BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Exclamation 9/28 - Fresh Information from BMW NA Regarding the Oil Pump Recall

Rather than add-on to the dedicated oil pump thread, I started a fresh thread to increase the visibility of this recently received information. I just spent 45 minutes on a call with an executive at BMW NA (more senior than the customer service representatives) regarding the M5 oil pump recall. Here’s what I learned:

- He confirmed that BMW received a batch of bad oil pumps from their supplier. The problem is related to the impeller shaft, which was either not manufactured to spec or was manufactured with faulty material. The issue causes either the impeller shaft to break or to become separated from the impeller, resulting in the sudden loss of oil pressure. BMW believes, but have not yet verified, that there is no “in-between” – i.e., if it’s working, it’s providing full oil pressure and there is only a loss of oil pressure in the case of a failure of the pump. Therefore, people should not be concerned that damage was done as a result of lower than spec oil pressure unless a low oil pressure warning light was triggered.

- The oil pump manufacturer is currently supplying oil pumps that have this issue corrected, so any cars currently being produced are getting a good oil pump. M5 production has not been halted.

- BMW has its supplier running overtime to produce as many oil pumps as possible. Since production cannot be halted (the M5 is produced in-line with all other 5 series models so shutting down the line is not feasible), oil pumps need to supply both the regular production needs as well as the oil pump recall needs. This is why BMW has not been able to provide a definitive timeline of commencing with the replacement process; they are just getting as many pumps as possible as quickly as possible.

- I explained to him that most of the M5 community understands stuff like this happens, but the lack of information and the inconsistency of the little information that is flowing is exacerbating the situation and infuriating their customers. He understood that and regretted they could not be more communicative. He noted that within 24 hours of learning from the engineering team about the issue, management had marshaled all available resources (including a customer service team in Ohio that he admitted were not as well trained as their counterparts at the NJ HQ) to call owners and have them stop driving immediately. When the calls started last Friday, they literally had no tangible information about the timing of the replacement pumps – they are just starting to get a handle on that now.

- As of right now, BMW thinks they will be receiving the first batch of replacement pumps on October 1st. He did not know whether this was in Munich or here in the US. Once received, they will begin the replacement process immediately in a manner that “fixes as many cars as possible as quickly as possible”. The location of replacement (dealer vs. VDC) will be determined on a case by case basis. For most owners who have already taken delivery the dealership is the likely location, and for those whose cars are at the VDC or on a boat, the VDC is more likely. I asked whether the warranty would be extended on the oil pump and the oil pan gasket and he said that is being evaluated and noted something like that was done with the issue they had on the M3s.

- He confirmed that a special, high-viscosity break-in oil is used in M engines. If the work is performed by the dealer, they will receive the necessary break-in oil along with the new oil pump. The VDC is fully equipped with this oil at all times.

- On the compensation front, he noted that would be handled on a case-by-case basis. He understood my observation that some form of compensation would likely be required, but he was obviously very tight lipped on this topic and only said it was “under consideration.”

- My primary area of focus was obviously the oil pump recall, but I also took the opportunity to ask about the removal of adjustable side bolsters and auto high beams from the F10 M5. He did not know why these features were removed, but confirmed the adjustable side bolsters are not available on any F10 5 series cars, and the auto high beams are available on all F10 5 series cars except the M5.

- He agreed to talk with me again on Monday or Tuesday next week so I can get an update on the timing of the replacement oil pumps, as well as the rationale behind the deleted features if he is able to learn why they were omitted. I will report any additional information I receive.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7

Last edited by AGS; 09-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Thanks AGS.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Excellent AGS, this goes along with the information that I have posted about the side bolsters.

One issue that I have already though of, is that since my M5 is Euro Delivery and I have already done the Break-In Service, I will not need the High Viscocity Engine Oil, and should therefore inform my dealer to make sure that the VDC does not put in the Break-In Oil verses the regular 10W-30 oil when they do the oil pump replacement.

Thank you for the information and update. Having gone through all of this, BMW should try to learn from this and improve its Customer Relations program.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Rather than add-on to the dedicated oil pump thread, I started a fresh thread to increase the visibility of this recently received information. I just spent 45 minutes on a call with an executive at BMW NA (more senior than the customer service representatives) regarding the M5 oil pump recall. Here’s what I learned:

- He confirmed that BMW received a batch of bad oil pumps from their supplier. The problem is related to the impeller shaft, which was either not manufactured to spec or was manufactured with faulty material. The issue causes either the impeller shaft to break or to become separated from the impeller, resulting in the sudden loss of oil pressure. BMW believes, but have not yet verified, that there is no “in-between” – i.e., if it’s working, it’s providing full oil pressure and there is only a loss of oil pressure in the case of a failure of the pump. Therefore, people should not be concerned that damage was done as a result of lower than spec oil pressure unless a low oil pressure warning light was triggered.

- The oil pump manufacturer is currently supplying oil pumps that have this issue corrected, so any cars currently being produced are getting a good oil pump. M5 production has not been halted.

- BMW has its supplier running overtime to produce as many oil pumps as possible. Since production cannot be halted (the M5 is produced in-line with all other 5 series models so shutting down the line is not feasible), oil pumps need to supply both the regular production needs as well as the oil pump recall needs. This is why BMW has not been able to provide a definitive timeline of commencing with the replacement process; they are just getting as many pumps as possible as quickly as possible.

