BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

Plea for advice - what to do with the M3?

I've been stressing over this for the last few months but really need some advice from you guys. This June, I have to move to a small town for the next 3 years for work. This is a non-negotiable move, and is crucial to my career.

However, it's a smaller college town where there are likely to be few motorsports enthusiasts, and even less M owners. There is a BMW dealership locally, but I'm fairly certain I will be the only AW M3 driving around, and that makes me rather uncomfortable. It also snows/ices over there a few times a year, and for some months out of the year I'll be commuting over 200 miles a week to fulfill my work obligations. In short, I don't feel comfortable driving my precious M daily in this environment, but I'm not ready to give her up - I plan on keeping my E92 for at least 6 more years, if not forever.

After much thought, I've come up with a few likely scenarios regarding my car situation:

1) Daily drive the M3, and buy winter wheels/tires to handle the occasional ice/snow.
Pros - I get to enjoy the M and keep it for as long as I want (maybe forever). This one is my baby and I have taken exquisite care of it - 10xxx miles of pure driving joy.
Cons - Rock chips/wear and tear from the dusty weather and frequent highway commutes, unwanted attention and lack of anonymity while driving around, lack of entertaining roads on which to enjoy the M, lack of race shops/garages to perform mods or general maintenance when my warranty runs out - leaving me at the mercy of the local BMW dealership, unwanted attention from my employers, who will likely be driving less expensive cars, expense/hassle of storing and mounting winter wheels/tires, possible expensive of clear bra before the big move

2) Buy an efficient, economical daily driver and keep the M3 in storage for rare use.
Pros - my M3 stays pristine and I get to own this particular example forever, free of rock chips and road wear, free of risk of damage from other drivers (mostly in big, dusty, rock-throwing trucks), free of unwanted attention from employers/coworkers as well as anonymity while driving around a small town
Cons - added expense of second car on top of M3 depreciation, would barely be using the M3 (on the order of 1-2000 miles a year), depreciation of M3 during these 3 years of minimal usage, possible damage to tires/seals/mechanicals on M3 from too little use, the most fiscally irresponsible choice

3) Sell the M3 before I move, buy a daily driver, and possibly re-buy an M3 (or other significant sports car) in 3 years when I can move back to a normal city
Pros - Save depreciation of M3, less guilt for owning the M but never driving it, less deterioration of the M3 from being driven too little, no concern of unwanted attention from M3 ownership, potential to buy a near-final production E9x M3 with ZCP and whatever goodies they think of in the next year
Cons - I would say goodbye to my baby, E9x M3 production slated to end in 2012 (right?) making the newest possible E9x M3 i could buy in 3 years' time [mid-to-late 2014] already a 2-year old car by then, and likely not in mint condition as mine is now, what if I miss the S65 every day for 3 years, potential for huge regret

As far as the daily driver goes, currently I'm thinking a Subaru WRX/STi for price/performance ratio, all wheel drive, good mileage, and relatively good resale values meaning total cost of ownership over 3 years might be relatively little (apparently STi's hold their value very well, from the preliminary research I've done). The 2011 WRX's have the STi widebody and plenty of power for a simple daily driver, however if my research proves true, it may actually cost me less in depreciation, at the cost of higher initial investment (easily covered by the sale of the E92) meaning less total cost of ownership over 3 years for the STi! Another option is a 3-year old subaru (after the biggest initial depreciation) impreza/wrx for it's reliability, all-wheel drive, drivability in bad weather, low profile, and ability to drive wherever, on whatever road surface, park next to whomever, a low-maintenance but reasonably fun beater.

