BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
John@Akuma
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW135

Cobb Accessport

I just wanted to say hello to the community. Figured this is a good time to intro myself and get a feel for the site. I own a shop in NJ, Akuma Motorsports, where we specialize in import performance and full race preparation. I will get a more formal 'intro' post going soon as well.

We are very excited to be a part of the boards and BMW community. I have had a 135 for over a year and left it stock until we had full control of the ECU. Now that the Cobb AP is released(for a while now) and we are testing the Beta Pro Tuner software, it is time to get the ball rolling. We have very exciting plans for this platform.

I was wondering how the BMW guys liked the AP thus far. Do you find that OTS(off the shelf mapping) is satisfactory? What types of tunes would you guys like to see in the future? Obviously, I will search and see what type of trends I encounter, but this may be a good place to start. We are heavily involved with the Time Attack and wheel to wheel racing market and the BMW community is a very large part of that interest. Hopefully I can get some good feedback on what you guys are looking for and really start to offer some much needed services and products to you.

So thanks for looking.

Regards,

John Shafer
Owner, Akuma Motorsports

...I am looking into what type of requirements/options are available for vendorship, so I hope I did not violate any rules with this post, as I plan on supporting the forum as best we can, asap.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

OK, I'll kick off with what I think would be well received - Cobb AP for the N55
      01-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle View Post
OK, I'll kick off with what I think would be well received - Cobb AP for the N55
+ 1000
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
+ 1000
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
John@Akuma
Rep

Excellent.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@Akuma View Post
I was wondering how the BMW guys liked the AP thus far. Do you find that OTS(off the shelf mapping) is satisfactory? What types of tunes would you guys like to see in the future?
I am completely satisfied with the Cobb A/P and OTS mapping, but I do have an N54 . I would like to see a completely stealth tune, one that you can leave on when you go to the dealer. That said, I understand this would be completely impossible with the manner in which coding is done and implemented. You asked though

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Akuma Motorsports...this sounds familiar as I came from a lancer evolution enthusiasts site (evolutionm.net), are you guys the same? If so, nice to have you here.

I am very happy with the OTS Stage 2+ maps from Cobb, however if I could ask for a bit more, I'd like to see a map that can take advantage of 50-50 E85 and 93 octane as I know the N54 can't run straight E85. I've been happy running this combo for the past 5 months now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@Akuma View Post
Excellent.
I don't get it... are you a Cobb reseller?
Do you influence what Cobb works on?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

i believe with the beta pro tuner software that Akuma would be able to create their own custom tunes
      01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx99 View Post
i believe with the beta pro tuner software that Akuma would be able to create their own custom tunes
But not to the extent of applying a N54 to to a N55. That has to come from Cobb, no?
So why his "excellent" answer?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
John@Akuma
Rep

AAAHH.... The short answer is, no, I do not rely on Cobb for mapping, I have FULL control over the ECU(same as Cobb) with their software. I will be releasing mapping for various mods and mod combinations as soon as we have the green light. We have an in-house car, but we will also be 'sponsoring' a few cars that have the AP already. If you have an interest, shoot me a PM.

The reason I have not moved Akuma to the BMW platform sooner was because of the limited nature of the tuning solutions. I would never use an off the shelf canned map for a car with mods that fit in a 'check box'. In other words, I feel more comfortable with full control of my calibrations and dyno time. I am a calibrator by trade and happen to own the shop as well. I do all of the dyno tuning and I also design all of our parts in house personally.

As a brief history, I started calibrating Subaru, Nissan and Mitsubishi.... which branched out to Corvette, Lotus, Honda, GM, Mazda etc... I am extremely well versed in Pectel, Motec, AEM and Autronic. I have consulted with the Subaru Road race team(Rolex Series) in developing their calibrator in regards to the Subaru ECU and Cobb software. I also worked for Cobb for a few years before opening Akuma(which Trey Cobb helped me open...big thanks). So I am extremely comfortable saying Cobb is an amazing company with exceptionally talented engineers. As such, I was thrilled when I got a pre-release of the software to finalize the Beta testing with(along with Cobb and a few other tuners). Sorry for the abridged history, but I figured it may be relevant with this type of thread. I am happy to talk to anyone if they want to know a bit more about my history or Akuma.

Akuma has been around for a few years, and we are very well established in the Subaru, GTR, Mazda, Mitsu communities. We have a small line of parts we make and sell from Akuma and handle all installs, custom fab work, dyno tuning, etc in our Woodbridge, NJ location. I would be happy to explain a bit more of what we do, but I don't want to come across as a sales pitch for the shop.

The main point is I wanted to get your feedback on how the OTS mapping is working, can we offer more options... I want to get an understanding of what you guys tend to do in terms of mods, and you expectations for calibration work. If I can get a better grip on the community, we will have a far better product in the future. I hope this helps a bit, and don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Thanks guys!

John

...Rnmevo9... yup, we are the same Akuma.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
John@Akuma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
But not to the extent of applying a N54 to to a N55. That has to come from Cobb, no?
So why his "excellent" answer?
My excellent was to indicate that I was happy to see the Cobb AP is doing well in this community.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
mitch55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

+1 for N55 Support
      01-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

help them finish their meth / upgraded turbo support?
Appreciate 0