BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
rich8102
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Need advise. Dealer wrecked my front bumper

So I dropped off my 2013 E92 to have the air actuator replaced. So I get a call about an hour ago and the service technician tells me that my front bumper got "scratched up". He tells me that they need to keep the car for another two days, take the bumper off and repaint the entire thing. Talk about being pissed off! And to top it off I dropped my car off there last Friday for the air actuator they still have it. They gave me a piece of shit Nissan Altima to drive around with a quarter tank of gas. So, I'm looking for advice on anyway that I could be compensated from BMW for all this or do I just bite the bullet??
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

If the bumper itself hasn't been structurally damaged, then if they take it to a great paint shop (maybe you can tell them where you want it to go) and they do a great job, I'd just move on with life. If the bumper is damaged, they obviously owe you a bumper and a great paint job. At the end of the day it's just a plastic bumper, which means it had a great chance of getting scratched anyway at some point in its life, and while it's unfortunate that this happened, it's probably not worth going postal on the dealership for it. We all make mistakes at our jobs because we're all human, and when that happens, all we can do is make sure we do right by the customer as long as said customer is reasonable.

Fwiw, my M3 arrived from the factory with two paint blemishes, one of which required repainting the entire roof (I have the moonroof). Sure I was sort of bummed out, but the dealer paid to send it to an amazing paint shop, which did an immaculate job. Then that shop did another immaculate job when my rear bumper got scraped when I only had 800 miles on the car. It happens.

I've found that in the long term, being a cool customer gets you a lot more than any peace offerings you might get as a result of getting all upset over someone's mistake. The latter strategy might yield a short-term gain, but leaves people hating you, whereas the former nets you the long-term benefits of people appreciating you for being understanding. Plus you'll live longer from not spiking your blood pressure all the time.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-06-2014 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

What is an air actuator?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

It happened to me once. After first oil change after I purchased the car, they drove the car into a curb and scratched up the entire lower edge of the front bumper.

What was worse is that no one mentioned it to me at all. The SA told me the oil change was done, a porter handed me the key and I walked out to see the damage. I walk back in and dragged the service advisor back out to point it out. I get the feeling that if I hadn't brought it up, no one would have mentioned it to me.
      05-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If the bumper itself hasn't been structurally damaged, then if they take it to a great paint shop (maybe you can tell them where you want it to go) and they do a great job, I'd just move on with life. If the bumper is damaged, they obviously owe you a bumper and a great paint job. At the end of the day it's just a plastic bumper, which means it had a great chance of getting scratched anyway at some point in its life, and while it's unfortunate that this happened, it's probably not worth going postal on the dealership for it. We all make mistakes at our jobs because we're all human, and when that happens, all we can do is make sure we do right by the customer as long as said customer is reasonable.

Fwiw, my M3 arrived from the factory with two paint blemishes, one of which required repainting the entire roof (I have the moonroof). Sure I was sort of bummed out, but the dealer paid to send it to an amazing paint shop, which did an immaculate job. Then that shop did another immaculate job when my rear bumper got scraped when I only had 800 miles on the car. It happens.

I've found that in the long term, being a cool customer gets you a lot more than any peace offerings you might get as a result of getting all upset over someone's mistake. The latter strategy might yield a short-term gain, but leaves people hating you, whereas the former nets you the long-term benefits of people appreciating you for being understanding. Plus you'll live longer from not spiking your blood pressure all the time.
I think that is spot on! +1
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
rich8102
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan

Good advise man. +1
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Make sure they fix it better then new and let them know with your wallet that you will not do any more business with them by never going back.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

I agree with jphughan but to give you such a poor loaner seems out of line for a BMW dealership. Especially when you purchase a pricey vehicle and the dealer screws up. Reading other posts, it seems that most people get some sort of 3 series loaner. Sounds like the dealer just looked in their used car lot and pick the lowest value car. Not a very good model for repeat business.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
What is an air actuator?
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:

That is well said sir and great advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
tinman831
Captain
Rep

So now you get your scratched and chipped bumper repainted for free? Sounds awesome! Sucks about the loaner but assuming they do a good paint job, I'd be ok with that. You should check and make sure there's no structural damage underneath. The damage could have been something minor like they dropped a screwdriver on your bumper and scratched it, or they could have ran into a wall.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Why is this always happening? You presume because you drive an expensive luxury car the techs would treat them with care, but they seem to do just the opposite. Bastards
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

I would go along with what jphughan said, but add a couple of "conditions".

Make sure you go and see the damage of the car before hand, if it looks like the bumper is cracked or chipped that you have to create a large fuss about it.