If you've taken the time to read this, I thank you. It breaks my heart to think of selling my M3, but I am trying my best to make a logical decision. I would appreciate any of your thoughts, whether it's advice on what to do, or even advice on what daily driver would be economical and appropriate. When I picked up my M3 it was a dream come true, a personal reward for achieving a significant milestone career-wise in my life. I purchased it outright. As a passionate car enthusiast since before I could even drive, I jumped on the chance to own the jack-of-all trades M3 and currently drive it daily and as much as I possibly can. If I had my choice, I wouldn't move and would drive this M3 daily for the next 6 or so years before I got into a GT3 or comparable sports car. The sentiment I have right now is that I might never sell my E92, even after I got into a newer, faster car - just to own what might be the last example of a high-revving naturally aspirated M3 and preserve it for my future collection. Hell, I want my future kids to drive it one day. My point is, the E92 is quite a special car to me and that's why this decision is so difficult for me to make. I know the smartest choice is probably to let go of the M3 and see what's on the market in 3 years' time but I don't want to look back and regret that decision forever. What do you think I should do?

Thanks for reading,
phil
      02-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
UNNATRAL
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

keep the M. Whatever you decide to do, make sure your plan includes keeping the M. apparently there will be no more NA M cars so keep this one. good luck with your choice, but I really think you should keep it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
UNNATRAL
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

at the end of the day, an M3, along with EVERY other car out there, is just a bunch of metal parts, plastic, leather, steel and other parts. no matter what you do it wont stay mint forever, so you might as well buy snows for it and enjoy it as much as you can. We all only live once, so go for it. keep it and buy winters.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

not sure how much it snows in your new area, but keep the M and get a 4 wheeler for winter. problem solved. enjoy the car! i got mine for just over a month and already 5k miles on it and enjoying every bit. I seriously don't understand how ppl can barely have 1200 miles after 6 months. wat's the point if you don't drive it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I don’t get this unwanted attn thing. Who gives a crap what somebody else thinks. I can kinda understand the employers thing, but I can tell u, as an employer, I couldn't care less if my employee rolled up in a 911 turbo... in fact i'd probably ask for a ride. U worked hard and bought the car u wanted... slap some winter tires on it and drive it. Or if u can afford it, get a used 4wd for the winters.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

My 5c

1. Keep it! Drive it/ship it to your new home, buy an old 4 x 4 truck for really horrible days and rip around in the M as much as possible. You'll miss lots of aspects of the big city, don't punish yourself buy ditching the car.

2. I read a lot of posts talking about our m3s being the best ones ever etc, yep 100% truely great car, I had an e34 M5 thought the same thing....but the new m3 will be wicked (and better too for sure)...I had a 335d m-sport which I thought was the best car ever till I traded on an m3...

3. The local dealer will love you! (I'd watch the mileage though there would be a few keen test pilots in the service team)

4. No as if its a 911/355 ferrari or something....that would really stand out...kenny powers wouldn't take a 2nd look anyhow....

5. Daily drive it and look forward to the 50 yard power slide out of the driveway at the end your time there...assuming your not in the new m3.

Cheers
stu
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

Just because you buy another vehicle doesn't mean you have to RARELY drive the M. I guess gas is a factor with all of the money but what you use in the M you aren't using in your other vehicle.
I'm not being rude but it just seems like you think buying another car means never driving the M3.
Also if you want to save money, don't buy a new vehicle, especially if you are only living in the place for 3 years and plan on moving again after that time is up.

My advice:
Buy a good, weather enduring, not necessarily fun or fast, used vehicle. Find something off of craigslist or a place you can get a good deal. Use your M for the nice days, the spring summer and weekends. If you are staying in Texas, no matter where, I'm sure you'll still be able to drive your M for most of the year.
And DONT SELL THE M. You will regret it and probably hate yourself afterwards.

My .02 Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Glop
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E93 / 2007 335 coupe

Just keep the M and drive the hell out of it!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Why you have to decide this now? Move with the M3 and see how it goes first.

If you have a garage then theres really nothing to worry about. As far as attention... its no ferrari.

