BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

Smile Snow Chains

I just took delivery of a 2009 BMW 128i. Build date 5/09. I am making inquiry to the use of snow chains. Amazon has them for the 225/45x17 tires (run flats). Is this a good back up plan for emergency use? I live in a Cincinnati, O.
I just joined this site and I look forward to the comraderie and ownership of my sixth BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Snow chains work, though I would not go for non-BMW versions. BMW chains are specifically designed to work withnthe winter wheel and tire combinations that BMW recommends. The big catch with chains is that you need to be able to drive on em to get them installed. The alternative is kind of neat, the Spike Spiders. http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

I first saw Spike Spiders on a BMW in the Austrian Alps. They use a little hub that mounts to the lug bolts for the winter season. The spider part clips on and gives you traction in ice and snow. Maximum speed is about 25mph, but that is plenty fast on a slippery road in a snow storm. I used them with great effectiveness on my MINI Cooper. I have not tried to see if they will fit the BMW, but I suspect they might. The nice things about them is ease of installation and removal. The two main negatives are top speed limitation and that they should not be used on pavement... (ie the roads need to be fairly well snow covered).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would first suggest a good set of snow tires & wheels in 17"s or 16"s *IF* you can go to 16" ? I would only think about using chains as a last ditch effort. And only then to get home. Bottom line... IF you need chains you probably should be out driving anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

Yep, if it snows too much, I'll take a "snow day" and stay at home, and work from home.
I have undergound parking at work. If I was to drive home from work on a snowy day, I wanted a way home, hence the chains. Emergency chains.
I like this idea. They love to salt the roads here during the winter months and a ton costs about $400 down from $1,000. This city does a good job clearing the snow, too.
I"ll be careful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

You live where? Cincinnati, OH???

Why in the world do you need chains on your tires if you live in Cincinnati, OH? I live in Cleveland, OH and I have never heard of anyone wanting or using chains. I've opted for just a good set of A/S tires, but I'd say you 100% secure going with just dedicated snow tires.

They might even be somewhat illegal. Don't quote me, but I remember seeing that somewhere before. Due to the fact that 99% of the time, roads won't be snowcovered and the chains will chew up the roads. Only in case of extreme weather.

Ridiculous, but if that will make you feel safe.

miiipilot
Appreciate 0