BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Am I the only one?

Hey guys, today at my shop we got an 09 750Li in.

I first got in, and thought to myself, wow. Look at all this gadgetry. This isn't my first time in a technological car, but for some reason I got in and just paused and thought about how far things in the automobile world have come.

Everything is lit up, and digital, the whole works. At first i loved it, but I'm a simple guy. And realized i would probably never want own something so technical. Don't get me wrong, technology is a great thing.

Which brings me to my next point, all I see on this forum (or a large portion) of people wining about random pet peeves about the M3.
The other day, I was reading a thread where everyone was bashing the 08's Idrive. I was astounded, and thought to myself, really?
Is this what we've come down to? Buying a car of such greatness that we now luster about the little screen on the dashboard?

Give me an e90M3 in Interlagos Blue, and i'd be happy. Keep your heated seats, too.

Now when my parents bought my e46M3 a year ago, I didn't test drive it, nor did I car about what packages were in the car, or if it had NAV and the whole works.

I knew 4 things, I wanted an M3, it had to be white, it had to have imola interior. And it had to be clean, obviously.

So we found it, they bought it, and i've been pretty happy.

It seems alot of people have come to the point where they want the car to drive itself, and i'm not so sure i personally like it.

Hard to explain what I mean, but I think most of you will get my point.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Not really, when you're spending your hard earned money it's not unreasonable to want everything to be amazing.

Sure the M3 is amazing without the gizmos, but that doesn't mean that the gizmos it does have doesn't matter.

To use your own example, the 08 iDrive is "ok". It's nowhere near as nice as the current one. The 08 gps, however, is a huge joke.

It's easy to bash people when they complain about little things. Come back here after spending your own hard earned cash and tell me that those little annoying details don't bother you.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Not really, when you're spending your hard earned money it's not unreasonable to want everything to be amazing.

Sure the M3 is amazing without the gizmos, but that doesn't mean that the gizmos it does have doesn't matter.

To use your own example, the 08 iDrive is "ok". It's nowhere near as nice as the current one. The 08 gps, however, is a huge joke.

It's easy to bash people when they complain about little things. Come back here after spending your own hard earned cash and tell me that those little annoying details don't bother you.
+1

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:

Don't turn this into one of those threads about "spoiled kids" please.
My parents bought me a car, get over it. I'm sorry you weren't as fortunate?

All i'm saying is, there has to be some "simple" people left on this earth.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post

i think he's got a point, we work hard for our money and our cars, we demand perfection when we buy a $70k car, won't you? seriously, it matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

First you should consider yourself REALLY lucky that your parents bought you an e46 M3. E46 M3 is an amazing car that when I was in high school, I dreamed to even sit in one of them! Anyways, I don't complain about my car until there is something wrong with it. I bought it knowing that the iDrive is not that great comparing to the newer models or even other cars. I bought it for the EXTREME fun that it gives me when I drive it. Damn I love the sound of this car. But you should understand that when people pay around $80 - $90K of hard work for this car, they expect it to be PERFECT!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3

Last edited by Prince_of_Persia; 02-15-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Crap I'm on my iPhone and i need the don't feed the troll emoticon.
      02-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Now when my parents bought my e46M3 a year ago, I didn't test drive it, nor did I car about what packages were in the car, or if it had NAV and the whole works.

I knew 4 things, I wanted an M3, it had to be white, it had to have imola interior. And it had to be clean, obviously.

So we found it, they bought it, and i've been pretty happy.
As you see here, you (without paying anything) are demanding 4 things (one of them being the type of car, M3). We, the people who pays money for our cars, have a little more right to be picky about our cars compared to you.

Isn't it fair?
      02-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:

They've got a point, and it isn't about being fortunate or not. It's about what you're getting for your hard earned money.

There are definitely simple people left - those who order it with no options. But for those who demand something for the amount of money spent, I would say is pretty damn fair to complain about something like the I-drive.
      02-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
As you see here, you (without paying anything) are demanding 4 things (one of them being the type of car, M3). We, the people who pays money for our cars, have a little more right to be picky about our cars compared to you.

