06-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Need to decide between Silverstone, Platinum and Champagne

I like white leather with a slightly creamy tint. I also like plain white leather though I prefer the slightly creamy white because it looks richer. I don't like gray leather which is my concern about silverstone. Platinum looks the whitest, but I am wondering if it really is any lighter than champagne. Is Champagne more yellow, and Platinum more beige?

BTW I am looking at Full Leather for all three options.

Which of these three should I get?

Full Champagne (picture shows extended but I would order Full):

Full Platinum:

Full Silverstone

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-17-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Go with platinum or silverstone...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Silver Stone and get full leather.
      06-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I should have explained - I am getting full leather regardless, so the choice of silverstone of the others shouldn't be because of full leather. It should be because of whiteness.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

What exterior are we talking? (sorry if I missed this)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Get the platinum. Looks the best of the three pictures you have shown. It looks off-white to me, whereas the champagne color has too much yellow.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
What exterior are we talking? (sorry if I missed this)
Monte Carlo Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

Monte Carlo Blue
Silverstone then. It is a stunning combo. I'd go Platinum with a black exterior.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

Unless I am mistaken you can't get any of them in full leather apart from silverstone??
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
Unless I am mistaken you can't get any of them in full leather apart from silverstone??
Sure you can... read may inidiviual options and cost thread.
Individual Full is a $6825 adder versus the $5000 adder for Individual Extended, you get the door tops and upper dash in Blak Walknappa leather.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[quote=stealth.pilot;12171463]I like white leather with a slightly creamy tint. I also like plain white leather though I prefer the slightly creamy white because it looks richer. I don't like gray leather which is my concern about silverstone. Platinum looks the whitest, but I am wondering if it really is any lighter than champagne. Is Champagne more yellow, and Platinum more beige?

BTW I am looking at Full Leather for all three options.

Which of these three should I get?

I say platinum.
Ask your dealer if he has samples of these, you will like the platinum better in my estimation. It is more of a high fat content cream color (heavy whipping cream should be the name).
Silverstone definitely has gray to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Monte Carlo on Silverstone looks absolutely fantastic, I saw it in person. As for the other colors, Platinum is kind of a very light silver with a yellow gold tinge to it, and Champagne is straight up yellow; I don't think either one would look white to you in person. Silverstone on the other hand isn't gray at all; it's actually silver with an ice blue tinge to it (kind of like the Silverstone exterior color, which also has a green tinge that the interior lacks). It looks spectacular, and I think is undoubtedly the best choice with MCB. Platinum might work (though not as well), but stay away from Champagne with MCB. And if you get Silverstone or Platinum, I'd recommend keeping the normal aluminum trim, but if you get Champagne I'd really recommend Piano Black. I initially preferred Silverstone+Piano, but then I got to see Silverstone+aluminum. It doesn't clash like I'd feared, and in fact looks much better than the configurator would lead you to believe. I now think aluminum works better than Piano Black with a sporty interior like Silverstone.

If you want to get a better sense of RELATIVE coloration, play with the M6 configurator, which does have a true white leather option.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-18-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Silverstone would get my vote out of these three for MCB
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Monte Carlo on Silverstone looks absolutely fantastic, I saw it in person. As for the other colors, Platinum is kind of a very light silver with a yellow gold tinge to it, and Champagne is straight up yellow; I don't think either one would look white to you in person. Silverstone on the other hand isn't gray at all; it's actually silver with an ice blue tinge to it (kind of like the Silverstone exterior color, which also has a green tinge that the interior lacks). It looks spectacular, and I think is undoubtedly the best choice with MCB. Platinum might work (though not as well), but stay away from Champagne with MCB. And if you get Silverstone or Platinum, I'd recommend keeping the normal aluminum trim, but if you get Champagne I'd really recommend Piano Black. I initially preferred Silverstone+Piano, but then I got to see Silverstone+aluminum. It doesn't clash like I'd feared, and in fact looks much better than the configurator would lead you to believe. I now think aluminum works better than Piano Black with a sporty interior like Silverstone.

If you want to get a better sense of RELATIVE coloration, play with the M6 configurator, which does have a true white leather option.

