ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Bluesharp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Roadster, Montego Blue

3.0 vs. ///M thoughts

Hey guys. I'm not trying to start any rivalries or arguments here, just share my thoughts.

When I ordered Bluesie, I also test drove the ///M (and the Boxster) before deciding, but I was totally new to the performance car experience, so I wasn't too sure I could trust my impressions. But now that I have over 19k miles with Bluesie under my belt, it was great to be able to take a ride with Rick Hunter in his ///M to compare the feel. Thanks, Brother!

Two comments, neither of which is all that surprising.

First, the //M has WAY more thrust. Hands down. WHAT A RUSH!!! Very noticable, and got my adrenalin flowing.

Second, the 3.0 has a WAY smoother ride. I could feel the intimate texture of the road in the ///M, and though that would be great on smooth tarmac, I think for city driving with potholes and construction, that could get old after a while, and feel a bit harsh at times.

When I ordered the 3.0 (not even the si) my thought was to find a balance between performance and comfort. It's all about pleasure, and those seem to be a trade-off with each other.

Yep, there's no doubt that I wish Bluesie could push you against the seat like the ///M can, but I honestly feel that my descision was the best for what I'm looking for. I LOVE the way Bluesie rides. And since they are pretty similar in styling and handling; I got the g-force envy for sure, but no buyer's remorse.

The ///M is certainly more car, but the the 3.0 rocks!
      07-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

That's what its all about man. As long as YOU love your car, that's all that matters

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I actually found the ride to be smoother in the M version (I can only imagine it was due to the runflat vs non runflat tires)

funny how ride quality is such a personal thing that we all interpret differently
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Before I brought home my M, I test drove both the 3.0si and M back to back. IMO the two were like comparing apples and oranges - with the 3.0si being more of a daily driver, yet still capable of having fun on the track. But I brought home the M because, well I liked it too.

Now that the wife has her 335i Coupe, we use her car on the weekends because I find the less aggressive ride to be a nice change from my weekday routine of thrashing the M.

So I would agree that you should not have buyer's remorse - the 3.0si is a worthy car. And BTW, if BMW puts the 335's engine into a Z then that will be my next ride.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
I had a Z3 and liked it with it's small 2.5 litter 179HP motor. It was an enjoyable car. That said, it did not push you back in the seat like the M. When I test drove the M the power was immediately obvious, but much more to my surprise was the ride. I expected a very hard, rough, bouncy ride, but it wasn't there. I find the ride in the M to be so much better all around than the Z3. I had test driven a 2003 3.0 Z and I also remember the ride in that to be much better than the Z3. So, I agree with the others, buy a car you like, enjoy it, and don't look back.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Garage List
The 3.0's are more of daily drivers ,that's one of many other reasons I choose it over the M; but then again what equals a daily driver is a subjective thing and if you love riding the M as a daily driver then more POWER (330 HP more to be specific!) too you!! Love the M's and am pretty sure my next car will be an M.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Holy Ned!!!!!!
What's goin' on? No flaming, no dissin' the other guys ride. I'm impressed with this secure and sensible bunch of people.
They really are much different cars. When I was 30 I'd have got an M but at 57.....I just don't care, I'll take smooth and sweet over wild and wooly right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I don't think I could ever own any BMW that didn't have an M badge to go with it...maybe when I hit 57 I'll think otherwise

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

It may happen that at 67 I'll want an M. More likely I'll have an older Ferrari. I've been lucky to have driven a few of them and before I check out I will own one. It's just a must do/Rubicon for me.

Some evening when we gather around the campfire I'll tell ya'll about hangin' around the Ferrari-Porsche- Lamborghini dealer in Beverly Hills in the late 60's. I got to drive and ride in some very amazing cars including an early Miura, a 275 LM Ferrari, Maserati Bora, Aston Martin DB4 Zagato Lightweight, and a host of other exotica. It changed my life.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #10
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

You can't go wrong when you're in a Zed. Good writeup, Bluesharp!
      07-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I don't think I could ever own any BMW that didn't have an M badge to go with it...maybe when I hit 57 I'll think otherwise
Agreed. I never even considered the 3.0. Maybe our roads around here are just really good, but no one who has ridden in my car has complained about the ride. I'm happy to drive it in anything but snow/ice. I can't see any advantage to the smaller motor (except it cost less.)
      07-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I actually found the ride to be smoother in the M version (I can only imagine it was due to the runflat vs non runflat tires)
X2!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRes View Post
Agreed. I never even considered the 3.0. Maybe our roads around here are just really good, but no one who has ridden in my car has complained about the ride. I'm happy to drive it in anything but snow/ice. I can't see any advantage to the smaller motor (except it cost less.)
You in KY? I'm from Lexington and visit family there frequently, as well as my kid brother in Louisville. The roads are pretty good there - where there are roads. Not a lot of snow and ice and mild winters mean not as many ruts and potholes.