- I explained to him that most of the M5 community understands stuff like this happens, but the lack of information and the inconsistency of the little information that is flowing is exacerbating the situation and infuriating their customers. He understood that and regretted they could not be more communicative. He noted that within 24 hours of learning from the engineering team about the issue, management had marshaled all available resources (including a customer service team in Ohio that he admitted were not as well trained as their counterparts at the NJ HQ) to call owners and have them stop driving immediately. When the calls started last Friday, they literally had no tangible information about the timing of the replacement pumps – they are just starting to get a handle on that now.

- As of right now, BMW thinks they will be receiving the first batch of replacement pumps on October 1st. He did not know whether this was in Munich or here in the US. Once received, they will begin the replacement process immediately in a manner the “fixes as many cars as possible as quickly as possible”. The location of replacement (dealer vs. VDC) will be determined on a case by case basis. For most owners who have already taken delivery the dealership is the likely location, and for those whose cars are at the VDC or on a boat, the VDC is more likely. I asked whether the warranty would be extended on the oil pump and the oil pan gasket and he said that is being evaluated and noted something like that was done with the issue they had on the M3s.

- He confirmed that a special, high-viscosity break-in oil is used in M engines. If the work is performed by the dealer, they will receive the necessary break-in oil along with the new oil pump. The VDC is fully equipped with this oil at all times.

- On the compensation front, he noted that would be handled on a case-by-case basis. He understood my observation that some form of compensation would likely be required, but he was obviously very tight lipped on this topic and only said it was “under consideration.”

- My primary area of focus was obviously the oil pump recall, but I also took the opportunity to ask about the removal of adjustable side bolsters and auto high beams from the F10 M5. He did not know why these features were removed, but confirmed the adjustable side bolsters are not available on any F10 5 series cars, and the auto high beams are available on all F10 5 series cars except the M5.

- He agreed to talk with me again on Monday or Tuesday next week so I can get an update on the timing of the replacement oil pumps, as well as the rationale behind the deleted features if he is able to learn why they were omitted. I will report any additional information I receive.
Thanks for the great update!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Great update. Thanks for your work informing the board about this.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

fantastic and very thorough findings... best yet. thank you for your diligence with this, AGS
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Buy this Man a Pint!
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Nice work. Thanks for providing this information. It would have been nice if BMW NA had done this on their own but I'll take more information where I can find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; Z8(03)-Blk

Garage List
2003 BMW Z8  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Appreciate the information. Thanks!
2004 Ferrari 360CS, 07 Lotus Exige S
Former M cars: Euro E30 M3, 01 E39 M5, 08 E60 M5, F10 M5, 18 M2Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Thank you for the update. I really appreciate you taking the time and relaying this information to all of us with this problem.

Again, THANK YOU!!!!!
John
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Great info - BMW should compensate you for putting many in this forum at ease.
      09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE

Appreciate the info ...
      09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Thank you for the info. Great job!
      09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Gold star 4 sure. Great info!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Rad67
Rep
Drives: M5, 330Ci

Thanks so much for the very comprehensive update. As one of those looking forward to an ED next month, I've been very curious to here how the delivery schedule has been impacted--which based on what you've detailed, seems to be less of an issue so far. I can only hope that the problem has been properly sorted, but truly feel for anyone who's been negatively impacted thus far.

2013 BMW M5//Imperial Blue Metallic/Silverstone II/Anthracite
ED -- Oct 27
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Porsche997Techart
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Great update - thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Thank you for the info. Great job!
      09-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Thanks for the update!
      09-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE

Just got a call from my dealer and they said I should have my M5 back next week ...
Let's see ...
      09-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK MARKT
Just got a call from my dealer and they said I should have my M5 back next week ...
Let's see ...
The power of Platinum! What did he base his info on to you!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Same question, based on what? We're chomping at the bit for more details. So far one member has posted that they were told they could continue driving the car until the pumps arrive, and now another had been told next week.

I have a special relationship with my dealer and I'm being told that BMW has officially told them nothing, period! More info pending in the next couple of weeks. I've read everything AGS has said and truly appreciate him disseminating the info, but we're still getting mixed info from our dealers.

Having run large technology companies over the years, the lack of official information from BMW to their customer base is shameful. JMO

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Same question, based on what? We're chomping at the bit for more details. So far one member has posted that they were told they could continue driving the car until the pumps arrive, and now another had been told next week.

I have a special relationship with my dealer and I'm being told that BMW has officially told them nothing, period! More info pending in the next couple of weeks. I've read everything AGS has said and truly appreciate him disseminating the info, but we're still getting mixed info from our dealers.

Having run large technology companies over the years, the lack of official information from BMW to their customer base is shameful. JMO
Believe me I understand your pain. IMO what's happening is that BMW is trying (it could be management by hope) to have the replacement pumps (all / some? ) here in the U.S. by sometime Monday , then they have to be allocated and shipped to the respective service centers . I believe that is what the above message has learned . BMW M division is not directly putting out information because they don't want to get caught short again , if something happens (management by hope ?) . Sorry I can't help being sarcastic at this point.
Appreciate 0