BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
SGJB135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Jet black 135i

N55 Downpipe question

Hey guys, well i am new to the n55 scene, i was with the better side before (n54 hehe) . What exactly is the difference from the CPE 5 inch compared to the 3.5 Inch downpipes? More power? Louder? Please let me know, thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

There's going to be sound differences when increasing pipe size to that large, it'll be a lot louder. If you aren't planning on rebuilding the turbo's to handle excessive boost, a 5 inch pipe won't have much bigger effect performance wise than the 3.5" on a stock turbo. Maybe 1-2 HP for the larger size, but when the DP upgrade itself gives you 15-18HP, its not worth considering unless you are building it with a racing purpose.

I went with a catless AR that's 4" and I thought it was too loud, ended up buyin gberk mids to cover the raspiness of just the DP. I wouldn't recommend any larger than 4 on a stock turbo. Even then 4 inch can handle plenty of power output...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
SGJB135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Jet black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MonsterNtheMaking View Post
There's going to be sound differences when increasing pipe size to that large, it'll be a lot louder. If you aren't planning on rebuilding the turbo's to handle excessive boost, a 5 inch pipe won't have much bigger effect performance wise than the 3.5" on a stock turbo. Maybe 1-2 HP for the larger size, but when the DP upgrade itself gives you 15-18HP, its not worth considering unless you are building it with a racing purpose.

I went with a catless AR that's 4" and I thought it was too loud, ended up buyin gberk mids to cover the raspiness of just the DP. I wouldn't recommend any larger than 4 on a stock turbo. Even then 4 inch can handle plenty of power output...

oh i see, I want it to be loud, so a 5 inch will do good lol.
Appreciate 0