Live your life!
      02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Just get a winter wheel/tire setup, and DD the M3. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of us DD our M3s in wintery conditions. If the town is truly full of motorsports non-enthsiasts, they'll think your M3 is a 328 anyways. Debadge it if you really are worried about attracting attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

I moved to the middle of nowhere Iowa earlier this year and I also felt funny driving an M3 in the world of F-150s and Chevy’s. I did have dedicated snow tires and the M3 works great in the winter with them

Most folks knew I drove a BMW, but did not know what an M3 was, so it did not stick out as bad as I thought it might.

With the back roads (gravel) and winter, I decided to let the M3 go and get an X5 M. I don’t miss the M3 much, due to how crazy this SAV is and no one knows it’s a near $100K vehicle tax and tip included.

Then to top it off, I just bought a Ferrari F430 in Giallo (Yellow) hard to miss this car. I will make plenty of time to drive this car.

I decided that it is my life and I am going to live it and not worry about what folks think.

I do not take the F-Car to work since that would be a bit in-the-face, but otherwise I am driving it.

The M3 is such a great car and life is short, have a good time, be respectful and nice to others and you will be just fine……..Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNNATRAL View Post
at the end of the day, an M3, along with EVERY other car out there, is just a bunch of metal parts, plastic, leather, steel and other parts. no matter what you do it wont stay mint forever, so you might as well buy snows for it and enjoy it as much as you can. We all only live once, so go for it. keep it and buy winters.
thanks, i totally agree - we only live once. i do believe that all cars are meant to be driven (would daily drive a GT3 if i could comfortably afford one right now) but I do have some OCD personality tendencies about keeping the car in good condition despite being driven all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat View Post
not sure how much it snows in your new area, but keep the M and get a 4 wheeler for winter. problem solved. enjoy the car! i got mine for just over a month and already 5k miles on it and enjoying every bit. I seriously don't understand how ppl can barely have 1200 miles after 6 months. wat's the point if you don't drive it?
Totally agree - the only reason I don't drive more is because I work all the damn time (~80h/week) and I believe in living close to work. So >75% of my mileage is for pure pleasure, not work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I don’t get this unwanted attn thing. Who gives a crap what somebody else thinks. I can kinda understand the employers thing, but I can tell u, as an employer, I couldn't care less if my employee rolled up in a 911 turbo... in fact i'd probably ask for a ride. U worked hard and bought the car u wanted... slap some winter tires on it and drive it. Or if u can afford it, get a used 4wd for the winters.
I agree with you, but people who don't appreciate cars simply don't understand. However, there are people who get offended when someone half their age drives a more expensive car - I think it offends their pride somehow. People in my field are generally on the more conservative side but in the end, it doesn't change what I'll do with my own money.

My issue is more of one of privacy - if I'm the only AW M3 in town, then anyone who sees my car parked somewhere will know that I'm inside. I have decals on my car that I may think about taking off. I can't explain it, but I really enjoy privacy and anonymity despite knowing an M3 will never be the most innocuous car on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistu View Post
My 5c

1. Keep it! Drive it/ship it to your new home, buy an old 4 x 4 truck for really horrible days and rip around in the M as much as possible. You'll miss lots of aspects of the big city, don't punish yourself buy ditching the car.

2. I read a lot of posts talking about our m3s being the best ones ever etc, yep 100% truely great car, I had an e34 M5 thought the same thing....but the new m3 will be wicked (and better too for sure)...I had a 335d m-sport which I thought was the best car ever till I traded on an m3...

3. The local dealer will love you! (I'd watch the mileage though there would be a few keen test pilots in the service team)

4. No as if its a 911/355 ferrari or something....that would really stand out...kenny powers wouldn't take a 2nd look anyhow....

5. Daily drive it and look forward to the 50 yard power slide out of the driveway at the end your time there...assuming your not in the new m3.

