BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

09-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Wheel barrel scraped up

After every track day, while the husband changes out my brake pads, I clean my wheels to make sure there isn't any brake dust build up, remove rubber chunks, etc. Kinda long story, but this weekend I had issues with tires losing pressure. Friday I took the wheels to our local shop & had the front tires swapped - put on some old rubber to try & finish them off Saturday. Saturday, same issue (low tire pressure) local shop was closed so I took them to Big O instead. Got home & was cleaning the wheels and noticed HUGE scrapes and razor blade cuts where someone - I don't know which shop - decided to murder the wheel barrels to get the old wheel weights off. The paint is completely gone, scraped to the metal (over 2" long, 1/4" wide) in some places, straight cuts in other places. I'm beyond , , . Is this something that's repairable?

Last edited by dnvrdrvr; 09-28-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Yep but do you need to worry about it?Both my track wheels are a mess from stones and rubber scraping between the caliper & the barrel and brake residue that is embedded on the face.Around here it is normally about $150 to refinish a wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Well, except I haven't yet sprung for a track setup and was planning to use these are my DD wheels once I did (as they are now). I know you can't really see it unless the wheel is off... but I know it's there & have made sure to clean them up after each track day. Which means I'll see it every time I go to clean them. Heck I even wax them every 2-3 months.

The other question I have is whether I need to worry about rust at all since the paint is completely gone?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Well, except I haven't yet sprung for a track setup and was planning to use these are my DD wheels once I did (as they are now). I know you can't really see it unless the wheel is off... but I know it's there & have made sure to clean them up after each track day. Which means I'll see it every time I go to clean them. Heck I even wax them every 2-3 months.

The other question I have is whether I need to worry about rust at all since the paint is completely gone?
Which why i do not use my street wheels on track except in the wet!Probally would not hurt to grap a spray bomb of the appropriate colour and spray the scraped area.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^ never mind color - spay with a spray can of clear-coat. That'll at least hold them over. Wheel refinishing is usually in the 125-150 per wheel range.

Sorry to hear of your issue and g/l with repairs
Appreciate 0