter tires (on OEM wheels) but will also include OEM run flat tires that had only 10,000km. Not willing to part out car. Serious inquiries only and no test pilots please. Car is currently in storage but will take out 1 day insurance for serious buyers. Pictures are not of actual car but very similar.

$34,000 CDN firm.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...185036739.html

Last edited by tigergolf; 02-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Price Lowered
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
tigergolf
Rep
Drives:

Nobody in Vancouver looking for a clean 135?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergolf View Post
Nobody in Vancouver looking for a clean 135?
not when you can find the same thing basically for 27k in the states.

Resale sucks in canada right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroxide View Post

Now add taxes, duties, and the time you'll spend bringing one over, and suddenly the OPs price is a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
Now add taxes, duties, and the time you'll spend bringing one over, and suddenly the OPs price is a great deal.
Not really. Tax is the same if you purchase a used car in canada or the US. duty is 6% and your time which all of this could be done in a day if you plan ahead.

I just did it, it's totally worth it.

Last edited by Nitroxide; 11-25-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

What was the final price. What is the equipment? What is the milage?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
tigergolf
Rep
Drives:

See above description and link for details.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
tajia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw

USA costs.........

Just did it. It is a little work and time. Worth it? Yes and NO. You do pay 12% tax (gst and pst in BC). You pay 5% at border and 6.1% duty because it was made in Germany, the other 7% will come when you register it. Then you have the $100 air cond. fee. You have your exchange rate. Even though it is par you still pay a little more when you deal with the bank. Then the border charges you the rate the day you come through. You do need to give USA the title 72 hours prior to bringing the car across. Once here you need to go to BMW to get all recalls done, daytime running lights turned on ($290) and we had to change the instrument cluster. Even though it read in KM and MILES as did the odometer. They said it did not comply with canadian regulations and canadian software they installed. ($1300). They would not give us back the US cluster. Said there is a CORE charge, this was not listed on the invoice. Never heard of core charges on NEW parts. Now the recall letter needed for RIV you get from BMW once they has done their thing. That is $500+12%. Once this is all done they send the recall letter to RIV now you wait. Once RIV gets it and finally sends you the forms, you then take it to Canadian tire for federal inspection ($85). Now you have to get a Provincial done. Now ICBC has to site vin and glass before you can register it. All of this was an added $8000 on top of the US price we paid. Did we save? in the long run yes. Do your homework on the car you are buying! Hope this all helps who may want to do this route.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
tigergolf
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the info!

So an additional $8,000 brings that "cheaper" $27k car to a total $35,000 USD/CDN (assuming par). The buyer also has to be aware that a US imported car has a lower resale value than a local car. The market knows you purchased the vehicle at a lower price so they're not going to pay you the equivalent of a local car.

All in all, my price of $36k seems reasonable given that for an extra $1k you get peace of mind knowing that it was locally driven and resale value will be not be diminished.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajia View Post
Just did it. It is a little work and time. Worth it? Yes and NO. You do pay 12% tax (gst and pst in BC). You pay 5% at border and 6.1% duty because it was made in Germany, the other 7% will come when you register it. Then you have the $100 air cond. fee. You have your exchange rate. Even though it is par you still pay a little more when you deal with the bank. Then the border charges you the rate the day you come through. You do need to give USA the title 72 hours prior to bringing the car across. Once here you need to go to BMW to get all recalls done, daytime running lights turned on ($290) and we had to change the instrument cluster. Even though it read in KM and MILES as did the odometer. They said it did not comply with canadian regulations and canadian software they installed. ($1300). They would not give us back the US cluster. Said there is a CORE charge, this was not listed on the invoice. Never heard of core charges on NEW parts. Now the recall letter needed for RIV you get from BMW once they has done their thing. That is $500+12%. Once this is all done they send the recall letter to RIV now you wait. Once RIV gets it and finally sends you the forms, you then take it to Canadian tire for federal inspection ($85). Now you have to get a Provincial done. Now ICBC has to site vin and glass before you can register it. All of this was an added $8000 on top of the US price we paid. Did we save? in the long run yes. Do your homework on the car you are buying! Hope this all helps who may want to do this route.
Uhhhh you got ripped off because you didn't do your homework. You don't need to change the cluster, as long as it has both KM and Miles it's fine. You also don't need the BMW recall letter, you can go to a US dealer and ask for a list of recalls done on the vehicle and RIV accepts that. Daytime running lights can be enabled via idrive. Inspection was $85, tax was 12% (same if you're buying used in Canada) and duty was 6%.

A little more was <$500 on $25000 for me from RBC.

BMW will spout misinformation regarding the cluster change, recall letter and DTRL because they're trying to suck every dollar they can out of you. Scam artists.

It should also be mentioned that the free oil changes don't transfer over to canada so if you want to keep doing them for free you have to go back to the US.

Last edited by Nitroxide; 11-25-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
tajia
Registered
Rep

USA costs.........

