BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Canyon Driving & Some issues noticed

So yesterday I took the Go Kart out to play and test some things and for those LA peeps on the forum I went down PCH and played in the Canyons for a bit. Wasn't going crazy but I noticed some things.

1) Running with my JB4 in map 4 (gauge hijack on w/OEM tune) reminds me exactly what the JB4 is doing for me and there is a bigger difference then I remembered/thought. (only ran map 4 for a portion of the drive)

2) I got to do almost an entire run through the canyons with no one in front of me, it was GLORIOUS!!!

3) Some JB4 problems I noticed though. When you are running the tune sometimes the car hesitates off the line or when you hit the gas, I have mentioned this a couple of times and people seem to feel it too but no one seems to be able to explain why, so I will pose it as a question, Does anyone know why and is this "normal"? It really sometimes makes me lose confidence in my car and I don't like it which is why I originally put it in map 4 to see if I could reproduce the issue on a stock tune. Maybe a chargepipe issue?

4) I have a weird sound that I can't figure out but it sounds like it is coming from the passenger's side wheels and sounds like the brakes rubbing but the discs look fine and I am just wondering if this is another normal BMW noise or if I really need to figure out what the heck is going on. It is noticeable in slower speeds but my hunch is that more has to do with the lack of road noise at those speeds then the noise going away at higher speeds.

Anyways it was a fun little test run yesterday. Let me know what you guys think about any of the issues above.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Regarding the throttle response; have you had your intake valves cleaned? That helped a lot on my car. I don't see why response would be different from stock since it is a stock map but with gauge hijack.

As for the brakes. I get some weird noises too as the brakes get dirty which happens pretty quickly with spirited driving. It sucks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
Regarding the throttle response; have you had your intake valves cleaned? That helped a lot on my car. I don't see why response would be different from stock since it is a stock map but with gauge hijack.

As for the brakes. I get some weird noises too as the brakes get dirty which happens pretty quickly with spirited driving. It sucks
Ah crap wasn't clear. I ran map4 to see if I'd get the same issues and I don't. The hesitation is in map 1. My car is only like 4 months old so I can't imagine the valves need a cleaning, which is why I find it odd. I do feel like the brakes are a normal extra BMW noise which is why I'm not too concerned.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapout2taxes View Post
Ah crap wasn't clear. I ran map4 to see if I'd get the same issues and I don't. The hesitation is in map 1. My car is only like 4 months old so I can't imagine the valves need a cleaning, which is why I find it odd. I do feel like the brakes are a normal extra BMW noise which is why I'm not too concerned.
ohh didnt see that detail on the mobile app. perhaps email Terry about this issue then. He's usually super helpful and prompt.

yeah breaks work really well, they just produce a lot of dirt and noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Best thing to do is take a log when the car is sluggish. It'll tell us why. Just going off words it could be anything....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Alright so I might have a theory but does anyone have links to a map of the fuel lines from the tank and I vaguely remember someone mentioning that when the low fuel warning shows up the car changes it performance, is this actually true?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Aright so I think I have figured it out. After doing some research and knowing how car manufactures work I have come up with this explanation. I believe the hesitation and lag I experienced is due to having a low tank of fuel. My issues never came up on a full tank and the last 2 weeks I have let my tank go in the under 40 miles to go level and notice it comes up. The issue is exasperated when I am in my garage lot because its an upward hill and I'm sure BMW wanted to run fuel lines as short as possible so the pump is probably I in the front of the tank thus going up a hill would make the fuel be even lower at the pump. This could also cause the hesitation issue when trying to gun it to overtake on a low tank.

It seems logical but maybe my theory is wrong so let me know what you guys think. But from now on I'm going back to my old habit of not letting the tank get under 1/3. It is just annoying with our tiny 14 gallon tank, oh well.
Appreciate 0