This is what Im thinking, Im getting MCB with Silverstone but decided to go with Piano Black Trim. I thought it would provide more contrast than the brushed aluminum and silverstone. The piano black to me adds a little more sickness
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
manny335ia
Rep
Drives: 07 335ia

I would choose Champagne as my first choice, and Silverstone as my second choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
manny335ia
Rep
Drives: 07 335ia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm View Post
This is what Im thinking, Im getting MCB with Silverstone but decided to go with Piano Black Trim. I thought it would provide more contrast than the brushed aluminum and silverstone. The piano black to me adds a little more sickness
Good choice with the Piano blk trim. LOVE THAT TRIM!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm View Post
That was exactly what I thought, until I saw aluminum in person. It is VERY cool, simultaneously sporty and highly intricate; there's a very impressive vertical sawtooth pattern running down the strips between the "slats" in the aluminum that makes it look like a fine jewelry watch. I also like the bevel in the aluminum, which I don't think you get with Piano, but can't tell for certain because the configurator's contrast isn't good enough to determine. I think if you're getting Full leather, aluminum will be a nice accent/contrast color between the Silverstone on the underside of the dash and the black leather at the top, whereas Piano will kind of blend with the upper dash but not really. Just my .02. I'm sure it will look great either way, but wanted to let you know since I would have ordered with Silverstone+Piano until I saw aluminum; I would now go Silverstone+aluminum no question. Now if you were doing Sakhir or Silk Grey as your interior, Piano Black all day long.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 06-18-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
That was exactly what I thought, until I saw aluminum in person. It is VERY cool, simultaneously sporty and highly intricate; there's a very impressive vertical sawtooth pattern running down the strips between the "slats" in the aluminum that makes it look like a fine jewelry watch. I also like the bevel in the aluminum, which I don't think you get with Piano, but can't tell for certain because the configurator's contrast isn't good enough to determine. I think if you're getting Full leather, aluminum will be a nice accent/contrast color between the Silverstone on the underside of the dash and the black leather at the top, whereas Piano will kind of blend with the upper dash but not really. Just my .02. I'm sure it will look great either way, but wanted to let you know since I would have ordered with Silverstone+Piano until I saw aluminum; I would now go Silverstone+aluminum no question. Now if you were doing Sakhir or Silk Grey as your interior, Piano Black all day long.
Thanks for your thoughts. Could go either way, but 9/1 needs to get here.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the responses, but to be honest these responses don't really help. I'm not really looking for the most popular interior choice, I am looking for one which has the same color as heavy whipping cream.

From the pictures above Platinum seems to be the closest to that description. However pictures can be misleading. I have seen photos online where Platinum looks like beige or cream white, Silverstone looks like white or like gray, and Champagne looks like white or yellow.

So I guess the question is are the pictures I posted color accurate? If not can you direct me to a more color accurate photo? Also only comment if you are certain because you have a high quality color accurate monitor like on an iMac and have seen these leathers in actuality.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
I say platinum.
Ask your dealer if he has samples of these, you will like the platinum better in my estimation. It is more of a high fat content cream color (heavy whipping cream should be the name).
This is exactly what I am looking for. What do you make of the post above by the guy who says Platinum leather is light silver colored with gold tinge?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, but to be honest these responses don't really help. I'm not really looking for the most popular interior choice, I am looking for one which has the same color as heavy whipping cream.

From the pictures above Platinum seems to be the closest to that description. However pictures can be misleading. I have seen photos online where Platinum looks like beige or cream white, Silverstone looks like white or like gray, and Champagne looks like white or yellow.

So I guess the question is are the pictures I posted color accurate? If not can you direct me to a more color accurate photo? Also only comment if you are certain because you have a high quality color accurate monitor like on an iMac and have seen these leathers in actuality.
Does your local dealer have any samples? That is the only way to really see what your eye is looking for.
Have you seen this?
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2595
Size:  102.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly what I am looking for. What do you make of the post above by the guy who says Platinum leather is light silver colored with gold tinge?
As the guy who made the post above, I would say that high-fat cream is an apt description as well; the "fat" and yellow gold tinge are basically two descriptions for the same effect, and "very light silver" really does mean VERY light, so I could see a near-white cream being used to describe the same "base".

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0