Isn't it fair?
Basically what he's saying is he prefers simplicity. Of course these days you're not going to get that, at least in the US market with package pricing. In Europe you can get any BMW with cloth seats and minimal bells and whistles if you want (every additional extra is available to choose or pass on). Had he left out the part of being given his car he'd probably be experiencing much less grief. That wasn't his main point. Many Germans and Europeans share his belief, and they pay far more for a new BMW than any American ever will. Are they all wrong too?
      02-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't, but your attitude will likely send the thread that way. Just because my parents didn't buy me a $30k car in no means does it mean I'm less fortunate than you. The arrogance or your assumption makes this a spoiled kid thread, not your car.

Anyways, bygones. That's not what this is about.

By the time you read this, you'll see that other people who weren't making assumptions saw exactly where I was going - expectations for something are higher when you've worked hard to earn it.

A fully loaded M3 runs around $80k out the door here (stupid 10% sales tax!). That's around $120k-$140k of pre tax money. Seriously, go earn that amount, then spend it on a car, and say that it's ok that the gps sucks.

Honestly, if the car were free, I'd be annoyed but could care less in the big picture. Things are a little different when your more directly involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Basically what he's saying is he prefers simplicity. Of course these days you're not going to get that, at least in the US market with package pricing. In Europe you can get any BMW with cloth seats and minimal bells and whistles if you want (every additional extra is available to choose or pass on). Had he left out the part of being given his car he'd probably be experiencing much less grief. That wasn't his main point. Many Germans and Europeans share his belief, and they pay far more for a new BMW than any American ever will. Are they all wrong too?
I'm not sure if that's what he's saying. He says people are bashing about 08 iDrives. So if people are paying all that money for it, they want something better. They have the right to be upset (especially after seing 09 iDrive ).
      02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to address this part. Sure there are, but they're not complaining about the 08 iDrive because they didn't get it in the first place!

The people complaining are the ones that bought it and expected the option to not (in their opinion) suck.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Wow, I'm somewhat surprised with the reactions the OP is getting. I agree with his post and was just thinking of this the other day.

A few days ago I recalled reading a post where a guy hadn't cleaned his car for ages. It was caked with dirt and mud both in and out. People on this forum killed him; going as far as saying he didn't *deserve* the car. I thought about this because I myself haven't washed my car in more than a month and the rain has left it looking horrid. Yet, the fact that I can't bask in the cleanliness of the exterior -- or the interior for that matter -- seriously makes me appreciate the car even more. Sure I lose that "sex appeal" feeling when I walk up to her, but as soon she starts up and I step on the gas (or even the brakes!) a smile develops that you couldn't beat off my off my face with a stick.

It may be twisted, but when I think of my purchase -- which was a huge one by any measure -- I consider myself as have paying for the car itself. Idrive, extended leather, PDC, etc... those are all just extras BMW threw in to sweeten the deal. And when you think of it that way, who would complain about extras?

Could the car be better? Yes.

Would I hesitate for more than a moment if I had to do it over again? No way; I love it!
      02-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Bringing the thread back to the base comment, I agree with this. I initially thought I wouldn't need PDC, or heated seats, or sun visors, but when you can have it for a little bit more $...they make the car that just more special and useful. I don't know how many times PDC has saved my ass from getting hit.

I'm not sure how you can rationalize that adding PDC makes the M3 less of an M3...it's a street car first, rather than a track car. If you wanted a dedicated stripped out track car, get a Lotus, and tell them to hold off the electric windows.

Or you can get a GT3RS or and old Ferrari360CS, oh wait...that costs significantly more...

the only recently released car that I know that's truely a stripper is a Evo 8/9 RS, air conditioning an option (non US spec), no ABS, no radio, roll down windows, is this what you really want for $70k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
Wow, I'm somewhat surprised with the reactions the OP is getting. I agree with his post and was just thinking of this the other day.

A few days ago I recalled reading a post where a guy hadn't cleaned his car for ages. It was caked with dirt and mud both in and out. People on this forum killed him; going as far as saying he didn't *deserve* the car. I thought about this because I myself haven't washed my car in more than a month and the rain has left it looking horrid. Yet, the fact that I can't bask in the cleanliness of the exterior -- or the interior for that matter -- seriously makes me appreciate the car even more. Sure I lose that "sex appeal" feeling when I walk up to her, but as soon she starts up and I step on the gas (or even the brakes!) a smile develops that you couldn't beat off my off my face with a stick.

It may be twisted, but when I think of my purchase -- which was a huge one by any measure -- I consider myself as have paying for the car itself. Idrive, extended leather, PDC, etc... those are all just extras BMW threw in to sweeten the deal. And when you think of it that way, who would complain about extras?