Cheers
stu
Thanks, and good point - newer is often better in a lot of ways. Hell, I still miss my E46 sometimes. But there's something special about the S65 in particular that makes me think I'm going to keep it around for a long time. In fact, I'm worried that in 6-8 years, there will be few great naturally aspirated streetable sports cars left on the market...let's pray that the GT3 will still exist, will still have a manual transmission option (not just PDK), and stick to the purity of driving experience that characterizes it today. Props for the kenny powers reference - one of my favorite shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac20 View Post
Just because you buy another vehicle doesn't mean you have to RARELY drive the M. I guess gas is a factor with all of the money but what you use in the M you aren't using in your other vehicle.
I'm not being rude but it just seems like you think buying another car means never driving the M3.
Also if you want to save money, don't buy a new vehicle, especially if you are only living in the place for 3 years and plan on moving again after that time is up.

My advice:
Buy a good, weather enduring, not necessarily fun or fast, used vehicle. Find something off of craigslist or a place you can get a good deal. Use your M for the nice days, the spring summer and weekends. If you are staying in Texas, no matter where, I'm sure you'll still be able to drive your M for most of the year.

My .02 Good luck!
Due to work schedule and logistical reasons, if I was going to have a daily driver, I wouldn't be able to drive the M more than a few thousand miles a year for the next 3 years. But after the overwhelmingly positive response on this thread, it may be a moot point as I may just:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glop View Post
Just keep the M and drive the hell out of it!
drive the hell out of it, indeed. Every time I reach 6-7-8k rpm I can't wipe the silly grin off my face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Why you have to decide this now? Move with the M3 and see how it goes first.

If you have a garage then theres really nothing to worry about. As far as attention... its no ferrari.

Live your life!
Logistical issues and most of all, way too much time working means I have to have a reasonable plan in mind before this June. You're right, it's no ferrari, and thank god. Sure there are days where I enjoy turning heads in that sweet 2.5-3.5k rpm resonant range in 3rd gear (stock exhaust currently), but other times I just want to enjoy my car in peace. This town is bound to be filled with bitchin' camaros, hemis, and the like, those "too-fast, too-furious" guys get old quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Just get a winter wheel/tire setup, and DD the M3. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of us DD our M3s in wintery conditions. If the town is truly full of motorsports non-enthsiasts, they'll think your M3 is a 328 anyways. Debadge it if you really are worried about attracting attention.
Great idea - I had been planning on changing to a gloss black emblem but running debadged for 3 years would be easy to do. I wonder if I should just run some solid all-seasons for these 3 years (hell, could probably get 3 years out of one set given the higher compound/treadwear ratings) just to make it through the occasional icy day. Will do more research on the weather patterns there - if it was full-on winter weather it'd be easier to simply run winter tires for a few months out of the year, but the decision gets tougher when it may be only 5-10 days out of the year that I absolutely can't make it to work on summer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I moved to the middle of nowhere Iowa earlier this year and I also felt funny driving an M3 in the world of F-150s and Chevy’s. I did have dedicated snow tires and the M3 works great in the winter with them

Most folks knew I drove a BMW, but did not know what an M3 was, so it did not stick out as bad as I thought it might.

With the back roads (gravel) and winter, I decided to let the M3 go and get an X5 M. I don’t miss the M3 much, due to how crazy this SAV is and no one knows it’s a near $100K vehicle tax and tip included.

Then to top it off, I just bought a Ferrari F430 in Giallo (Yellow) hard to miss this car. I will make plenty of time to drive this car.

I decided that it is my life and I am going to live it and not worry about what folks think.

I do not take the F-Car to work since that would be a bit in-the-face, but otherwise I am driving it.

The M3 is such a great car and life is short, have a good time, be respectful and nice to others and you will be just fine……..Steve
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for posting your experience. This is a lot like my situation, except that I'm not far enough along in my career to be thinking 100K car (or I'd be in a 997.2 GT3 already). I'm already leaning towards bringing the M alone and just making it work. Do you love the F430? Post some pics! They look great in giallo modena, especially with yellow calipers and yellow deviating stitching, drool...
      02-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Option 3).