As for the advantages of the smaller motors, there's lower maintenance costs (the 3.2s need periodic valve adjustments) and lower fuel costs. The 3.0si's engine is actually pretty darn close to the S54's performance - uncomfortably close, by BMW's lights. Some of the performance gap is the S54's higher rev limit, a big chunk is simply gearing.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

When I picked up my car a couple of years ago, there was not a "M" version available, otherwise I would have chosen it. However, I'm now glad I chose the 3.0 version instead.

The 3.0 version is better suited for driving in a city. The throttle is less touchy, and it drinks far less gas. IMO, it's also more fun to drive as I driving closer to the limits of a engine, whereas I found that I was constantly reining in the engine when I drove the M (a real PITA with traffic). I think of the 3.0 as a sporty (not sports) car, which is great for around town and occasional bits of hooliganism.

I'm saving my adrenaline rush for the bike I'm buying next week, and the track car I've penned in the budget for next year.
      07-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #15
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post

funny how ride quality is such a personal thing that we all interpret differently
A) Bluesie doesn't have the optional sport suspension.

B) Pre-facelift runflats are different from facelift ones.

C) Pre-facelift suspension is different from facelift setup, which is supposedly retuned to be less harsh and work better with the runflats.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #16
ChiefRes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
You in KY? I'm from Lexington and visit family there frequently, as well as my kid brother in Louisville. The roads are pretty good there - where there are roads. Not a lot of snow and ice and mild winters mean not as many ruts and potholes.

As for the advantages of the smaller motors, there's lower maintenance costs (the 3.2s need periodic valve adjustments) and lower fuel costs. The 3.0si's engine is actually pretty darn close to the S54's performance - uncomfortably close, by BMW's lights. Some of the performance gap is the S54's higher rev limit, a big chunk is simply gearing.
Yeah, I frequently find areas not served by roads here

Gearing or not, I like my extra 75 horses and the handling of the M. As for maintenance costs, I don't plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty period. A comparably equipped 3.0si would have been $5-6K less than the M, and I suppose it does use a little less fuel. The ///M's attributes more than offset those trivial fees (for me!)
      07-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #17
Arkay402
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW 750Li

For me, the 3.0si I assumed the lease of is a stop-gap measure to test the viability of us having a roadster again after the baby came...and it works!

So, when the lease on it ends in 5/08, we'll be returning it and either buy/lease an Z4M or a Boxster S. While the 3.0si is plenty quick enough, I love M cars and the fact that it comes from the factory WITHOUT the dreaded RFTs (IMHO one of the very few, but a very significant, shortcoming of the Z4) counts as a big plus for me.

As for the 987S, I had a 986S and it was a great little car so wouldn't hesitate getting back into one; though my wife prefers the aesthetics of the Z4 with its classic long hood and short rear front engine proportions.
'99 BMW M3 (Track car - 3/4 way to an IP club racer)
'06 Lexus LX 470 (Infant/Track Support Vehicle!)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #18
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
.....and it drinks far less gas......
What gas mileage do you get? I am getting combined (city/highway) mileage on my ///M of 21-22 MPG. Which is very good I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #19
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
What gas mileage do you get? I am getting combined (city/highway) mileage on my ///M of 21-22 MPG. Which is very good I think.
I had a 3.0i for almost three years. In city driving I got 21-24 mpg and on the highway I got 29-31. I've only had my ///M for 5 weeks and i'm getting 19 in the city and my first road trip will be next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #20
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
I can get 31-32 mpg on long highway stretches, average MPG according to the computer in the car is about 25.5 mpg

on a racetrack I've gotten down to about 11 mpg
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

My car got about 8 mpg around 140-150 mph

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #22
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Never drove a 3.0 - so I cannot comment on the merits.

I do follow a rule in life: always get the most powerful engine available for a particular model. That is why I got the Infiniti FX45 and the Z4M. When I had a Volvo S60 - you guessed it I went for the T5. When the S60R came out I got rid of my S60 T5!!

I would NEVER EVER drive a BMW 525 for example. I would get the M5. I would never settle for a 335i - I would wait for and get an M3:rocks:. If I did not have the $$ for an M5 then I would not get a 5 series....
Appreciate 0