BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Unhappy Service Engine Soon

Out of the blue, the SES indicator lighted up.

Car (2008 135i vert, MT) feels completely normal and have been driving it for a few days with no problems. Oil change isn't due for another few thousand k, and nothing comes up in the Info display.

Car has 32k mi, just out of warranty, HPFP replaced during a service with no symptoms, injectors replaced after limp mode kicked in.

I am not looking forward to an expensive repair. I have decided to order the famous cable and read the codes myself, then go from there.

Do you suggest bringing the car in for check anyway, or should I continue driving?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ View Post
Out of the blue, the SES indicator lighted up.

Car (2008 135i vert, MT) feels completely normal and have been driving it for a few days with no problems. Oil change isn't due for another few thousand k, and nothing comes up in the Info display.

Car has 32k mi, just out of warranty, HPFP replaced during a service with no symptoms, injectors replaced after limp mode kicked in.

I am not looking forward to an expensive repair. I have decided to order the famous cable and read the codes myself, then go from there.

Do you suggest bringing the car in for check anyway, or should I continue driving?
I'd bring it in, it could be a faulty code, it could be something far more serious. By driving it more you're just taking on additional risk, if it's nothing serious it won't cost you an arm and a leg to figure it out at the dealership, and if it is serious you want to have it taken care of asap.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Most of times those are not big deals... you can go to a local shop for free code reading and decide if you want to fix or not
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Reading codes off the OBDII port can cost a lot or nothing, depending on where you go. I assume you can do it with the coding cable but I've never tried. I have a cheap, Harbor Freight, reader that I have used on my other cars. If I get one of these lights that is probably what I will do with the bimmer too. I think I paid $40 for it. It both reads and clears codes. If you do not want to code, something like this could be worthwhile.

I think it is Advance auto parts that will read codes for you for free. A dealer is likely to charge you $50 or more for plugging the device in and reading the codes.

Most codes are generic and the reader is generic. So once you have one, you can use it on all the cars you are likely to own. If you get a vehicle specific code (I never have) you can usually get an explanation on-line.

I am not sure if you can get here without an id but you can read codes with the coding cable. It appears you can get a lot more than you can from a simple reader/clearer. I will try linking this thread from another website:

http://www.**************/showthread...k+engine+light

Jim

P. S. the *********** is b m w c o d i n g.com (without the spaces)

Last edited by JimD; 09-04-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0