BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
granracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata

Baby seats that fit?

Just picked up a 135i Convertible today and have 5 days to bring it back if not happy with it. The only issue with the car I have is our current baby seat is a really tight fit when facing towards the rear. It was also somewhat of a puzzle to get it inside the car even with the front seat all the way forward. Based on the many car reviews that I read, a baby seat will fit okay.

I know that BMW makes a seat. Does that help with fitment issues? We fully realize that this isn't the "perfect" family car but do want to be able to take the baby with us. This is what I saw:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...y-accessories/

Any help would be really, really appreciated. I like this car and want to keep it!! (I did search, found some threads that talked about the general discussion but couldn't find info about the BMW version or which might fit okay.)

Last edited by granracing; 08-30-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by granracing View Post
Just picked up a 135i Convertible today and have 5 days to bring it back if not happy with it. The only issue with the car I have is our current baby seat is a really tight fit when facing towards the rear. It was also somewhat of a puzzle to get it inside the car even with the front seat all the way forward. Based on the many car reviews that I read, a baby seat will fit okay.

I know that BMW makes a seat. Does that help with fitment issues? We fully realize that this isn't the "perfect" family car but do want to be able to take the baby with us. This is what I saw:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...y-accessories/

Any help would be really, really appreciated. I like this car and want to keep it!!
I hope you figure this out, for the sake of us former bachelors turned husbands / family men lol (me included lol)!!!
      08-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I think you're going to have a really tough time with rear-facing seats in this car. The nice thing about the vert at least is that once you get the carseat wedged into place, you can load/unload the kiddo with the top down. The coupe would be a nightmare. Believe it or not, Recaro makes some really nice front facing seats that are pretty low profile and make loading/unloading not too painful, but of course that doesn't help you until your kid is at least a year old.
      08-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Try this. I'm not 100% sure about rear facing but the olli booster works good in the 1 series for older kids.

http://www.clekinc.com/products/

Here is another potential option but I've never tried it.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
there are lots of posts about rear facing seats fitting in a 1-series. The ones i saw were about the COUPE....not sure about the Convertible though but see the link below where some people say it's doable...i'm sure it is.

One of the reasons i was able to finalize my choice of the 1er is because i found lots of people saying that rear facing seats are perfect in the back in the center. I recently spoke to a 1M owner from this forum who raised their newborn with the 1M and had no issues with rear facing seats in the back.

we are planning kids soon as well....so definitely a priority for me! We refuse to be one of those fat american families that has to sell everything and buy a minivan just because we're having a baby!

see this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490692
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
granracing
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!!

Was sitting at home ready to watch t.v. but instead told the wife I'm going out for a drive! Didn't really want to go home yet did after a bit. This car is cool!!

My wife is pretty damn cool as well. She said that she knows there will be days in the winter when it's snowing, sleeting, or raining when she'll be cursing at me!!! She also said she knows there will be plenty of days she'll be loving me for the choice. I reminded her it makes much more sense than our S2000 and a winter car. LOL

In our case, it's not just about fitting a rear facing seat, but also a booster seat for our 5 yr old. Putting the baby in the middle leaves very little room (really no room) for a booster on either side.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
granracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We refuse to be one of those fat american families that has to sell everything and buy a minivan just because we're having a baby!
Seriously, good for you!!!

I'm into Club Racing and was told how that would quickly go away too. Nope, instead the family made the hobby more enjoyable. It's all a matter of perspective and willingness to adapt to make it work with the new family.
Appreciate 0