BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I put my exhaust back together wrong...but i like it

So I removed the rear section of my exhaust from the clamps back in order to change the tips. I changed the tips to the satin black bmw ones which look very slick btw. So I put the exhaust back together and now its much much louder. I believe that somehow I didnt put the clamped section back together as tight as possible and some sound is definitely coming from that area.

Sounds good actually but quite a bit louder. Visually I cant figure out where the problem is, but assuming there isnt a a safety or backpressure issue, im gonna leave it like that. So I guess there is a small opening between the pipes where you put the rear clamps, so small I cant see it, but big enough to make the exhaust louder.

There is a noticeable grunt now when the car downshifts on its own, start up is loud, idling is louder, etc. Its not as loud as having no muffler im guessing, since its only a tiny opening, but makes a significant sound improvement. Anybody not wanting an xpipe but wanting some sound could loosening those clamps, slide the rear pipes out a fraction and tighten the clamps again and get some better sound.

- Cliffs Notes -
1. Slide under car, loosen 2 13mm clamps, on each exhaust pipe.
2. Retighten clamps but leave pipes a fraction less snug together then before
3. Enjoy louder exhaust for free
4. And no I dont know if its leaking fumes up into the cabin or anything but i doubt it

Last edited by deletedelete; 10-16-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

You're going to be spraying black soot all over the bottom of your car. Fix it and don't ghetto rig your car, please!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hey you could always just drill a few holes in the piping. It would reduce weight too!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Noooooooooooo!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You probably didn't align the flanges correctly at the top, and the pipes didn't fall into the curved surface of the clamp. You need to correct that man; you don't want fumes under the car. Just put the rear on ramps and fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba

Yeah... Get electric cut outs then you don't have to always put up with it so loud. And yeah $60K+ Car with exhaust leak not so dope..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

WTF? Sorry bro, but I wouldn't have posted something like this. Half ass job on an M3 to make it sound better?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Most of you should read the post I wrote. I did not do this on purpose, I misaligned the pipes leaving a gap, but still if I like it, I keep it. Its my car, my money and ill do as I please.

With that said, does anybody know how exactly the rear section connects to the mid section? When I try to push them together they dont stay in, and im not sure how or where to put the clamp to eliminate the gap I have now.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I would be concerned about the back pressure affecting the performance of your car due to a loose fitting pipe. To heck if you decide to keep it that way. It is your own car after all.
      10-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
I would be concerned about the back pressure affecting the performance of your car due to a loose fitting pipe. To heck if you decide to keep it that way. It is your own car after all.
Im not keeping it like that, im getting the sosi xpipe when its available. The problem is, is that I haven't yet figured out how to correct it, but it sounds badass until I do take the time to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does anybody know how to get the rear section into the secondary cat section? Do I just push the pipes together then tighten the clamps?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
rockd
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Does anybody know how to get the rear section into the secondary cat section? Do I just push the pipes together then tighten the clamps?
Yep, just push together and tighten the clamp as you hold it together. Much easier with two ppl, but definitely do-able by yourself. The clamp is curved, so it'll push the two pieces together as snug as possible.

If you're concerned about exhaust leak from underneath your clamps, just stop by pep-boys and get some exhaust wrap... wrap it on the joint and clamp down over it
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockd View Post
Yep, just push together and tighten the clamp as you hold it together. Much easier with two ppl, but definitely do-able by yourself. The clamp is curved, so it'll push the two pieces together as snug as possible.

If you're concerned about exhaust leak from underneath your clamps, just stop by pep-boys and get some exhaust wrap... wrap it on the joint and clamp down over it
Oh so thats why the clamp is curved, yeah im starting to get it haha. Thanks man. And if it wasnt for me being worried about the fumes id leave it like it is because the sound is quite good. Hopefully the xpipe makes it sound similar.
Appreciate 0