BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

11-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

M3 Car Cover Question.......

Like for all of my cars, I purchased a factory BMW NOAH cover. They usually fit great but not so on my E93. The cable lock grommets stop about an inch short of the bottom of the car and it is extremely tight on the front and back. I assume that this is because it's the same cover for all coupes and convertibles but I'm not sure. Since the M3 has wider fenders I guess that it would fit tighter. Wondering if anyone else has hate the same experience.
Thanks!
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
Like for all of my cars, I purchased a factory BMW NOAH cover. They usually fit great but not so on my E93. The cable lock grommets stop about an inch short of the bottom of the car and it is extremely tight on the front and back. I assume that this is because it's the same cover for all coupes and convertibles but I'm not sure. Since the M3 has wider fenders I guess that it would fit tighter. Wondering if anyone else has hate the same experience.
Thanks!
Hmmm... sounds like you might be right; they're using a one-size fit's all approach that doesn't quite fit the way your vehicle. Have you considered an after-market car cover? I suppose the problem with one made by another company is you could run into the same issue
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

i got the oem cover for my e92 and am also disappointed that it doesn't fit as well as I expected. The oem cover for my 350z fits absolutely perfect, but I do not know what company manufacturers that cover.
      11-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
Thanks!
I would recommend NOT putting any car cover on your car. The material by itself lightly scratches the paint, and coupled with dust or dirt that every car has, you'll get swirls. It's just me, but I would never put one on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

It's a good point but I really only use it when the car is spotlessly clean and I need to keep it outside for a while. One of the huge advantages of Alpine White is that it's very difficult to spot swirls and blemishes in the paint. I haven't had a white car since my 1980 Corvette and had forgotten how easy it is to maintain.
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0