BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
chiewy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 135i

Hit & run

Hey guys, I picked up my car in June and I absolutely love it. You know you bought the right car when you can't help but turn back to look at it every time as you're walking away. I park far from everyone, and usually park at end spots to avoid any dings and dents, and I check every corner before I get back in. Wednesday night, because family was over I decided to back in to my driveway (I left a legitimate 8 ft distance between the driveway and curb, you have to be an idiot to back in to my car considering how wide the street is.. God damn Scarborough). I wake up Thursday morning to this:

My initial reaction seeing it was if my radiator/intercooler had stopped working and melted my license plate (lol) but I realized shortly that some donkey hit me.

There is grey/silver paint and judging by where they hit, I'm gonna assume it was a van or SUV. The damage was worse than I thought when I removed the license plate bracket, there's an actual dent the size of a fist at the top left corner.

I did leave Fairview Mall late Wednesday night (around 10), but I don't remember seeing the damage at all when glancing at it (maybe it was dark). There is probably no point to this thread other than my rant, but I guess what I wanna say is don't be a dick, if you're gonna hit someone's car at least leave a note
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Nasty. Could have been worse if you had taken your front plate off though.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I share the same paranoia you have when parking. very sad to see this
Both yorkdale and Fairview mall have horrible parking zones

The ebay is full of 1m look fronts for our bodies. Maybe its a valid option, there is a guy on BMW true north - Milidrag Milidrag, he posts on e90post too. He should be able to help

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

The culprit probably assumed you didn't care if your car was damaged, as you left the dealer advertising plate frame on the car.......

Seriously, it does make one very angry, and it has happened to most of us at some time or other. Just get it fixed (you are not at fault and the car was not moving so your insurance should not be affected), and forget about it.
      09-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
binnkim
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I am so sorry to see this post! I installed a dash cam which covers front and cover, recording 24/7 in case..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
chiewy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 135i

Thanks for the feedback, insurance deductible is already at $500 so there's not much point in going through them since the damage is going to be around $650. I think I'm just bitter about the car being on the road less than 3 months / 4500 km and something like this already happens.

@binnkim, which dash cam did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiewy View Post
Thanks for the feedback, insurance deductible is already at $500 so there's not much point in going through them since the damage is going to be around $650. I think I'm just bitter about the car being on the road less than 3 months / 4500 km and something like this already happens.

Still don't understand why you would not use the insurance as long as no impact on your rates?? Here in BC, that insurance claim would not impact the premium by one cent (rather one nickel as there are no more pennies in Canada.. ).

But, your choice I guess.
      09-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiewy View Post
Hey guys, I picked up my car in June and I absolutely love it. You know you bought the right car when you can't help but turn back to look at it every time as you're walking away. I park far from everyone, and usually park at end spots to avoid any dings and dents, and I check every corner before I get back in. Wednesday night, because family was over I decided to back in to my driveway (I left a legitimate 8 ft distance between the driveway and curb, you have to be an idiot to back in to my car considering how wide the street is.. God damn Scarborough). I wake up Thursday morning to this:

My initial reaction seeing it was if my radiator/intercooler had stopped working and melted my license plate (lol) but I realized shortly that some donkey hit me.

There is grey/silver paint and judging by where they hit, I'm gonna assume it was a van or SUV. The damage was worse than I thought when I removed the license plate bracket, there's an actual dent the size of a fist at the top left corner.

I did leave Fairview Mall late Wednesday night (around 10), but I don't remember seeing the damage at all when glancing at it (maybe it was dark). There is probably no point to this thread other than my rant, but I guess what I wanna say is don't be a dick, if you're gonna hit someone's car at least leave a note
Oh no! That sucks! Might've been Fairview... the drivers there can't seem to drive
      09-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
binnkim
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiewy

I installed Movi brand dashcam. I cant remember the exact name but Movi is the brand name.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

Sucks to see man.

I had a guy to do this to me when trying to park infront of me. Luckily I was walking to the car at the same time he was attempting to park and caught him in the act. Or else he wouldnt have left anything either.

I have a faint mark on my rear bumper of a front plate lol Ill never know who did it. Some people just cant drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - that really sucks. We all feel your pain and have been there too. I had the same thing happen to my rear bumper. G.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnkim View Post
I installed Movi brand dashcam. I cant remember the exact name but Movi is the brand name.
@binnkim do you mean Muvi maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VCC-003-M...&keywords=Movi
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
binnkim
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

http://www.senul.com/

I don't think they have English site. Basically mine is two channel, front and rear. Runs 24/7 until the battery hits 12.5 volt or something. It senses impact and saves that moment, otherwise write over the memory. Fits 32gb micro sd card.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0