BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Mini Review on JB4, AR DP & ST Suspension

I've just finished the JB4 upgrade, installed the AR catless DP and ST Suspension; and below are the mini-review on installaiton and performance improvement.

JB4 Upgrade:

The install is pretty straight forward and n54tech forrum provided a lot of good information about the upgrade.

The upgrade provided much smoother power delivery, better interface and I like the steering wheel control system.

AR Caless DP:

The install is extremely pain in the butt and virtually you have no room to work with. With the help from my son (who is a Honda mechanic) and his surpervisor (who is very knowledgeable and have a lot of experience in fixing various brands of vechicles), it took us 5 hours to install in his shop with a lift and all the power tools. The painfull part is to get the DPs line up with the mid-pipes and make sure no parts were touching each other and the body. It took 2 people to pry the DP and mid-pipe to line up and they were apart by 1/2 inch. I believe other 2.5 inch DP might be easier to install since you will have a little more room to work with.

However, the performance gain is noticeable and throatle response improved drastically. It sounds 20% louder and pop a lot during deceleration. My current setup is quite loud and if you don't like loud exhaust, my setup is not for you.

ST Suspension:

The install is not difficult except you have to remove a lot of parts including the steering rack for the driver side struct to drop out; and you do not have to compress the springs to remvoe the front structs. It took us 5 hours to install. My son made the same mistake other people was making by installing the adjustable mount at the bottom and rear stock top mount on the top and was complaining the rear height was tall; and I qucikly point out the problem and he was pissed.

The ride is more firm and controllable but not harsh and no more floaty feeling. The car is more planted in turns and bumpy surface. I dropped the car by 1 inch all around and the resulting look is good.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good review and +1 on the DP install.. it is a pain in the butt for sure.. >.<!!!
Appreciate 0