XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
sariantino
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

X5 clunk at full lock???

Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help me save some time and potentially some money.

I have just bought a 01 plate X5 sport 4.4 and the only problem i havent been able to resolve myself is in relation to a 'clunk' sound coming from what seems to be the front left of the vehicle when in full lock at slow speed - normally plling into my driveway. As of yet I have taken it to a local garage which can't seem to find the problem but I'm hoping maybe someone with experience of the problem or good mechanical knowledge could help me out????

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sariantino View Post
Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help me save some time and potentially some money.

I have just bought a 01 plate X5 sport 4.4 and the only problem i havent been able to resolve myself is in relation to a 'clunk' sound coming from what seems to be the front left of the vehicle when in full lock at slow speed - normally plling into my driveway. As of yet I have taken it to a local garage which can't seem to find the problem but I'm hoping maybe someone with experience of the problem or good mechanical knowledge could help me out????

thanks
Sounds like bad CV axle (joint). Perhaps the rubber boot got torn, lost the grease, and got damaged due to no lubrication. Also, I had a car that got bad CV joint while no grease loss occured.

But you threw me off when you said a local garage couldn't find the problem. Did the garage guy drive the vehicle to try reproduce?
With a bad CV joint, clunking happens during increased stress, such as uphill drive or turning. I am guessing they lifted the car in the shop, so might not be able to diagnose that way, especially if the boot looked normal.

What is a CV axle and HOW TO tell if it's bad:

BMW CV Shaft X5 E70 Removal & Replacement How to DIY: BMTroubleU:
Appreciate 0