BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Always loved this sound in the m3, but I wonder what it is..

When the car is idling it gives off this very slight ticking noise, a bit diesel sounding... what is the cause of it..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains View Post
When the car is idling it gives off this very slight ticking noise, a bit diesel sounding... what is the cause of it..
Injectors
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
miringrains
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Injectors
Figured, the 335i had a different set of injectors and they didnt sound like these do. I love it..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Injectors
rod bearings going out...100% sure..
      04-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
rod bearings going out...100% sure..
Yea that's the other kind of tick that no one wants to hear
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's the other kind of tick that no one wants to hear
everytime i listen and hear a tick i get paranoid because of all the panic here on the forum
      04-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
everytime i listen and hear a tick i get paranoid because of all the panic here on the forum
Same here. But if you've actually heard rod bearing tick in real life (I have), you'll know the difference right away.

The injector is a constant rhythm. While rod bearing is much more random, higher/metallic pitch. More so than injectors. But by that point you really shouldn't be driving it haha. The one I heard was a rental so......
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here. But if you've actually heard rod bearing tick in real life (I have), you'll know the difference right away.

The injector is a constant rhythm. While rod bearing is much more random, higher/metallic pitch. More so than injectors. But by that point you really shouldn't be driving it haha. The one I heard was a rental so......
damn they give M3'S for rentals out in your area....wow
      04-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
damn they give M3'S for rentals out in your area....wow
It was in Munich. I was on business trip and wanted to rent something fun to drive int he Alps and Autobahn. No doubt the car was driven hard literally every mile of its life so I'm not surprised.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Also, at least from what I heard in other cars...Injector rhythm gets drowned out as RPM increases, noise of engine etc..., while the bearing noise increases in tandom with the engine RPM and can get louder...
Bearing failure got me looking for another car.. ....so I looked around for a bullet proof one. However, If its performance car they all have trouble...example: Mustang new Coyote engine cylinder #8 failure, GTR complete transmission failure, Z06 engine grenade, Genesis Coupe transmission failures....if you find one that you think is bullet proof join their forum and you will find what is wrong...just like ours. No escape, so embrace the bearing failure!! Just keep your warranty...

The only way to avoid the fear of loss and waste of money...is to get a car that costs essentially nothing, so if it blows who cares...like a FRS or BRZ...

Last edited by M3-S65; 04-02-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Also, at least from what I heard in other cars...Injector rhythm gets drowned out as RPM increases, noise of engine etc..., while the bearing noise increases in tandom with the engine RPM and can get louder...
Bearing failure got me looking for another car.. ....so I looked around for a bullet proof one. However, If its performance car they all have trouble...example: Mustang new Coyote engine cylinder #8 failure, GTR complete transmission failure, Z06 engine grenade, Genesis Coupe transmission failures....if you find one that you think is bullet proof join their forum and you will find what is wrong...just like ours. No escape, so embrace the bearing failure!! Just keep your warranty...

The only way to avoid the fear of loss and waste of money...is to get a car that costs essentially nothing, so if it blows who cares...like a FRS or BRZ...
Exactly! For me, if you do you are careful and take care of the S65, it'll take care of you. If you for some reason need a rod bearing job (assuming you caught it before it damaged something), at $2k it's not the end of the world for me. No car is perfect, but the smiles to potential problem on the S65 is OK for me. That ratio on an E46 was not for me (didn't want to deal with subframe tear or VANOS).

Funny you mention the FRS/BRZ. If driven hard, they can also have their own issues. Look up injector o-seal. And guess what, it's not an easy job to DIY either.

The only way to get around this is if you buy a brand new car every single time and get rid of it before warranty runs out.

P.S. 991 GT3. The new car BBQ. Even the King of 911's have their own issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly! For me, if you do you are careful and take care of the S65, it'll take care of you. If you for some reason need a rod bearing job (assuming you caught it before it damaged something), at $2k it's not the end of the world for me. No car is perfect, but the smiles to potential problem on the S65 is OK for me. That ratio on an E46 was not for me (didn't want to deal with subframe tear or VANOS).

Funny you mention the FRS/BRZ. If driven hard, they can also have their own issues. Look up injector o-seal. And guess what, it's not an easy job to DIY either.

The only way to get around this is if you buy a brand new car every single time and get rid of it before warranty runs out.

so well put.... just drive the car and if it breaks fix it....we dont buy M3'S to save money...we buy them to be broke....
      04-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I'm glad someone said it. Every performance car has its issues. Also....forums are where everyone complains about them! No one creates threads to say, "ok, odometer just hit 50k and car runs like its new"

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:

car BBQ

I agree about the E46, that's one of the reasons i sold mine and bought a e92... even though my LSB e46 still holds a place in my heart

I read about the rod bearings before i purchased but it didnt seem like an overwhelming problem and there really wasn't any more "common issues"

I noticed this noise but never knew it was the injectors... good to know

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
miringrains
Banned
Rep

When it comes to affording a car, if you cannot afford the repairs you cannot afford the car. On my 335i, my belt slipped and got sucked into my engine right before I sold it. I spent $2000 to take apart the oil pan, and front motor seal to pick parts of the belt out of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
When it comes to affording a car, if you cannot afford the repairs you cannot afford the car. On my 335i, my belt slipped and got sucked into my engine right before I sold it. I spent $2000 to take apart the oil pan, and front motor seal to pick parts of the belt out of the engine.
I agree, to a point. The engine on this car is $25K. I think that kind of repair would fall outside of most peoples reasonable BMW repair expectations. Any single event up to $2k would be reasonable to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
miringrains
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
I agree, to a point. The engine on this car is $25K. I think that kind of repair would fall outside of most peoples reasonable BMW repair expectations. Any single event up to $2k would be reasonable to me.
Well thats a brand new engine, I'm assuming if you buy one from a wrecked car it should be half of that if not less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-BM...f411ae&vxp=mtr

zing
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Well thats a brand new engine, I'm assuming if you buy one from a wrecked car it should be half of that if not less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-BM...f411ae&vxp=mtr

zing
Ok, a $13k used part with 55k miles on it falls outside my expectations for reasonable too.

Lets hope I don't need to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Well, it might be the sound that practically every BMW engine makes ever since time began: a valve tapping noise from the top of the engine. Usually associated with slightly low oil pressure up there in the engine at idling speed; I certainly had that strongly in my 328i inline 6 engine, and I believe I have it now, but more faintly, in the M3. That noise goes away as soon as you increase revs by a few hundred rpms.

By itself this noise does not signify anything, though some folks can't stand it and have half their engine replaced under warranty. My impression is that this noise probably comes back in time no matter what you do, it's just one of those BMW quirks.

Last edited by Candide13; 04-03-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

That sewing machine noise - I like it. I have learned to associate that sound with BMW engines and I think it sounds awesome....the way it's so mechanical and you can almost hear the individual moving components inside the block.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
That sewing machine noise - I like it. I have learned to associate that sound with BMW engines and I think it sounds awesome....the way it's so mechanical and you can almost hear the individual moving components inside the block.
That's the spirit!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Higher repair costs and maintenance costs sure, but I'm not sure anyone really honestly factors in the cost of a new engine when they buy a car though.
Appreciate 0