Sell the M3, buy a Ford F150 & you'll have all the privacy/anonymity you need/want.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Attention? Most people will see a BMW and that's it. These really are rather low-key (racing) cars.

As for snow, get good snow tires -- Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds if you're going to have bouts of snow punctuated by periods of dry pavement, Blizzaks if you're going to be in the snow and such most of the season -- and protect the car with a clear bra. The M3 is actually pretty great in the snow, and I say this as someone who drove a 3-series xi for 3 years.

If you really want anonymous, forget the wrx/sti silliness. Those little buggers with big scoops on the hoods are flashy. Lots of show. I've had an Outback and they can be quite nice to drive. Or take a bead on the area first, and get what everyone else is driving. Subarus are big in Colorado, but some parts you'd be more anonymous with a pickup, other parts with a Buick. Maybe a Ford Taurus would be suitably anonymous. Or a Ford Focus? Maybe a used Chevy Cavalier? You might be able to find an AMC Pacer that runs. Or a Chevy Vega. If that's not suitably humble for your neighbors, then maybe you should invest in a custom exhaust, tint your windows, and just drive your beautiful car and let them look and wonder!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #15
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

lulz (AMC Pacer, Chevy Vega)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #16
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Who cares if you're the only one driving an M3? The car is for you not other people. The negative attention you're talking about will be extremely minimal, and reacting to it is super insecure and like being afraid of your own shadow. Don't let other's oppinions weigh on your shoulders.

An M3 will deal with light snow just fine with snow tires, assuming you're talking less than 20" a year.

You're probably being naive and idealistic to think you'll keep the M3 forever. Cars get old fast. Something shinier and way better will pop up in a few years. A lot of people think they'll keep their first expensive performance car for a decade, I thought the same thing, I've owned 10 cars and 5 performance cars since in 7 years.

So daily drive the M3 for 3 years, get winter tires and then get something better.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #17
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

May be his wish not to stick out has something to do w/ his job...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #18
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

It's not the snow/ice that you should be worried about on your summers... it's the colder temps (<7C or 44F) in the winter months that render your summer rubber useless. I definitely recommend a dedicated winter setup as the rubber compounds respond completely differently in the colder temps.

To give you some idea, most of us Canadians run a dedicated winter setup, even in the mild West Coast winters where we get 2-4 days of snow per year, and moderate to heavy rain the rest of the fall, winter and spring. Ilis is bang-on - Dunlop 3Ds for mild winters, Blizzak LM60s for serious winters.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #19
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac20 View Post

My advice:

My .02 Good luck!
^this
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #20
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Unless been seen in the town with a M3 is going to be a negative for you and/or career etc then I would keep it with you. Especially if you plan on selling the car in 6 years then a scratch/bump here and there shouldn't be a major concern (unless of course every weekend there is someone keying your car!)
      02-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #21
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Damn this is long....so...

If you arent broke, keep the car. LOL

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You should do what puts you in the best state of mind for daily life, not what would put us in the best state of mind. All we can do is help you decide whether your fears are rational or not. If having a limited edition 3 series in a small town would be too stressful for you, then get something that fits in better. I am not sure that car would be a limited edition Subaru with bulging fender flares and a big scoop on the hood.

Anyway, you seem to be at a crossroads. I am not sure whether you are trying to fit in with your age group in your larger town through putting stickers on your car and trying to turn heads or whether you are simply trying to attract attention. If the former, buy a car that fits in with your age group in the smaller town. If the latter, I am not sure why you would be disturbed by finally getting the attention you have been seeking.

Were it me (and again, I am not you), I would buy snow tires and wheels for the M3 and continue to enjoy it. If I felt I could not continue to enjoy it, I would sell it and buy something I could enjoy. I like to enjoy my cars and an unhappy when I cannot. If you insist on all season tires, expect a compromise in snow and a compromise in dry. You cannot have everything. The Continental DWS is supposed to be very good.
Appreciate 0