BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Brake problem, Dealer blows it off

I have an 08 135i that has been having some weird issues with the brakes, one minor one that could be major.

Starting with the minor, ever since I bought it a year ago at 28000 miles, it has had some squealing from what sounded like the left front brake. At first it was very minor and intermittent, and only when coming to a stop, and I thought nothing of it, cars with big brakes squeal sometimes, its normal. But over time it got worse. So when I brought it in for service I mentioned the problem. Dealership blew me off, saying I need to keep the wheels clean. Clean or not makes no difference, still squeals.

Over time it got worse. I mentioned this the next time in. Again, blew me off saying you need to clean the wheels. I knew they were wrong but what can I say?

Now it has gotten so bad, that not only does it squeal when coming to a stop, but I hear a squeak with each turn of the wheel at low speeds. It is so loud at times that I am genuinely embarrassed to drive my car. Brakes feel and work fine, but that can't be normal. Bring it in again, they say they can't hear it and send me home again. It is intermittent, but who knows if they even drove the car, I forgot to check mileage.

Now on to the major issue. You know how when you turn the car off and pump the brake, all the hydraulic assist is drained and the pedal becomes hard. That's normal, but now when I come back to my car after it has been sitting for a few hours, the pedal is hard like that all on its own. Before it would always be soft before I turned the car on, now all of a sudden it is always hard until the engine turns over a few times. This also causes the car to roll as soon as I put the clutch in, even with my foot on the brake, because without hydraulic assist you have to press really hard to keep from rolling.

Again, I told the dealer, and was told "This is normal, all cars do that." When told that's a load of crap, my car didn't do that before and there is a leak somewhere, he said "well we can't replace the brakes." and sent me away.

So I ask, what am I to do? They are the only dealer nearby, so I can't go somewhere else. The car technically still works, but the squeal is embarrassing and the leak makes me worry that it is going to fail completely sometime when I am driving and cause an accident. But they refuse to look at it, telling me its "Normal"

Anyone else have an issue like this or know what could be wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Find a different dealer. Make an appointment for a Saturday or take a day off work.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep

One other thing I didn't mention, the car is over the warranty period but because the complaints were made and recorded while it was still under warranty they have to honor it. Another dealership may not? I hate my dealership, they have tried to cheat me before (worthy of another thread on its own) but again I am afraid I am stuck with them. Distance is an issue as well, the next nearest is a long way off in another state.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Still go to another dealer and try to get it resolved. If worse comes to worse, take it to an individual repair shop and if they find something wrong, get it fixed, then sue the dealership for the costs for failure to honor the warranty.
      06-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Just replace your brake pads...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceworkbavaria View Post
Just replace your brake pads...
Or wire brush your rotors and re-bed in the brake pad.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Call up BMW NA, tell them everything you've just told us, and then schedule an appointment with the dealer that BMW NA is aware of and will follow up on...

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
techS54
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Hey dude, not sure of the cause of your grinding noise, sounds like maybe the inner pad on either side is worn metal to metal and isn't visible on the outside or excessive play on the wheel bearings causing pads to drag or possibly a noisy brake pad sensor. As for the hard pedal on initial startup here is the cause: Give this number to your dealer; SIB 34-06-07 "additional effort required to press brake pedal prior to initial start". It was a known issue on e9X vehicles, don't let them B.S. you. It basically involves replacing the vacuum check valve and pipe for your brake booster on vehicles under new vehicle warranty(minor repair). Whether or not they'll cover it due to your lapsed warranty is up to them. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's definitely not metal on metal grind, I checked the pads myself and they still have good thickness on them, and the dealership said the same thing. The squeal is the typical everything is normal sometimes the brakes squeak noise, just much more frequent and loud, as well as sometimes happening with each turn of the wheel at low speeds with no brakes applied, squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak....

That service bulletin sounds exactly like what is happening, thanks techS54! I will try that with the dealer, perhaps with a call to BMW beforehand and a request to see a manager.

Thanks a ton guys
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I called the SA to tell him about the service bulletin that matches my problem, and he made an appointment for me to come in.... on the 29th. I asked if there was anything sooner, was told no.

Couple days pass, and I get an email from BMW asking me to fill out a survey about my dealer experience. Well, I was honest. I told them everything that happened, and didn't pull any punches. It was pretty bad.

Funny thing, about an hour after I sent it off, I get a call from a manager, asking if I can bring the car in tomorrow morning, and saying they will provide a rental car. Coincidence? :-)
Appreciate 0