We tried EVERY WAY to get away from the recall letter. BMW has that all taken car of US or Cdn. We tried to get one from the US dealer"s" and it is a NO go. They have blocked all doors to this option. They want their money that is not coming from the sale here! We even read you can try a carfax that states NO open recalls. Small print says contact your local BMW for updates. Sent in all work/recalls done on car. RIV will not take anything except the BMW letter from BMW CANADA. As far as the cluster, we argued about that huge. You dont do............you dont get the letter. Your screwed any which way you try. We did get a convertible so worth bit more. Where we are there is none available. we have time so we tried it this way. Would i do it again, you bet just so we dont buy from BMW Canada who has attitude.
Yes we realize no maintenance warranty here. Did do homework. BMW has got ya any way you bend over.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Here's a screenshot of page 1 of the letter that I gave to RIV that I got from the US dealership. I've edited out some information but nothing major. Originally at the top and bottom of the document it said "CANNOT BE USED FOR IMPORT EXPORT PURPOSES" but a simple pass in adobe acrobat 9 removed that text in 20 seconds and I forwarded it off to riv. Easy peasy. They accepted it in less than 24 hours. All for the price of $0!

View post on imgur.com

Edit: btw I tried that carfax thing before I went this route and riv wouldn't accept it. I saw that same information around online. Wayyy too much misinformation out there.

Last edited by Nitroxide; 11-25-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Aside from crap resale value of a US car, you will also get crap treatment form your dealership. Go ahead and call up for an appointment, once they realize you have a US car - they will tell you they are booked solid for 2+ months. If you are a BMW owner of a CDN car they can usually get you in very soon.
So if you care about warranty work, free oil changes, good and prompt service, and resale value, stick to a CDN vehicle.

Not to mention the stress, and risk you assume when you buy a car sight unseen remotely. I have heard lots of horror stories of other people getting burned from importing.

PS I have imported many vehicles in the past, and for the measly 1-3k that you might save you pay for it in other ways, over time.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroxide View Post

PS you're also an a$$ troll for crapping on this guys for sale thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
Aside from crap resale value of a US car, you will also get crap treatment form your dealership. Go ahead and call up for an appointment, once they realize you have a US car - they will tell you they are booked solid for 2+ months. If you are a BMW owner of a CDN car they can usually get you in very soon.
So if you care about warranty work, free oil changes, good and prompt service, and resale value, stick to a CDN vehicle.

Not to mention the stress, and risk you assume when you buy a car sight unseen remotely. I have heard lots of horror stories of other people getting burned from importing.

PS I have imported many vehicles in the past, and for the measly 1-3k that you might save you pay for it in other ways, over time.
I just had warranty work done to fix a door seal and my passenger seat and in addition to treating me amazingly they also gave me a 2011 335i loaner. I had to wait 1week for an appointment and that was because I needed a loaner vehicle.

Stop spouting misinformation. That's the biggest problem with almost all forums or import information websites is people will bitch and moan and complain about things they have no idea about. Obviously you have never imported a BMW or tried to take it for service or you would realize how stupid you sound.

Last edited by Nitroxide; 11-30-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
PS you're also an a$$ troll for crapping on this guys for sale thread.
ps. Blow me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

No misinformation here... Personally imported 6 vehicles (2 were BMW's) from the US in the last 2-3 years. Just helped family member with import of his 135i, along with helping many friends and co workers with their imports.
Importing is especially advantageous when the car is already manufactured in Canada/US as then you save the ~6.1% duty.

In Calgary we do get worse treatment when they find out you have a US car, I experienced this first hand. You're still a clown for ruining the OP's FS thread.

Aaaanyways... this is a nice 135i with a fair asking price for a CDN vehicle. Whoever buys it will enjoy it I am sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Then you should say "In Calgary good luck getting good service at a dealership if you bought your car from the US". Don't make a huge blanket statement about all dealers just because you have a bad experience. I haven't looked it up but I assume there is only 1 BMW dealership in Calgary so they don't have much incentive to provide good service.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
tajia
Registered
Rep

US/Canadian

Who really cares where your car comes from! If your happy with your car and price you paid that is all that matters. We had NO problems getting work done at BMW. From the time the car crossed border till its inspection at CT today, it was 2 weeks exact. Had to wait for a part at BMW so that took a few days before we could take it in. Bing Bang Boom, done! Waiting for spring.
Recall letter guy, good for you on getting one up on BMW. We couldnt even get a sniff of a letter to even try. Must keep that in mind if we ever do it again. But what about if you need any warranty work done? Will they not do it here in Canada because your not up to "Canadian compliance" as they call it?? Just wondering.
As far as saving $1000-$3000. Guess you didnt get a good deal. We saved about $10,000-$12,000 after ALL costs. Im happy. We even made a mini holiday out of going to look at the car. Dont recommend buying without looking. Buyer beware then.
Timing of currency is crucial and do your homework on ALL cost.
Here to help anyone thinking of buying US not here to slam anyone. Personal choice, freedom to choose! Merry Christmas and enjoy your BMW where ever it came from!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
tajia
Registered
Rep

warranty

PS: If buying used, check the date your warranty expires. My car we just bought was not sold till March 09 so we are good till March 2013. Bonus!
Also Pleather or leather, $1900 difference. I personally would of opted for cloth! Not a fan of leather [heated] (not sure how Pleather/plastic stands up).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #21
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajia View Post
Recall letter guy, good for you on getting one up on BMW. We couldnt even get a sniff of a letter to even try. Must keep that in mind if we ever do it again. But what about if you need any warranty work done? Will they not do it here in Canada because your not up to "Canadian compliance" as they call it?? Just wondering.
Yes. They cannot legally deny your warranty as people move from USA to Canada all the time. The only thing you don't get is free maintenance. (which is why i'm going to Seattle on Saturday :P)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #22
tigergolf
Rep
Drives:

Bump for a new price....$34k

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...185036739.html
Appreciate 0