Could the car be better? Yes.

Would I hesitate for more than a moment if I had to do it over again? No way; I love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I'm one of those who prefer things a little more simplified than most.

I'm just thankful that you can still opt out of all of this BS they put in cars these days. I just have no use for it. I have an E46 3-series without a moonroof. Just for fun sometime see if you can find an E46 that doesn't have one. It was a mandatory option on the 330i for much of production.
      02-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
T.J.
I just wanna go fast
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jerez Black

When the next iDrive comes out, people will be bashing the current one just like they bash the 2008 one. However when the next motor engine comes out, I don't think the current engine will be bashed. Technology will always get better, so I don't worry myself with things like that, increased comfort is nice though, heated seats are great in the winter. It's just like the iPhone, when the iPhone 3g came out, the iPhone was bashed, then the 3gs came out, then the iPhone 4, now there's going to be an iPad 2, basically making previous models seem less adequate and making people want to buy something newer.

If the difference in cost for a used 2008 and used 2009 is around $10k, and the only difference in the two is iDrive and the newer model year, I'll take the 2008 model all day long just because that doesn't matter to me, I'd rather pocket 10k and use it for performance parts. The only 09 I see on eBay in the 40k range (high 40's) doesn't even have iDrive, so yeah, $10k or more in difference of the price I paid for mine.
      02-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

No one buys an M3 or any other similar car because they need it. They buy it because they want it. And what they want, is different than what I want, and than what you want. So having a car that's able to some degree cater to all those wanting different things is no easy task. Andas others have said, when you want something and fork over your money for it, you expect it to fulfills your expectations. So if it let's you down in any way, then yes, it's fair to voice your complaint. But I just can't help but laugh at all those who mention "simplicity" and the E9X M3 in the same breath. M-differential and Vanos are not models of simplicity.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

There is something OP is missing here. There is nothing wrong with simplicity. But when you spend extra $$$ for every little thing then you want those little thing to be perfect.

Let me give you an example. A few days ago I went to a restaurant. After meal, the waitress brought dessert although I didn't ask for it. She told me it was on the house. And dessert was not good at all (maybe that's why it was free ). But it did not bother me since it was free. I just took couple of bites and that was it.

A few days later I went to another restaurant. This time I order dessert. And again, the dessert was not good at all. But this time I was very unhappy because I was paying $8 for something that was not even close to what I expected.

I hope you get my point. When you spend money for something, you have all the right in the world to expect it to be the way it is supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I think it is very ok to be simple however, these cars are inherently not simple. And the type of people that are on this forum are the type of people who care about the details. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother spending 200$ on spacers to get our wheels to be flush, or bother spending an hour rubbing the airbag warning sticker off of our visors, and stuff like that.

You are a lucky guy that your parents bought you your car and yeah, in your situation the only options I would have also cared about is probably that it was an M3 and have preferences on the color. Beggars cant be choosers. If you started telling your parents that you want an M3 but it has to have Nav, CSL, Premium, ect or you dont want it then you really would look like a spoiled F'ing brat! But your not so thats cool. You should be happy with what you got (and it sounds like you are) because MOST people dont even get that in HS.

Finally, I think I can speak for most of the owners on here in saying that we are not all rich. Most of us work very hard for our money. As the poster a couple post ahead says, nobody needs an M3 but this is what we choose to spend our money on. So when I have worked my ass off to be able to have something as nice as this, I want it to be worth it and I want it work. The way I look at it is that if I blow a speaker, that is a 75k speaker and you can bet that I am going to want it fixed. Im not trying to roll in a 75k hoopdy.... On the other hand, I also have a 2004 dodge truck that I beat up and it gets scratched and im ok with that. So obviously im not too crazy. I can appreciate the simple fact that my truck is reliable and when I cant make it out of my neighborhood in the M because of snow and Ice that my beat up old truck will get me through it.

Last edited by F82_SID; 02-16-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
But I just can't help but laugh at all those who mention "simplicity" and the E9X M3 in the same breath. M-differential and Vanos are not models of simplicity.
We have no control over those types of things and they are at least transparent to us as long as they are functioning as designed. Don't get me wrong, I like simple but that deosn't mean I want a carburetor!
      02-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Let reiterate the only true statement in this thread so far:

Quote:
I will complain of anything that bothers me in my M3 as much that I want and then some, just because I paid for it with my own money...
Appreciate 0