BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
superfans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

DCT - no parking mode unless turn off engine

Wondering if you guys could shed some light on this? Tested a M3 with DCT but was unable to find the parking mode with the transmission. Noted that, if you turn off the engine, the transmission will change to "P". However, if the engine is running, then you can only shift to "N" and pull the handbrake (to avoid car rolling down the road) but simply cannot shift to "P" (without the need to use the handbrake) unless you turn off the engine.

One more question, how bad is it if forget to release the handbrake when parking the car? Will it hurt the handbrake or the hydraulic brakes?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

You are correct about only putting the car into park when you turn it off. But because the clutch is automated, you can simply leave it in gear one if you want and turn the car off avoiding shifting to neutral or park... but also because the clutch is automated (so disengaged when at a stand still), the car will roll back or forth in gear one depending on the slope.

And for the second question, you mean driving around with the parking brake on? Just as bad as in any other vehicle. I'm not sure why the parking brake would be on when you're parking the car... .that would imply that you had driven to whatever destination you are proceeding to park at with the parking break on... this would not be good.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
superfans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
you mean driving around with the parking brake on?
Thanks! Nope and did not drive around with parking brake on. The reason why parking brake was on was because had to get down from the car and grab something from my friend. As the transmission has no "P" mode, therefore had to shift it to "N" and pull the parking brake. But afterwards when parking the car, forgot to release the parking brake so basically only moving back and forth to park the car with parking brake on.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfans View Post
Thanks! Nope and did not drive around with parking brake on. The reason why parking brake was on was because had to get down from the car and grab something from my friend. As the transmission has no "P" mode, therefore had to shift it to "N" and pull the parking brake. But afterwards when parking the car, forgot to release the parking brake so basically only moving back and forth to park the car with parking brake on.
Oh got ya... yeah I wouldn't do it regularly, but I don't think you plan on doing that... I've accidentally tried to move with the parking brake on but realized immediately because the car really does not like to move with it on. I'm surprised you were able to get to go anywhere
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Treat the DCT like a manual car... there is no "P" in a Manual car. Neutral with handbrake.

at least in the M3, if you're in D, it's still like neutral so you won't stall the car
Appreciate 0