BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
iamcpap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Nav Issue - Wrong directions, can't find addresses

Hi all, I did a quick search, but it returned no results or not this issue...

Sometimes when I go to enter an address it won't allow me to enter the correct address, as if the address is 2031 N. Damen, it will just have the "1" already selected for the first digit, as if there is no 2000 block on N. Damen.

Same issue when trying to come home, it says my address doesn't exist in Chicago, unless i enter the Zip code, but Zip code isn't always available when you are entering an address...

Also, the system gives me wrong directions. So I am going on the expressway and it tells me to get off at an exit, then tells me to make a u-turn, so i make a u-turn and as soon as I do it tells me to make another u-turn and the cycle just repeats itself.

I have now resorted to putting my iphone in front of my nav and using that. I emailed the GM i work with at my dealer and he says that B<W is working on a new map vendor for their North America nav, but there is not a resolution in place as of yet...

Does anyone have a workaround to upload good information or any insider information if this has been discussed before.

Thanks!
Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
nope
the BMW nav sucks
have it on my M3 and on my wifes X3
they both sucks

on the way back from NY for new years
the nav had us go through the toll, then it asked us to get back on the toll and we had to pay again
then it did the same thing again
i said hell no
and just whipped out my iphone and used Navigon
i only use the nav to see traffic conditions
      03-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Why does this thread remind me of the a**holes who pay too much attention to their navi's and end up submersed 10 feet under. Like seriously.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i the issue of not finding addresses was just because i have a 2008 MY disc.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
iamcpap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Why does this thread remind me of the a**holes who pay too much attention to their navi's and end up submersed 10 feet under. Like seriously.
Tread lightly... I rarely use my Nav unless it is somewhere I have never been. Hence my frustration since the only time I use it is when I really NEED it. I knew it was sending me in a weird direction every time and just trusted it as I have NEVER had this happen in either of my Jeeps or when using any phone and thought MAYBE it knew a better way then I did...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
How dare you imply I'm paying too much attention to my navigation?
Do you even know me?
I urge you to reconsider

I'd never waste too much time looking at the navigation maps
I'm too busy updating my Facebook
      03-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Apparently, BMW switched map data providers in 2009 or so (presumably to reduce cost), and there have been a ton of complaints in Roundel (BMWCCA magazine) recently about the map data being really bad. I haven't had a ton of issue personally, but there are many unhappy people.

However, your personal issue where the 1 is already filled in and you can't select 2 seems more like what happens when you select the wrong "area" for the street. I know sometimes when you select a street, it gives multiple options for the street in different areas, and if you happen to select the wrong one, you can't find the street address. Usually that can be fixed by going back and selecting the other street area. Frankly, address input for the NAV is probably my biggest complaint about the car -- I'm not sure why something Garmin makes pretty simple, BMW makes so hard.