BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

New car and questions on BMW apps

Hey everyone
My wife and I were at the Welt last week taking delivery of my M3. There she saw the LCI X5 and really liked it. We decided to pick one up and just got a Diesel version one over the weekend. It has everything we want except for BMW apps. My new M3 comes with this option so I never thought of having to retrofit it, but I am curious as to how expensive it is to get in on the X5.

I have searched and emailed vendors about 6NR but can't seem to get an explanation as to what is actually needed. The X5 we picked up from the dealership has a build day of June 2011 so I assume it has all the latest hardware (post march build combox, etc. including the USB port in the arm rest). Can BMW apps just be enabled through coding? It already comes with the connected drive but no apps. I ask because I have contacted some vendors and the pricing seems really high to retrofit as they mention hardware and coding needed but then again I do not understand what is involved; i assumed that since it has the latest hardware it is just a matter of coding it to enable apps.

On another note, I downloaded the connected app from bmw into my iPhone, plugged the phone to the armrest port, fired up the app in my phone and tried to connect, but it just hangs. Am I missing something? Or is it that since I do not have apps on the car it does not work? I assumed it would at least connect to the car and give me fuel/travel info, etc.

Thanks for any insights as to what is involved in getting bmw apps to work on a new system just so that I can understand the high price for it.

I will post some ED pics asap
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by virjose View Post
Hey everyone
My wife and I were at the Welt last week taking delivery of my M3. There she saw the LCI X5 and really liked it. We decided to pick one up and just got a Diesel version one over the weekend. It has everything we want except for BMW apps. My new M3 comes with this option so I never thought of having to retrofit it, but I am curious as to how expensive it is to get in on the X5.

I have searched and emailed vendors about 6NR but can't seem to get an explanation as to what is actually needed. The X5 we picked up from the dealership has a build day of June 2011 so I assume it has all the latest hardware (post march build combox, etc. including the USB port in the arm rest). Can BMW apps just be enabled through coding? It already comes with the connected drive but no apps. I ask because I have contacted some vendors and the pricing seems really high to retrofit as they mention hardware and coding needed but then again I do not understand what is involved; i assumed that since it has the latest hardware it is just a matter of coding it to enable apps.

On another note, I downloaded the connected app from bmw into my iPhone, plugged the phone to the armrest port, fired up the app in my phone and tried to connect, but it just hangs. Am I missing something? Or is it that since I do not have apps on the car it does not work? I assumed it would at least connect to the car and give me fuel/travel info, etc.

Thanks for any insights as to what is involved in getting bmw apps to work on a new system just so that I can understand the high price for it.

I will post some ED pics asap
It should take exactly 20 minutes to add BMW Apps to your X5 as long as you do not want the video feature as well -that requires hardware that you X5 does not have.

I did a MY2011 M3 post-03/11 with exactly your same options and that was how long it took.

Contact http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548623
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

^^ thanks, I emailed him and hopefully he will let me know soon how to go about it. I really hope that it will be a fraction of the original estimate he gave me which included hardware, shipping, and coding for the whole features (I just want the apps)
Appreciate 0