ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Bluesharp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Roadster, Montego Blue

Computer adjustments

Hey guys and gals!

I'll be taking Bluesie in for her 15k service soon, and there's a couple of adjustments I'd like them to make. I was wondering if anyone knows which of these are possible, in case the service guy just doesn't feel like it or is too lazy to find out. It's always helpful to be armed with information.

1. I want the "automatic" headlight setting to turn the lights on in the daylight as well as in the dark. (lights on for safety)

2. I want the damned seatbelt alarm to quit beeping at me every time I start the car. (I ALWAYS wear my seat belt, even when I just back it up in my driveway. But I also always start the car while the key is in my hand, rather than put it in the ignition, let go, buckle up, then grab the key again. It's just naturally more efficient.) What are the possible options, here? Is there a delay option? Have it ring only when the car goes into gear? Turn it off completely?

3. I LOVE the Sat Nav unit, but is there any way to adjust the color settings? (The background of city is blue, and parks is green... cool. But the background for most terrain is nearly white. When you select a destination, the road to take turns white. White road on white background = invisible road. This is rediculous.) Is there any way to make the nutral backround darker or switch the chosen road to Black or something?

I also need to get the passenger cupholder fixed. There is one piece of cheap plastic in there that snaps pretty easily. I'm sure they will fix it.

While I'm at it, I'd like to get the chrome tailpipe sleeves. Who would you recommend I get them from? I assume the dealer would be expensive.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

I share your annoyance with the seatbelt/key warning chime. It's a world class pain in the butt.

I brought the topic up on z4um and got nothing but grief from people who assumed I would not wear the seatbelt if the dinger didn't remind me to. I responded that anyone so stupid as to need a dingdong to remind them to wear the stupid belt were probably too stupid to earn enough money to buy a Z4.

Stupid, stupid, stupid..........aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh.:evil :

OK, I'm better now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

1. Yes it's possible.

2. dunno

3. dunno

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

1) Yes, definitely (DRL - Daytime Running Lights)
2) No
3) I don't know.

I would recommend chrome exhaust tips from the dealer. They're made especially for your car. Alternatively, get OEM tips from another parts dealer or ebay.

zednik, you should be ashamed of yourself for wanting to drive without your seatbelt. Shame on you. Shaaaaaaame!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5 Maldives Blue

after 11 months of Z4 ownership, I finally noticed the seat belt "chime". Doesn't bother me at all. It usually gets a whole 3 beeps before i'm buckled up. I'm guessing that I never noticed it on any of the other cars that i've owned.
      07-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Never heard it...you gotta learn the sit, buckle, ignition motion.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

It seems to be the young'uns who don't notice or mind the seat belt warning..............
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Do you have the xenon lights with the angel eyes? If you do, people have mentioned that the DRL are pretty much useless since the angel eyes are way too dim and almost unnoticible under day-light. Might be better off leaving the headlights in the ON position and save the $100 the dealer would charge for programming.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesharp View Post
2. I want the damned seatbelt alarm to quit beeping at me every time I start the car. (I ALWAYS wear my seat belt, even when I just back it up in my driveway. But I also always start the car while the key is in my hand, rather than put it in the ignition, let go, buckle up, then grab the key again. It's just naturally more efficient.) What are the possible options, here? Is there a delay option? Have it ring only when the car goes into gear? Turn it off completely?

I also need to get the passenger cupholder fixed. There is one piece of cheap plastic in there that snaps pretty easily. I'm sure they will fix it.
I just conducted a non-scientific experiment. I started my car and idled for 75 seconds. No alarm. I reversed out of my driveway for 20 seconds. No alarm. After driving forward for 17 seconds the alarm started. My car was manufactured 10/06. I bet you can get this adjusted if your alarm starts beeping as soon as you start the car. That must be totally annoying!

As for the passenger cup holder, mine broke the first time it was ever used, only 1 week after I bought the car. Very cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #10
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yal View Post
after 11 months of Z4 ownership, I finally noticed the seat belt "chime". Doesn't bother me at all. It usually gets a whole 3 beeps before i'm buckled up. I'm guessing that I never noticed it on any of the other cars that i've owned.
My 04 Z4 3.0i did not have a seat belt alarm. I assumed it was a new feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

My beats after I drive for a little while, might be a speed thing might be a distance traveled thing. Who knows, I'm buckled up before it starts beeping cause it's oh so annoying.

As for the automatic headlights I think he means he wants his full low beams on during the day, not just DRL as well as being able to keep his dial on AUTO so it turns off when he takes the key out. I believe you can adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor, not sure if you can do it to the point where it always thinks it's dark but it's worth a shot.

The cup holder thing, my driver side is broken, when i go in for my service I'll have it fixed, until now, no drinks in my car anyways.

Lastly, dont have NAVI so cant comment on that one =) gluck
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post

As for the automatic headlights I think he means he wants his full low beams on during the day, not just DRL as well as being able to keep his dial on AUTO so it turns off when he takes the key out. I believe you can adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor, not sure if you can do it to the point where it always thinks it's dark but it's worth a shot.

Ahh...makes more sense now. It's an easy fix. Use those "transparent" black paint that people use to tint tail-lights, and spray over the head-light sensor (at the back of the rear-view mirror) on the outside of the windshield. That'll fool the head-light sensor. It's easily reversible when selling the car someday. There's some kind of solution (can't remember the name) that can remove the paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #13
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Oh haha I never would've thought about that, that's totally ninja status right there. Good tip!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Bluesharp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Roadster, Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Ahh...makes more sense now. It's an easy fix. Use those "transparent" black paint that people use to tint tail-lights, and spray over the head-light sensor (at the back of the rear-view mirror) on the outside of the windshield. That'll fool the head-light sensor. It's easily reversible when selling the car someday. There's some kind of solution (can't remember the name) that can remove the paint.
That's an interresting thought, but wouldn't that fool the rearview mirrors into thinking there's a mac truck with it's brights on behind me too?
      07-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesharp View Post
That's an interresting thought, but wouldn't that fool the rearview mirrors into thinking there's a mac truck with it's brights on behind me too?
Nope. The autodimming rear view mirror has a different sensor.
Appreciate 0