Secondly, I would make sure you at least get a BMW loaner for their mistake. And just bluntly tell them it's embarrassing for the dealership to not have a BMW loaner.

Whenever I think about situations like this, I always ask myself "what have they done for me?". Whether it's a friend asking a favor, or a business selling its services. If you have had good service there and have been treated well previously, then you should lay cool with it. If however, you've been there before and you have been treated unfairly without respect, than exploit the matter.

At the end of the day, I believe life is a two way street. What one does for you, you should be doing the same.
      05-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I agree with that ^ but much to my dismay it seems like being an asshole usually gets significantly more accomplished in these kinds of situations. But don't listen to me.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Had a similar experience with my frozen silver e92. The dealer scratched the driver side mirror cap. They did not mention it until I found it the following morning. I pointed it out and they promised to make me whole. They initially got the wrong color for a repainted mirror cap and then had difficulty getting the frozen silver right. I proposed that they put on the OEM carbon fiber mirror caps instead and they did it. Very cool and they ultimately took care of me. I agree with the other advice about keeping your cool and working with them. Getting angry is usually counterproductive. And my car is now almost fully wrapped in xpel ultimate stealth to protect the paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:

As angry as we all want to get at times, this is a very insightful post that should be followed. We all make mistakes, we are human. Let them make things right w/out being "that" guy.

Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E85 3.0si

Quote:

Absolutely. Took my car in for some warranty work. Got a call to pick up the car after about a week so go over get the key and go out and do a walk around with the SA. Just about done when i see one of my wheels curbed, pretty bad. I show the SA and he starts to hem hah but thinks better of it (I could see it all over his face) and he says he'll take care of it when I bring it in again (had to order some part that was going to take a couple weeks). I had slightly curbed a wheel on the other side and he said they would take care of both of them. Both wheels fixed and look great.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
What is an air actuator?
It's what we used to freak out about back in the day before the rod bearing issue overtook the forum.

Idle Control Valve (ICV)
      05-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

No matter how good the paint shop is, the paint on the front bumper is Not going to be near as good as the factory paint and going to rock chip easy, so id be pissed. matching or not it will never be right.
Im having my bumper redone as we speak by the only BMW authorized dealer in Michigan for the second time (1/16th of a mile from my BMW dealer) because they redid my hood and bumper due to factory defects and now this is the second time there repainting them both cause the shit looked like Hell after 6k miles(small rock chips everywhere!) and i take really good care of my car.

So this time there putting a clear Bra on the bumper and part of the hood, if i was you id ask them to do the same for the hassle, if not youll see quickly that im right.
      05-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #20
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:

I would call that the zen approach, not letting a small mishap ruin a good day and take hold in your mind with recurring negativity episodes that you will revisit each time you see that dealer. Peace of mind has a value too, not just the part on the car. Being the better person brings rewards but I would not go as far as saying it's human error forget it. Many dealers could do much better in customer car care and customer service. But it's not just dealers, it is a societal problem. True customer service started disappearing about 30 years ago and has been on the way to extinction since. What we see now is a parody that talks the talk, sometimes walk the walk but turns to hot air when things get real or tough. Despite what we would like to believe and hear, this society is abusive on power and looks down on whoever does not have it. it's easy to see why nobody would want to be a steward of good customer service in such a society, because most people are unreasonable and think they're entitled to special treatment and especially refusing to give that special treatment to someone else.

The other thing is that customer service should not depend on what show the customer can put up. Some women customer might feel intimidated leaving an open door for some dealers to evade their responsibility. Referring to what several people described like the SA letting the customer drive away with scratches he knows they made hoping he won't notice.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #21
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
No matter how good the paint shop is, the paint on the front bumper is Not going to be near as good as the factory paint and going to rock chip easy, so id be pissed. matching or not it will never be right.
Im having my bumper redone as we speak by the only BMW authorized dealer in Michigan for the second time (1/16th of a mile from my BMW dealer) because they redid my hood and bumper due to factory defects and now this is the second time there repainting them both cause the shit looked like Hell after 6k miles(small rock chips everywhere!) and i take really good care of my car.

So this time there putting a clear Bra on the bumper and part of the hood, if i was you id ask them to do the same for the hassle, if not youll see quickly that im right.

Not true at all. A competent shop will paint it fine and using Flex additive will ensure no chipping or paint problems.

Also FYI just cause it's a BMW certified shop doesn't make it good at all. In fact most BMW coll shops are more production oriented.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #22
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Definitely go down and check the car before they do the job.
If it has just bumper damage, jus let them do it and you have a fresh painted bumper.
If it is worse than that, you should talk to the service manager, and definitely sort something out towards your goods.