BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Catless motoring, motoring in NY

Ok so I have a stock 08 135i. I want to change that this year but I am so lost as to what to do when it comes to getting catless downpipes.

By now, I'm sure plenty of you guys have catless setups. I'd like to hear how some of you are getting around the legal barrier in terms of inspection and what not. I Hear its a bitch to put them on in the first place and i dont have a lift nor do i have any know-how when it comes to modifying cars so i'd have to have someone else do it or pay a shop to do it.

Would i be able to leave the catless DP on if i get the DP fix? I know someone that said he could pass me as long as there aren't any lights on the dash and such...

Should I just get catted downpipes ? I would but I feel like that defeats the purpose of change anything under there in the first place.

The last thing I want to mention is that I was researching and looking into a lot of maddad videos. Those exhaust seem to sound as if the catalytic converters are untouched which is the sales pitch. It sounds good from the videos I've watched but I'd like to hear from someone about how they feel about the system.

Any insight on any aspect of changing the exhaust system is welcome.
      02-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

Well im in california where they are awful about emmisions. I havent had to smog it yet but i havent had any problems from the police though. Im not sure if thats an issue in new york, but in ca there are cops that will pull you over for the smell or the noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I did not want to take a chance so I bought AR catted DP's. Also, as you mentioned it would be a pain in the ass to change them out before inspection albeit not very frequently. They are far less restrictive versus the stock DPs, but they are $$$. Good luck

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I'm also looking to get aftermarket DPs to run JB4 map 2..
Can't decide whether to go catless or not..
Emissions aren't a problem, but I'm not looking for something loud..
I'm interested in the sound difference between stock x catted x catless
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I did not want to take a chance so I bought AR catted DP's. Also, as you mentioned it would be a pain in the ass to change them out before inspection albeit not very frequently. They are far less restrictive versus the stock DPs, but they are $$$. Good luck
Are you able to pass inspection with the AR catted DPs? I've heard that they sometimes throw codes as well -- have you experienced this (i.e. do you need/use a DP fix?)?

Thanks in advance
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Are you able to pass inspection with the AR catted DPs? I've heard that they sometimes throw codes as well -- have you experienced this (i.e. do you need/use a DP fix?)?

Thanks in advance
I have the BMS DP fix just in case...the shop that did the install recommended this for the exact reason you mentioned. No issues to date. I dont have to go for emissions until 2013.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexim View Post
I'm also looking to get aftermarket DPs to run JB4 map 2..
Can't decide whether to go catless or not..
Emissions aren't a problem, but I'm not looking for something loud..
I'm interested in the sound difference between stock x catted x catless
bump
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Catlexx DP is the way to go since cat DP still throw emission codes. Also, you will need a BMS DP fix even you have a JB4 in order to pass the emission test. It is almost impossible for a regular emission inspector to know whether your car has no cat since either they have no clue about BMW and also hardly they can see with all the under car plastic tray covers.

It sound louder than more agressive, but the installation is a pain and some shope do install right. So, be prepare to deal with the hassle like passing emission test and incorrect installation.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

We don't have emission tests where I live.. I just didn't want something really loud.. A little louder is all right.. You mean the installation os just the DP is a pain???
Anything in particular??
I'm a bit worried 'cause BMWs aren't so popular where I live so the shops aren't familiar with them.
Anything I should warn them about??
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

If you don't have emission test in where you live, you have just removed a big fear factor associated with DP upgrade. But still the installation is a pain in the butt and if not installed correctly you might have boost leak problem (like the V-Clamp bolt is blocking the trubo wastegate actuating rod), or you may seee 30FF code more often after the DP installation.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
If you don't have emission test in where you live, you have just removed a big fear factor associated with DP upgrade. But still the installation is a pain in the butt and if not installed correctly you might have boost leak problem (like the V-Clamp bolt is blocking the trubo wastegate actuating rod), or you may seee 30FF code more often after the DP installation.
Yeah I've heard about this v-clamp blocking the wastegate rod.. I'll keep an eye open.. What is the 30FF code?? Doesn't JB4 have a code deletion scheme??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Yes, the JB4 has the code deletion feature and it will delete all error codes, but your car still won't pass the emission since your car will fail the readyness test as soon as you by pass the JB4 (revert it to map 0). It a long story short, please search on this subject if you want to know more how to pass emission with catxxx DP.

The 30FF code mean turbo boost leak some where between the intake or exhaust tracks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the JB4 has the code deletion feature and it will delete all error codes, but your car still won't pass the emission since your car will fail the readyness test as soon as you by pass the JB4 (revert it to map 0). It a long story short, please search on this subject if you want to know more how to pass emission with catxxx DP.

The 30FF code mean turbo boost leak some where between the intake or exhaust tracks.
Thanks for the input.. It's all right for me then 'cause like I said there's no emission tests or anything of the sort where i live... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Catlexx DP is the way to go since cat DP still throw emission codes. Also, you will need a BMS DP fix even you have a JB4 in order to pass the emission test. It is almost impossible for a regular emission inspector to know whether your car has no cat since either they have no clue about BMW and also hardly they can see with all the under car plastic tray covers.

It sound louder than more agressive, but the installation is a pain and some shope do install right. So, be prepare to deal with the hassle like passing emission test and incorrect installation.
Do the secondary cats minimize or prevent the very distinct odor of the exhaust? I know I can easily tell cat-less cars, but I'm not sure how much the secondary cats are doing in this regard.

I'm curious as the odor is the only thing stopping me. Right now all emissions test facilities in my area are indoors in tiny little car garages, and they leave the car running for about 2 minutes during the test, so the smell would be a DEAD give away in this scenario.

Thanks

Last edited by siegester; 02-26-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0