BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

99% Sure This Isn't Wastegate Rattle

Hi All,

So there is a higher-vibration rattling sound I get when I accelerate and keep the engine at a higher RPMs, but its a little different for each gear. So for example, in second gear I hear it around 3-4000 RPMs, but in third gear its slightly higher, and slightly higher again in fourth gear. It sounds like its coming from somewhere in the cabin. But upon closer listening I think its coming from directly below my shifter -- from the transmission. I can make the sound go away by shifting to a higher gear. For reference I have a 2008 6MT with about 29K miles and a BMW short shifter kit. I have Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive -- but I'm pretty sure I heard the sound even before flashing.

From all that I've read searching the forum, I do not believe this is the wastegate rattle. I don't hear the noise on start up or idle -- nor do I hear it upon deceleration from higher RPMs, which is characteristic of wastegate problems.

Any ideas as to what it could be?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Hmmm not sure. I swear my car makes so many little noises and rattles. Or im just really really paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
injectors; it's normal
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Since you think its coming from the shifter I would start poking around there. Try jacking up the car(and use some jack stands!) and look at the exhaust bracket (#5 & #6 in the foto bellow)... that holds the mid-pipes. I bet that bracket could be loose or missing. IF not I would then look at the rest of the echaust and also check out your shift linkage - perhaps something is loose down there. My bet is on your exhaust brace/bracket(s).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Since you think its coming from the shifter I would start poking around there. Try jacking up the car(and use some jack stands!) and look at the exhaust bracket (#5 & #6 in the foto bellow)... that holds the mid-pipes. I bet that bracket could be loose or missing. IF not I would then look at the rest of the echaust and also check out your shift linkage - perhaps something is loose down there. My bet is on your exhaust brace/bracket(s).
Thanks, Dack -- I will poke around down there and see what I can find. I cross-listed this on e90post.com and a few other folks mentioned that perhaps it could be the downpipes (something loose).
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Thanks, Dack -- I will poke around down there and see what I can find. I cross-listed this on e90post.com and a few other folks mentioned that perhaps it could be the downpipes (something loose).

You know with the engine cold(so you don't burn your hands) use a rag and grab the tail pipes. Move the exhaust around and see if you hear anything. This might be a good way to see if somethings loose on the exhaust w/o having to jack up the car and get all dirty.

IF not its time to get out the rubber hammer and start poking around there.
Appreciate 0